RAZR a suitable replacement for a DROID 4?

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all. My wife's Verizon DROID 4 got wet and the screen no longer functions. We have the Asurion insurance and they will replace it, but as I'm submitting the claim they say they are out of stock of the DROID 4 and she can either wait a week or have a DROID RAZR 32GB shipped immediately. I have to decide today, but don't know much about the RAXR. So while I'm doing some rapid research in order to help her decide, I also want to solicit your feedback. Have any of you had experience with both devices? What are your impressions?

Looking at the specs, these differences jump out:
Keyboard: No sliding keyboard (this is what originally drew her to the DROID 4, but she has gotten used to the screen keyboard now and would be fine without the slide-out)
Display Size: Slightly larger screen (4.3" vs 4.0")
Display Tech: AMOLED which I think is supposed to be a bit better than the DROID 4's TFT
Size: A tiny bit longer, about the same width, but only half as thick
O/S Version: Jellybean - The DROID 4 just got it, but it looks like the RAZR just got it as well
UI: Looks like the RAZR has MotoBlur. I think the DROID 4 is stock, but I'm not certain. She's not a techie and prefers consistency. How different is MotoBlur?

Otherwise, the specs look very similar. She's eligible for a new phone in 4 months, so whichever way she goes it won't be a long-term solution. Any thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Razr is better Droid 4 & is splash proof. You could run it under a faucet with no problems. They even had a tv commercial of them doing that. Again splash resistant NOT water proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the screen because of the green tint due to how the pixels are laid out. It helps on battery life, but something to consider if color accuracy is a concern. I.e do you want whites to actually be white?

There have also been issues with the JB update on the Razr. Not sure how it would compare to the stability of JB on the D4, but I've seen a number of different problems reported. In my case, Swype got completely fubared on two different Razrs, even after a factory reset. There's also the wifi router compatibility issue, which I think may affect the D4 too anyway.