Otterbox Flat Out Stinks!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I decided to make a purchase of the Otterbox Defender for my Droid X. I placed the order on Friday, January 14. I paid extra for the overnight delivery. I knew the order wouldn't be shipped until Monday, which is fine. I never received an email notifying me that the order had shipped.

I telephoned this afternoon to find out the status. I discovered after being on hold for 30 minutes, that the order never shipped!

You provide the company with email, phone number and address. Is it too much to ask that they contact you if there is a problem with an order being processed and sent?

What a ridiculous company. They have lost my business.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised. I have no problem spending money on a quality product. I also do not mind spending additional money to have it shipped and received sooner. But, I do take offense to a company not bothering to communicate if there are going to be delay's in that item being shipped. Especially given the fact that I had paid for overnight delivery.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised. I have no problem spending money on a quality product. I also do not mind spending additional money to have it shipped and received sooner. But, I do take offense to a company not bothering to communicate if there are going to be delay's in that item being shipped. Especially given the fact that I had paid for overnight delivery.

You are absolutely right....

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I think they may be having some growing pains with their shipping system... when I ordered my otterbox case for the DX I too never got a shipping notification but the case arrived on time as expected.

I was actually worried about it not showing up on time (because of the lack of a shipping notification) and sent them an email about it in between ordering and the case arriving.... the case arrived a day or two after I sent the email (on time) and I got a reply to my email with an apology for the late response about a week later stating the case had shipped.... to which my response was "well, duh!"

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well they have lost my business. I don't well with unprofessional attitudes. If I'm paying a premium for a premium product I demand quality service.

For a company not to have the ability to contact their shipping and receiving department to find out more information is pathetic. It is also inexcusable.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that your one misplaced order makes a terrible company. Your order just got screwed up...it happens. OtterBox has been the best customer service company I have ever delt with. Sorry you had a bad experience.

JulietBravo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I decided to make a purchase of the Otterbox Defender for my Droid X. I placed the order on Friday, January 14. I paid extra for the overnight delivery. I knew the order wouldn't be shipped until Monday, which is fine. I never received an email notifying me that the order had shipped.

I telephoned this afternoon to find out the status. I discovered after being on hold for 30 minutes, that the order never shipped!

You provide the company with email, phone number and address. Is it too much to ask that they contact you if there is a problem with an order being processed and sent?

What a ridiculous company. They have lost my business.

So you order Friday for an overnight delivery. I would expect them to at least ship it Saturday. But lets say OB doesn't ship on the weekends (I'm not sure if they do or not) Then you call today (A HOLIDAY MIND YOU).. and find out it hasn't shipped yet? Why don't we wait until a normal business day like tomorrow.. Tuesday. If it doesn't ship by then, then you have something to complain about. But it's a holiday weekend. Some businesses are closed. If your that impatient.. go to a Sam's Club and pick one up. (I just saw them there the other day.) If you don't have a membership, I'm sure they are in other stores by now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well they have lost my business. I don't well with unprofessional attitudes. If I'm paying a premium for a premium product I demand quality service.

For a company not to have the ability to contact their shipping and receiving department to find out more information is pathetic. It is also inexcusable.

Good for you sir, besides Trident makes way better cases.....

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So you order Friday for an overnight delivery. I would expect them to at least ship it Saturday. But lets say OB doesn't ship on the weekends (I'm not sure if they do or not) Then you call today (A HOLIDAY MIND YOU).. and find out it hasn't shipped yet? Why don't we wait until a normal business day like tomorrow.. Tuesday. If it doesn't ship by then, then you have something to complain about. But it's a holiday weekend. Some businesses are closed. If your that impatient.. go to a Sam's Club and pick one up. (I just saw them there the other day.) If you don't have a membership, I'm sure they are in other stores by now.

It was supposed to have shipped on Saturday. It didn't ship they didn't know why. MLK is not a holiday for everyone. It wasn't a holiday for UPS or FedEx. Sam's Club did not have the otterbox for the X they only had them for the iphone. that was at three different Sam's that I have been too over the past week.

Most businesses are able to determine the status of their shipments. Otterbox is not able to. They said that they could only request the case be shipped today from their shipping division and nothing else. They could request it be shipped and hope that I receive it tomorrow, but they weren't sure since they could only send messages to their shipping and receiving. In other words, unprofessional outfit. The different divisions do not know what each other are doing.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that your one misplaced order makes a terrible company. Your order just got screwed up...it happens. OtterBox has been the best customer service company I have ever delt with. Sorry you had a bad experience.

When the order is screwed up and they aren't able to offer a reasonable remedy then yes it is a screwed up company.

BFS1983

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tried All the companies...

Otterbox is too expensive for what you get, I also dont like the screen protector, makes touching the phone a pain.

Seidio: The entire case is a lint magnet, the paint peels off

Kragen: I personally think its quite ugly, Its the best of the 3 but I still am not happy with it. A plus though is it has protection for all the ports.

Innocase: Looks good, but I broke the clips off the first time I opened it, returned it for a full refund.

Verizon Kickstand Case: Cheap Cheap Cheap, the kickstand is a great idea for a phone like this but this one was just cheaply made, it had uneven parting lines, the kickstand sometimes came off when I didnt want it too, etc

All the cases accept the Innocase and Verizon Kickstand case are too bulky for me.

I think they can do BETTER then this for this phone, and I wont rest until I find a case that fits my needs.

THE END.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

phelle22

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you're looking for something that not too bulky, offers quality protection, and looks good on the phone then try the Incipio Silicryllic. I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I love it. I got the red and black one it fits the phone amazingly snug. NO GAPS. I did notice that when I first put it in my pocket it collected a little lint, but I haven't noticed anything recently. Here is the link for the case:

Incipio Motorola DROID X SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core, Motorola DROID X, DROID X, Cases, Accessories, Verizon

This case is well worth the $30.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So this is what the outcome of this situation was. Otterbox, their case finally arrived on Thursday. Talk about crappy overnight delivery service. I ordered an otterbox case through Amazon. I paid $32 versus $49 from Otterbox direct. I paid $3 to $4 for next day delivery at Amazon.

So the moral of the story for me is this. Otterbox may design a decent phone case. But, their customer service, and shipping system flat out stinks! They should be ashamed of themselves for the poor quality service they provide. Let Amazon deal with the unprofessional, downright unorganized Otterbox company for you and get the product for far cheaper and a far more efficient delivery system.

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
They may have problems with the shipping department. But when it comes to service after the sale they cannot be beat. Anytime I have had a problem they always been quick to ship me a replacement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ness_lewis

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I skipped over alot of posts, just wanted to say that the Otterbox Commuter case is (to date) the only one that will fit my X with the Extended Battery in....soo...with my discount at Verizon, it makes it worth it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thats horrible service and 30 min hold time is too much I think. They should be able to type your name up or something and pull that order ASAP.

I like the Kraken case but it's a little too think for me. I do like the idea of different skins to make the phone look different.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my Otterbox Commuter & I haven't seen another case out that I would want more.

I ordered it from Otterbox directly the DAY it went for sale & had no problems whatsoever. Otterbox has a great reputation and a lot of positive comments...I think the OP's experience was an anomaly.

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree w/ other posters, it sounds like you had a bad experience which is rare. I ordered yesterday morning w/ them and hadn't gotten an email yet so I just called them, 3 min wait time, and they let me know immediately it had shipped and tracked it over the phone and then sent me an email w/ my tracking information. And after the sale service is beyond great. Have bought 4 cases with them over the years and have never been disappointed. I'm sure that you have had a customer in whatever business you deal in have a bad experience and that doesn't make your company a horrible company that no one should every do business with. Just my .02

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the OP got hosed on this deal, but it's a shame that the title of this thread is floating around out there. OtterBox is a great company with the best customer service I've experienced in many years. Back when I had my BB S1 and S2, if I had the slightest issue with the holster or case, they put a new one in the mail to me the same day I sent them an email. It's hard to find customer service that good any more. One time they sent me an iphone case by mistake and over nighted the correct case, and told me to just keep the iphone case and give it to a friend if I knew any that had that phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt