Anyone notice that their X gets hotter with a case?

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the hard silicone gloss black case from Verizon, and my phone got hot. Then I got the Seidio Active X, and my phone got hot. Then I tried the Otterbox Commuter, and my phone got hot.

Now all this happens when I use 3G a lot, but it doesn't happen when my phone is naked. I noticed that the phone stays a good 15 to 20 degrees cooler with no case.

The Otterbox is totally not to my liking so I am returning it, but I do like the Seidio Active X. So I decided to do something stupid, but hey, it worked... I took an X-acto knife to the soft skin of the Active X case and cut a square the size of the battery from the case. The hole sits right on top of the battery door and the exoskeleton covers it up, so there is no sign that I had done any mod to the case when it is assembled. This little air barrier turns out to be enough to keep my X from over heating, now it stays a good 8 - 12 degrees cooler.

If you choose to do it too, I should suggest that you make radius corners, so the cut doesn't continue into a tare. I also stayed 3/16" away from the raised part so there would still be ample overlap when the two peices of the case go together.

I am also thinking about cutting small sd micro card size holes just below the battery hole. I think I can easily fit four extra cards in this case. Since 16 gig cards are dirt cheap and can store movies and such... I think it might be a good idea.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, I have the Verizon extended battery installed too, but this happened with the stock battery also.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I use the verizon gloss black cade, phone never gets hot. If I am using the heck out of it, it will get warm. Normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc