GPS takes forever to lock on

wolfpackarmy

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Since the ICS update my GPS in the Navigation app has taken significantly longer to lock on than it used to. With GB it would lock in within 5-10 seconds; now I am left waiting at lest 2-3 minutes (sometimes more) before the GPS on Navigation will lock on.

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any problems, but back when I had my Droid X probably on Eclair, I remember having a little trouble. Downloaded an app called GPS status. USed it to clear and reload gps data. Seemed to give me a quicker lock then. Couldn't hurt to try, not sure if it works for ICS but it was a kewl app in itself. Actual name is GPS Status and toolbox by mobiwia- EclipSim
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....gpsstatus2&feature=nav_result&token=ZD_ATu7f.

rpudner

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure this is an ICS issue, I am in the UK on GB 2.3.6 since March and my lock times have also gone to several mins for about 2 weeks now, finds satellites ok just will not lock,. any one else on GB seen this?

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine has always been slow... I've found that if you know you will be using gps, turning it on 10 minutes ahead of time makes it lock on right away when you open navi

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
On gb i had problem getting a lock. But the gb update helped a little. And now in ics it locks way quicker. It may be where you are located.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

roachman55

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I loved using GPS for Google maps and latitude(my location) using Gingerbread it was instant on and now it took over 3 minutes to work today. Today was first time I tried it since ICS but used a lot with GB with no problems, just tried again and took forever, kept showing what it shows without GPS

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you get that app i mentioned in the second post, it has an option to clear a-gps DATA and then to redownload data. Works really good

scpatl4now

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had problems with GPS taking forever to lock since the ICS update. I run a free app GPS TEST and have cleared AGPS data, reloaded it...no luck. It will see up to 11 satellites as well and SNR is in acceptable ranges (not the best but usable). It really sucks when you get lost or need a gps lock relatively quickly...in fact, the time I've been typing this it is still trying to lock onto something...I've done a factory reset and no luck

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
yep. i agree with all. since ICS GPS lock takes much longer. I use app ENDOMONDO for my running. Used to lock in seconds. Now I have to wait minutes to get GPS lock before starting my run otherwise it wont track.

Something isnt right.

clane493

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure by now everyone has found a resolution, but I just stared having issues with GPS lock on my Droid X and researched a solution for a few weeks. I cleared the cache, reset my phone, all the basic stuff, but then tried this one trick that I read about a few places. If you press on the area where the red battery tab is (without the battery door works best), it should give your phone the capability to lock on to more than one GPS. From reading, this does one of two things, places pressure on something inside the phone OR prevents the copper tab just below the red tab from touching the metal surface (SMALL shiny metallic area) on the battery door (which may be affecting the antenna).

Anyways, made the fix "semi-permanent" by folding a piece of cellafane tape over and over a few times and placing it under the red tab and then installing the battery door (which will be a little snug).

My Navingation now works perfect and I'm getting 8 GPS showing on my GPS Test app.

Hope this is able to help someone.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure by now everyone has found a resolution, but I just stared having issues with GPS lock on my Droid X and researched a solution for a few weeks. I cleared the cache, reset my phone, all the basic stuff, but then tried this one trick that I read about a few places. If you press on the area where the red battery tab is (without the battery door works best), it should give your phone the capability to lock on to more than one GPS. From reading, this does one of two things, places pressure on something inside the phone OR prevents the copper tab just below the red tab from touching the metal surface (SMALL shiny metallic area) on the battery door (which may be affecting the antenna).

Anyways, made the fix "semi-permanent" by folding a piece of cellafane tape over and over a few times and placing it under the red tab and then installing the battery door (which will be a little snug).

My Navingation now works perfect and I'm getting 8 GPS showing on my GPS Test app.

Hope this is able to help someone.

Not gonna help, seeing as this is the razr forum and we can't take our batteries out lol.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles