Probably stupid question about sideloading update

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the update zip file. Moved it to what I think is the root directory of the SD card. When I boot into recovery, it doesn't seem to find it. It just reverts back to the initial blue options.Why isn't recovery finding it? I'm puzzled. I've never sideloaded an update and tried to install it before. I'm rooted, so I'm familiar with that procedure.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I never even got that far. That's the problem. Yes, I have that page pulled up in my google tabs so that I can remind myself. I even have Matt's Save Root Utility ready to go in case Voodoo doesn't work (some have reported that it doesn't alway work). I need to get to the point of *losing* root in the first place<chuckle>.

- - - Updated - - -

I never even got that far. That's the problem. Yes, I have that page pulled up in my google tabs so that I can remind myself. I even have Matt's Save Root Utility ready to go in case Voodoo doesn't work (some have reported that it doesn't alway work). I need to get to the point of *losing* root in the first place<chuckle>.

Plus, I've already unrooted and saved root under Voodoo.Twice. I'm ready to roll...heck, I've even wiped cache...

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you use option 1 to make sure you are full stock and the re root?

Also, make sure when in recovery you are using the section that says install from sd card you then have to manually select what zip you want to install. I think you may be hitting install update.zip and that's why it can't find it

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you use option 1 to make sure you are full stock and the re root?

Also, make sure when in recovery you are using the section that says install from sd card you then have to manually select what zip you want to install. I think you may be hitting install update.zip and that's why it can't find it

See, that's the thing. When I do "Install from sd card", I choose the root directory. But then the only thing that happens is that it returns to the normal options. I never get the chance to even choose a file. I'm sure it's stupidity on the part of the user. Do I need to be unrooted to do the update? Is that my stupidity?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
See, that's the thing. When I do "Install from sd card", I choose the root directory. But then the only thing that happens is that it returns to the normal options. I never get the chance to even choose a file. I'm sure it's stupidity on the part of the user. Do I need to be unrooted to do the update? Is that my stupidity?

I suspect that I've just found the source of my stupidity <g>. Please confirm.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I was rooted when I did it. You will lose root after but that's why you back it up.

Dumb question, but is your sd card seated right? Make sure it's pushed in until it clicks

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I was rooted when I did it. You will lose root after but that's why you back it up.

Dumb question, but is your sd card seated right? Make sure it's pushed in until it clicks

There are no dumb questions, except mine. I assume that it's seated correctly because I can access it through Astro.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm. Try putting it on your internal sd card also. Also, you're sure your putting in on the root of the card right? That means not in any folders just right in the sd card

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, decided to check to the file using My Computer while tethered to the laptop. It's not there, even though it shows up on Astro. I can't even find it anywhere. So...am downloading it again and will use My Computer to move it from my laptop instead of using Astro to move it from Downloads to root (I had directly downloaded it to the Razr). We'll see if that takes care of it. It's going to take a little while to download it though.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, decided to check to the file using My Computer while tethered to the laptop. It's not there, even though it shows up on Astro. I can't even find it anywhere. So...am downloading it again and will use My Computer to move it from my laptop instead of using Astro to move it from Downloads to root (I had directly downloaded it to the Razr). We'll see if that takes care of it. It's going to take a little while to download it though.

OK. Done. I'm going to retry. Fingers crossed.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I had force close issues too but it went away after a reboot. I haven't had any problems.

If you have the problem of wifi dropping while you are connected see my other post on how to fix it

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I had force close issues too but it went away after a reboot. I haven't had any problems.

If you have the problem of wifi dropping while you are connected see my other post on how to fix it

So far no issues. I'll keep that in the back of my mind though...

TigerWallet

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I also side loaded the JB update and everything went pretty smoothly. I hope all works as well for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums