Battery dead? White question mark and no booting Motorola Droid Razr

Marcin Wieczorek

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I had fully discharged my Motorola Droid Razr, then it has died. After charging and trying to restart (power and vol down also), recovery mode etc it woke up, and worked fine. I went to New Years party and discharged the battery then, had no charger. The problem is again the same, but it won't repair itself like it did before. When connected to PC there is a white led, i'm afraid because some people on the internet say its white light of death or something. When connected to wall charger white led blinks once, phone starts booting - red motorola logo, then i can only see a white question mark inside the battery icon. My friend who installed new soft to this phone said its hardware, so I took off the back and measured the voltage, it was 3V (i read that it means 0% charged), then raised a little bit to about 3.05V, then went down to 2.95V (while charging). I dont know if what is the voltage proper for charging, but with usb or not it has same voltage. I measured the voltage using screws holding battery strip, two pins below don't have any voltage between them, but the left pin seems to have battery voltage if I measure it between that pin and ground (right) screw. i dont know it is some kind of battery protection and the pin is a data line, couldn't find any info about that. None information found on this site or any other helped me, i tried some tricks. When I measure the voltage with battery disconected but while charging, it seems that my multimeter discharges capacitors inside the phone, the voltage is about 2.7 i think and drops, if I take probes away it charges back, but I think charging voltage should be above 4V, if not even 5V straight from the USB. I also tried to bend the pins to be sure it has connection with the strip. Nothing helped at all. I think i gave all the info i have now, please help if anyone has any idea. BTW. its rooted and the soft is changed, also the phone is old so there's no warranty.

Thanks, Marcin Wieczorek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Fully discharging a battery is never a good idea, because it puts the battery at risk of a true complete discharge. Once that happens, it's irreversibly dead. This may have happened when you let it die, and then didn't charge it for a while. You might want to try a replacement battery.

Marcin Wieczorek

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah i know a little about electronics, dead battery is so far the best guess. I just wanna ask you guys who know more than me to be sure. I would buy replacement battery on ebay, it costs about 10$ i think. I'm from Poland so I don't wanna pay a fortune for shipping. I'm just not sure if thats the battery's fault. If anybody knows anything about charging voltage i should measure on the screws here i'd be glad. Maybe charging voltage is too low and cannot charge the battery properly.
I have discharged the battery (i mean the first time when the problem occured), but i don't know, i began to charge it when i got home i think, it wasn't like dead for a week or something.