4G all but unuseable

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
So yeah, I have always gotten random 4G disconnects(bars turn white), but today its so bad I had to just shut the 4G antenna off and use 3G/wifi. Signal bars have been white and unable to connect constantly. Haven't even rooted yet, still bone stock 2.3.6. And, its happening in areas where I have a solid 3-5 bars of signal. Anyone else ever have this happen? Is this a RAZR, software, or a network issue? I'm starting to get seriously pi$$ed, and I'm on the point of calling Verizon, but I fear they will just want to try and send me a warranty replacement. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So yeah, I have always gotten random 4G disconnects(bars turn white), but today its so bad I had to just shut the 4G antenna off and use 3G/wifi. Signal bars have been white and unable to connect constantly. Haven't even rooted yet, still bone stock 2.3.6. And, its happening in areas where I have a solid 3-5 bars of signal. Anyone else ever have this happen? Is this a RAZR, software, or a network issue? I'm starting to get seriously pi$$ed, and I'm on the point of calling Verizon, but I fear they will just want to try and send me a warranty replacement. Thanks, but no thanks.

I have been having this exact same issue the past few days maybe even the last week. I have only owned the Razr since the beginning of the month, and I want sure what the different colors meant on the 4g icon. But I can tell you that anytime its white, I cant do anything. No browser connection, no facebook, no youtube. And like the OP, mine is dropping signal A LOT. It has its select few times it works good, and then anytime I try to do something it drops out. Sometimes it will drop to 3g, but most times it drops from the Blue 4g icon to the white 4g icon.

I was doing research at work, and on rare occasion some programs were messing up the settings, and so i downloaded a program from Moto to restore the factory 4g settings, and that did not help.

I swear that I have good signal according to my icon right up until I try to do something. Open facebook, lose connection. Load a youtube video, lose connection. At first I chalked it up to just how 4g is being new to it, but this is not normal.

FYI I'm on the 6.12.181 Verizon system version, I am rooted using the motofail method, but only to run SetCPU. I have no other root programs installed.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your having network problems. Although there would be some more posts about this coming from people in your area which i haven't seen the forums. Couple things for your to try: Hold volume down button and power button till the phonw resets. If that dosent work try powering down the phone, pull the SIM card and let sit for about 5mins. Reinstall the SIM card and power up the phone. That should help the phone reestablish its connection to the network. Hope that helps ya.

Reactions: Cbollo and Ahowe125

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your having network problems. Although there would be some more posts about this coming from people in your area which i haven't seen the forums. Couple things for your to try: Hold volume down button and power button till the phonw resets. If that dosent work try powering down the phone, pull the SIM card and let sit for about 5mins. Reinstall the SIM card and power up the phone. That should help the phone reestablish its connection to the network. Hope that helps ya.

I have tried powering it down and back up a few times, but I have not pulled the sim card. I will do that now and see if it helps out. Thanks for the tip.

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As of right now that did not help my issue. I'm still dropping coverage, and the 4g icon keeps switching to white. I currently have 3 bars, and it wont load any facebook data.

Right after I did your suggestion, it was fine and even loaded a 6 minute HD video on the youtube app just fine. Then it started dropping in and out and now the icon has been white for a few minutes.

Could something not be setup on our account correctly? I have tried troubleshooting this issue both inside my house, outside, and had issues at my work inside today.

wolfpackarmy

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
The same things has been happening to me the past few days. Before this, it wasn't really an issue...now it has made 4G unusable. I can't maintain a good 4G connection for more than a minute or two before it goes white.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Having 4g drop out here in South Carolina from time to time also. I am just staying on wifi mostly. Still frustrating.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Are all you guys in the same area? Could just be a Verizon problem. You can call them and I've heard they can disconnect your phone from the network remotely and then have you reconnect. Read that on the forums somewhere.

Just a side note. Does the 4G/3G icon really need to be blue, I thought that was just to signify you were synced with Google. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you have another phone to check?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=172845

Maxx Data Drops

via Razr MAXX

Last edited:

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I am in the Lafayette, Indiana 4G market. From what I have heard about the difference between blue/white signal color is that white means you are detecting google servers(not sure why you would need to connect to google to access Verizon's 4g network), and blue means you are actually connected. And yeah, it seems to drop to white fairly often when I am initiating an app that utilizes data(browser, weather, Tapatalk, facebook, etc).. Hell, just in the time it took me to type this out, it dropped from blue to white and back twice. I will give all the suggested fixes a shot. Frustrating as hell

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where the OP is from, but I'm in Grand Rapids MI.

I just read over that thread you posted.. and one post that explains the issue is very insightful. How true it is i'm not sure, but it does kinda make since.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx/172845-maxx-data-drops.html#post1834826

So I guess we have to just hang out until Verizon gets it figured out.. Sounds like I might be dropping back down to 3g for the time being.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My data problem is with Facebook. It's gotten really bad in the past month (surprise, surprise!). It's so bad that I actually suspect that Facebook is trying to discourage non-monetized mobile use. I suspect this because when FB loses its data connection, I can still connect to other browser-based sites. Plus, I can access FB with no problem from my laptop when running off of my hotspot.

Anyone else noticing this behavior?

wolfpackarmy

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Charlotte, NC. My friends are not having problems with their 3G connections, but when my bars go white I can't even get on 3G. It seems like a software issue to me.

lordwalker

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Save your battery and stick with 3G. I have yet to notice 4G make a huge difference in speed but having it on seems to suck the life out of the battery.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know of 3 people having the same issue in my area. I think there may be some burps in the 4G network recently for some reason.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Dallas and its to they point where everything is loading faster with 3G than 4G, which is fine by me, saves battery.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello Guys & Gals.. Droid Charge here in Calif peeking in on this thread.. 4G drops in and out here as well. I think its a Verizon thing. maybe they are tweaking everything in anticipation of the Zillion Galaxy S3's and RazrMaxx HD's that are going to hit the network soon..

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with my RAZR. And don't even get me started on Facebook--it was virtually unusable for two weeks, although it seems better (but dial-up slow) lately. My daughter has an iPhone on ATT and she's having the same problem--I suspect that's a Facebook thing.

As for the 4G lack of connectivity issue, it's really making my phone hard to use and depend on. I think I'll go back to 3G for awhile and wait things out. I suspect it's a Verizon thing.

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I turned back on 4g today, and fingers crossed its been pretty good for most the day. Facebook, speedtests, browser, and g+ have all been working. I really hope it was just something on their end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
YouTube is super slow on 4g. It takes for ever to start playing a video. But since it starts. It loads the rest of the video fine. But on 3g it starts up quicker.