Problems with wifi disconnecting after jellybean update? Try this

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I know some people have had issues with wifi cutting out after they upgraded to jellybean, well I may have found a fix.

Go to system settings

Click on wifi to the far left to get to the wifi screen

Hit the menu button and hit advanced

Uncheck the box that says avoid poor connections.

The problem usually happens when you have low wifi signal, so it disconnects and then reconnects because it is right on the edge of good signal and poor signal. It has fixed my issues and hopefully it will work for you also.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. You saved me a lot of aggravation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I still have yet to have a wifi drop since I discovered this.

Silly moto, adding secret menu options

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I know some people have had issues with wifi cutting out after they upgraded to jellybean, well I may have found a fix.

Go to system settings

Click on wifi to the far left to get to the wifi screen

Hit the menu button and hit advanced

Uncheck the box that says avoid poor connections.

The problem usually happens when you have low wifi signal, so it disconnects and then reconnects because it is right on the edge of good signal and poor signal. It has fixed my issues and hopefully it will work for you also.

Thanks for the info. I've been having WiFi signal issues when other devices in the house had full signal. Hopefully this works for me as it did for others. (I haven't tried it yet at the time of this reply).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the new Droid OS yesterday (4.1.2). So did my wife on her Droid. Today, we have no WiFi connection. All the computers in the house still have WiFi, only the Droids are affected. It shows excellent WiFi signal strength, but simply will not connect. In fact, it goes through cycles of searching WiFi connections, then WiFi shuts down. I clicked off the advanced menu setting for disabling poor connections. No effect. The Droids continue searching for WiFi, but refusing to connect. Is Google issuing a patch for this crap? Any time soon?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This trick didn't work for me. It's as if the radio no longer has reception. The wifi will see my network, but shows zero bars (only that little dot at the bottom of the signal bar icon). Even when right next to the router. Occasionally it will flick to a full signal like normal, but never stay long enough to even try connecting. Any other thoughts?

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Still happening for me too after the official .16 update. Seems to be mostly with DSL routers in my experience.

Sent from my mobile device.

rlkroll

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Droid Razr. My phone updated to JB on Friday evening. My home wi-fi connection has been working; however, I no longer get a 4g signal at home. I cannot connect to my work wi-fi or any public wi-fi. The 4g/3g signal is hit or miss at work and on the road.

At work, the wi-fi signal shows as strong and tries to connect but never gets a connection. Everything worked on Friday prior to the update.

I have already tried to "avoid poor connections." That didn't help. I also restarted the router at work and turned my phone off and then started both again to no avail.

Mario Cipriano

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I talked with Motorola top level support. There company line is?. Replace your routers. I asked how do I know what routers will work and which will not work. Answer, we do not know sir, we are sorry. Question how will I know what routers I can buy new? Answer, sorry sir we don?t have that information. Question, so you can?t provide me with a list? Answer, no we can?t.

When I travel outside of my home office I will have no idea if I would be able to connect or not. As I mentioned during my phone conversations today. Panera, and McDonalds and the local community college all places where I can?t connect are not likely to replace their routers for me. I have also been to another college here in my community and could not maintain a connection there either. I find it horribly ironic that Google owns Motorola and they still have no solution other than buy new router.

Although not scientific I have also found in the many forums I have visited in the last few days that other Motorola devices are having this issues its not only the Droid line of phones.

We are just out of luck to put it politely.

Jeefers

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Have any of you tried to do a factory reset? I really REALLY don't want to do this, but if it will fix it and that's the only fix, then I guess that's what I'll do, but I don't want to do it unless I know for sure it will fix the problem.

I'm REALLY frustrated with this.

If it's any help I have a router at home that works. It's a Linksys E1000 Wireless-N. The Actiontec at work does not.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you tried to do a factory reset? I really REALLY don't want to do this, but if it will fix it and that's the only fix, then I guess that's what I'll do, but I don't want to do it unless I know for sure it will fix the problem.
Didn't try to reset my fianc?e's original phone, but her refurbish (exchanged for a different reason) phone didn't right out of the box and the reset on it did not fix it. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a reset.

If it's any help I have a router at home that works. It's a Linksys E1000 Wireless-N. The Actiontec at work does not.
Interesting. Motorola may have actually gave Mario correct info instead of blowing smoke. We have an Actiontec at home and the Razr won't connect to it. Will have her try some other places I think.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I talked with Motorola top level support. There company line is?. Replace your routers. I asked how do I know what routers will work and which will not work. Answer, we do not know sir, we are sorry. Question how will I know what routers I can buy new? Answer, sorry sir we don?t have that information. Question, so you can?t provide me with a list? Answer, no we can?t.

When I travel outside of my home office I will have no idea if I would be able to connect or not. As I mentioned during my phone conversations today. Panera, and McDonalds and the local community college all places where I can?t connect are not likely to replace their routers for me. I have also been to another college here in my community and could not maintain a connection there either. I find it horribly ironic that Google owns Motorola and they still have no solution other than buy new router.

Although not scientific I have also found in the many forums I have visited in the last few days that other Motorola devices are having this issues its not only the Droid line of phones.

We are just out of luck to put it politely.

Sadly, this isn't far from the truth it seems. I called up VZW to see what they would say and maybe if they had any other info. The lady connected me with Motorola's tech support and listened in as well while we talked. This rep was either more knowledgable than yours, or they now have more info available. According to this guy, the issue is with some new security protocol that older model routers aren't compatible with. We didn't go into details of what it was exactly as it would have been over my head, but simply put, yes it means some people will have to get a new router to resolve this. Right now, he said there isn't a publically viewable list of approved/unapproved routers that can be used, but they do have one in house and he said he'd put in a request for it to be published on their website. In the mean time, you can call Motorola tech support directly (I don't have the number off hand since VZW made the connection) and give them your router's make and model to see if it should be ok or not, or while you're shopping to find out before you buy. He also said this is an issue with JB and nothing they can patch, as it would mean your phone/connection would be left vulnerable (I'm guessing since it's a security protocol). Not sure if it affects any phone on JB from any manufacturer, but it is something you'll see on any Motorola phone. Joy, I have the Bionic update coming down the pipe. >.<

@Jeefers, since I also have an Actiontec router, he gave me the list of unaproved routers from them. If you can find out the model # of the one at your work, the GT 701, 704, and 724 are not approved for JB.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually encountered this very thing after updating to ICS with an old dLink router. IIRC, it has something to do with the new Internet protocol, v5. Updated to a new Netgear router and no issues since.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Jeefers

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
@Mooncatt

Thanks for the information on both. The router at work is a GT724 so out of luck there...

I remember that I had an old phone at home, albeit not my Razr Maxx which I loved before this, but hey. So I'm just bringing it to work just for the wifi. This is sad. I'm a little tech savvy, but I don't run the IT at my office. The guy came in the other day because we had a separate issue with internet and mentioned we may have to get a new router if they keep messing with the internet service in this area and he said he really really didn't want to because of the extensive networking he's done through it. So I know I'm not going to be able to change a router because my personal phone won't connect to the internet connection.

Oh well. Will keep watch to see if something else can come about this. :(

TheDrTelos

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Redacted in case I'm wrong. All my information is linked to this. I'll put this in a disclaimer. I've heard that clearing partition may help with this issue, from a coworker of mine, and we work with phone support. If it doesn't, I must have heard wrong. Try at your own risk.

jbnknox

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem. After jellybean update Pdanet quit working at all. My Windows 7 laptop would not even show a connection with my Droid Razr Maxx. I tried it on multiple computers with no improvement. I restored to an old image of my hard drive and still would not work. Bluetooth worked for about a week then it quit too. I suspected bad drivers, so installed WinZip Driver updater and found that I had 29 old drivers. After updating all of them, the issue was completely resolved and I was able to tether with PdaNet again. Hope this helps someone!

pattonr

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same WIFI problems after updating to Jellybean. I have resolved this issue and my WIFI is working without any connection problems. The Jellybean update is not compatible with all 802.11 Standards. My Actiontec wireless router only supported 802.11 G. This is the problem with this upgrade. I have upgraded my network to a ActiontecGT784-WN This DSL Wireless router will support 802.11 B, 802.11 G, and 802.11 N The Jellybean upgrade apparently doesn't support 802.11 G So much for backward compatibility! I wasn't going to wait until the next OS fix to correct this Issue. I have read and tried several of the so called "Fixes" for this issue in this forum. None have worked, which led me to investigate further concerning the WIFI compatibility issue, which was the whole issue all along. Hope this Information is helpful. I am running the Jellybean version of Android on a Verizon Razor Maxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith