Display timeout (sleep)

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Before ICS I could set my screen to never time out. Now after ICS I can only set it to time out (now called sleep) after ten minutes maximum. I like having my screen on as I can just turn it off manually when I want to. Is there a way to get this never timeout setting back? Thanks.

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The only stay awake feature I have been able to find is the setting for when it is charging. Under the Developer options, there is the option for "Stay awake" (Screen will never sleep while charging). This setting is handy if you use a dock or keep it on the charger but unfortunately does nothing if not charging.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I see. They also give a warning that screens left on for a long time on same image might cause the image to burn into the screen. How long a time do you think they mean?

williamknitter

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been searching the web for some sort of answer for keeping the display on while curtain apps are running. Thanks. could not find this setting in ICS. This is not exactly what I need but it helps. My car dock charges, so this setting will at least keep my AMP music app awake instead of timing out.
I looked at some apps for that will allow the apps you chose to stay awake, but most reviews on them say they don't really work. Anyone know of a working app to do what I need.
Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Android Assistant for this (and a few other things too). In its battery saver settings, it has a screen timeout setting that still gives the option to never time out. Works fine, and even maintains brightness level when charging (the stock debug option still dims the screen after the timeout period if timeout active). The downside is if you go into the device settings menu and access the display settings for anything (change auto-rotate, brightness, or do nothing), timeout is re-activated until you go into AA to turn it off again. Seen this happen with other apps to stop timeout, so may not be able to bypass the reactivation. Adjusting brightness and such by other means, like the power settings widget doesn't reactivate the timeout.

scoobyxj

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a little late to the table, but I use this app called No Screen. I have it set up (with smart actions) so that when I plug my phone into charge and have the headphone jack plugged in (use the AUX input on my stereo) the screen never times out. I like it because the Auto brightness still works (at leas on my Razor anyway), and at night the screen isn't blaring in my face while I'm trying to drive. You do have to manually shut it down when you disconnect though, but you can also just short press the power button to blacken the screen too. However if you get a text of other notification that lights your screen it will stay lit unless you shut No Screen down.