I was bummed to see the official car dock wont allow a case to be on the X so I made one out of a $20 GPS mount I picked up next door at BB. As most of you know, a magnet in the car dock tells the phone to switch into car mode so I just added my own. Its a little tricky finding the sweet spot (bottom left) but once I did, I just cut a small chunk of foam out of the new mount and popped in the magnet. pictures attached.

mount I bought:
    Rocketfish Mobile - Windshield Mount for Select Portable GPS Receivers - Black - RF-WSMNT

Cheers
    PS after 4 years of winmo I am now and android fanboy.
    07-17-2010 10:51 PM
    Thats awesome... thats what a 20 and some ingenuity will getcha
    07-18-2010 12:48 AM
    What's a good size for the magnet?
    07-18-2010 01:01 AM
    BTW, the official car dock DOES fit cases. There is a slide out sleeve built into the dock that holds the bare phone snug, but when removed accommodates the X with cases.
    07-18-2010 01:23 AM
    BTW, the official car dock DOES fit cases. There is a slide out sleeve built into the dock that holds the bare phone snug, but when removed accommodates the X with cases.
    i tried this with the car dock at our store...we took that insert out, but it does NOT work with the shell/holster case or any of the silicone

we are still stumped on which cases actually fit in there
    07-18-2010 08:03 AM
    I just used a little magnet the size of a nickel. Found it in my junk drawer. I think it was the magnet from a set of magnets to hold papers on the fridge. Im sure they sell them for a couple of bucks at Staples or Officemax.

The nice thing about it, is that when you exit the special car dock screen your home screen stay in landscape which you cant do unless its in the dock and reads the magnet.

I used it today for the whole day and it worked flawlessly.
    07-19-2010 10:18 PM
    uh...BB sells a universal car dock that looks pretty much like what you built. can be clipped to a vent, or stuck to the windshield. made by xentris. $19.99.

works great with my X.
    07-19-2010 10:28 PM
    uh...BB sells a universal car dock that looks pretty much like what you built. can be clipped to a vent, or stuck to the windshield. made by xentris. $19.99.

works great with my X.

Hmm ... I am not finding. Linky Please??
    07-19-2010 11:36 PM

works great with my X.
    Right. I put a magnet in mine so it would keep it in car mode and home screen portrait. cant do that w/o a magnet
    07-19-2010 11:53 PM
    Hmm ... I am not finding. Linky Please??
    bought it in-store...sorry.

Right. I put a magnet in mine so it would keep it in car mode and home screen portrait. cant do that w/o a magnet
    mine is mounted landscape and seems to work fine wo/magnet. what am i missing? [edit: not missing anything...running launcher pro] in any case, i think it would be easy to add the magnet to the xentris mount.

but hey, if fabrication is your thing, have at it mcgruber!
    07-20-2010 10:53 AM
    Thanks for the heads up on the slideout. I had not.noticed it. Unfortunately it still won't fit my X with the leather case on it. Worth a try though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-20-2010 11:52 AM
    I saw this on Gizmodo recently and thought about trying it:

Build a Custom Phone Car Mount for Under $10
    07-26-2010 12:03 PM
    I picked up that rocketfish mount and it's great. I rock it portrait mode.

But all of the window and dash mounts put the phone too far away. I found a generic gps mount from iConcepts that had a vent mount. The rocketfish attached directly to this vent mount and I couldn't be happier.
    07-26-2010 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD