Multimedia Station Effect on Screen Orientation

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just discovered that my Multimedia Station, aka Charging Station, can affect the DX screen rotation capability at distances up to several feet away. It occurs with certain relative positions between the DX and the Station, and it temporarily disables the ability to rotate the screen, in my case, when I am on my back, on the left side of the bed, with the MS on the nightstand a couple of feet away.

Now that I know my DX orientation sensor hasn't gone nuts, I can live with it, and work around it, but it does seem like a bit of engineering overkill on Motorola's part to put such a gonzo permanent magnet in the device.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
it's hard to believe that the magnet in the charging station can affect the phone at a distance other than right up next to the phone.

I was playing with a manget last night, and the magnet placement for switching to the "multimedia" dock is very close to the magnet location for the "car dock." all it takes it a slight movement away from the proper magent location, and the dock goes away and the standard home screen comes back. and also, with each dock magnet location being very close to eachother, it would seem that you have to have a magnet right up against the phone in the exact location....otherwise nothing happens.

On your phone, does the dock disappear when you take the phone out of your charging station?

I judt reread your post....and I noticed where you said "on your back." I think that is the problem. when you are lying down on your back and holding the phone up in the air out in front of you.............it is very hard for the orientation sensor to determine which way the phone is oriented. I've seen this with other phones, too. My Blackberry storm was the same way. I found that the screen really needs to be perpendicualr to the ground. if you are on your back, there is a tendency to hold the phone in a manner that puts the screen parallel to the ground.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
it's hard to believe that the magnet in the charging station can affect the phone at a distance other than right up next to the phone.

I was playing with a manget last night, and the magnet placement for switching to the "multimedia" dock is very close to the magnet location for the "car dock." all it takes it a slight movement away from the proper magent location, and the dock goes away and the standard home screen comes back. and also, with each dock magnet location being very close to eachother, it would seem that you have to have a magnet right up against the phone in the exact location....otherwise nothing happens.

On your phone, does the dock disappear when you take the phone out of your charging station?

I judt reread your post....and I noticed where you said "on your back." I think that is the problem. when you are lying down on your back and holding the phone up in the air out in front of you.............it is very hard for the orientation sensor to determine which way the phone is oriented. I've seen this with other phones, too. My Blackberry storm was the same way. I found that the screen really needs to be perpendicualr to the ground. if you are on your back, there is a tendency to hold the phone in a manner that puts the screen parallel to the ground.

Yes, I see your point, but I was definitely holding the screen perpendicular to the ground. The DX is most sensitive to the magnet when the body of the DX is pointed toward the stand, and it does effect orientation operation even when separated by 2 to 3 feet.

I don't know if all of the units are like this, but mine certainly is. It's pretty easy to replicate - maybe I will have to make a video to demonstrate. I don't expect this will be really resolved, and I can work around it, now that I understand the problem. My main point in creating this thread is that others may become aware of the potential effects of the stand, and other strong magnets, and not waste time and stress out trying to "Fix" their DX's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol