Charging-usb, car, wall

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know if all three methods of charging are the same in terms of speed and or quality of charge?
I read once that when conditioning a battery for the first time charging through 110 v wall plug charger was better than other methods.

I wonder since all power sources output 5v DC..

Thoughts?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When using a car charger or USB, i guess there's greater potential for the incoming power to be "dirty" with all the other electronics sharing the samesource. So i wouldn't be surprised if you should condition on a true 110 V outlet.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Most car chargers charge as USB just like if you plugged it into your computer. USB charges at about half the rate as the wall charger because it can't output as much power as an AC charger.
My car charger charges as AC and will charge my phone from dead to full in about 2 hours, same as my wall charger :thumbup:

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It isn't so much the charger output. Heck, my car charger is rated double that of my OEM charger. When it comes to charging rates, the cable itself makes a difference and has to be labeled for charging. I think it has to do with how the cable connections are inside the plug.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
#1) pay attention to charger amperage. You can use a charger that puts out more amps than your device is meant for - the device will only draw the amperage it needs.

#2) USB cable quality matters. If you buy any ol' cable off ebay or amazon, don't be too surprised if it can't carry the full amperage your device could potentially draw, and thus result in slower charge times.

Other than that, it shouldn't make much difference, but when it comes to a first-time charge, I'd generally stick to the original supplied charger.

Reactions: menelfloss