Droid Razr: Keeps asking select input method after ICS update

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else keep having the select input method in notifications after the ICS update? I am using Swiftkey 3 if that makes any difference. Very annoying keep thinking I have a notification and its this.

Last edited by a moderator:

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keeps asking select input method after ICS update

That's how you change input methods in ICS. Whenever the keyboard is on the screen, it puts that in the notification area. My Nexus did the same thing. I guess if you were changing input methods a lot it would be convenient...

dny238

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone else keep having the select input method in notifications after the ICS update? I am using Swiftkey 3 if that makes any difference. Very annoying keep thinking I have a notification and its this.

This has to be a glitch. It is really annoying.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Its not a glitch. Long press to select input method was removed, and replaced with the notification method

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Falconguard

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

long press menu>manage apps>scroll down to Motorola Input and disable. you shouldn't see this option anymore. you might have to force stop it first.

Do not do this, if you do not have another keyboard you are using.

Gary#AC

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

They have to have a fix for this, it is very annoying. Please allow a "do not show again."

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

long press menu>manage apps>scroll down to Motorola Input and disable. you shouldn't see this option anymore. you might have to force stop it first.

Do not do this, if you do not have another keyboard you are using.

After doing this, I still had to reboot phone to get it to no longer try to recognize the Motorola keyboard. Then had to go into the Language & Keyboard settings and uncheck Google Voice Typing (can still use the microphone button on the Swype keyboard for voice) to get the input selection notice to stop showing up.

Thanks for the to though!

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Anytime your keyboard is opened you will see the keyboard icon in your status bar. Once your keyboard is closed it should go away. I use Go Keyboard and I also get the keyboard icon, but only when my keyboard is opened and on screen.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Why do they need to fix something that isn't broken?? It is an ics feature and without it you can't select your input method. Get used to it

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Actually, yes you can select input method without that notification. :p

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Would you rather waste time going into settings when all you have to do is slide down the notification bar??

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Considering I've never had need to change inputs, the question is moot to me. If someone did need to change inputs, I can see that being quicker, but I don't know anyone that does that. Going by the responses in this thread, sounds like most people pick one keyboard and stick with it, making this feature mostly useless.

rbDroiduser

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

If anybody else wants to post that this notification is not a problem, or "isn't broken," could they please just go for a walk or something instead? This notification constantly appearing is very annoying. They can put an icon next to the paper clip icon, or make it optional. It's not a notification, and does not belong in the notification bar. I have never changed my input method, and possibly never will. The constant notification is very annoying.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Well it's obviously a notification or it wouldn't be there.

It's notifying you of your input method.

Get used to it. That's how it's going to be post-ics. It's not a motorola thing, it's an android thing.

Besides, it goes away as soon as you close your keyboard so what's the big deal? Just ignore it for the few mins you are using your keyboard, chances are you're not looking at the notification bar if you are typing anyway. It's not like it's there all the time, now that would be annoying.

bg0nzales

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Obviously you can't see past your nose, Skip. The bug is that the notification doesn't go away after the keyboard is put away. Sometimes it shows up randomly too. I have this same issue and it's very annoying. If it worked flawlessly, only notifying when the keyboard was in use, I could understand your view.

Hopefully you're not an Android programmer with your "get used to it" attitude.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

I have never seen it come up anytime the keyboard is not open. Not in my 4 ics android phones has that happened once. If you lock the screen when the keyboard is still up then it will still be there. Other than that it should go away as soon as you back out of the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20