Netflix: How to make 7.99 for EACH service "Acceptable"

Good idea?

• Total voters

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So, for now: I've switched things around a bit. I kept Netflix streaming for 7.99. I debated keeping the other 7.99 and just going to redbox with that money; but, have since tried out Blockbuster. I'm really liking it thus far.

I was going to switch to Blockbuster when it was still 11.99; 5 in store exchanges, and games. Now that it's unlimited in store returns and 9.99 even better. (Although, I think 5 in store would still be more than enough for me.)

Here's my idea that would make me switch back to Netflix in a heartbeat and pay that 7.99 without the ability to get games:

I know unlimited streaming of new titles will never be doable. If I was 13 and did nothing but sit at home all day and watch movies 7 days a week: there is no price to could possibly ever cover that expense of what I'm getting. So, what about ditching the DVDs all together; but, keeping the same system.

Doing that math: If you paid 7.99 a month for 1 DVD at a time you could average a max of 8-9 DVD's a month. Assuming you immediately watched them and sent them back the next day. (Based on a month starting on a Monday with your disk received that Monday).

Why not make it 7.99 a month for 10 NEW RELEASE streaming titles. One License at a time. Saving money on mailing costs. Saving me the: "Hey, you wanna see this movie? Ok cool, we'll see it Wednesday when it comes". And justifying the extra cost.

More specific: You would rent one movie. Instead of waiting for it in the mail: you can now just stream it. You can watch it as many times as you want as long as you wanted; but, you couldn't watch another film until you released that license to that one. (9 rentals left). Then, you rent the license for the next title and watch it. (8 movies left). If you wanted to watch the first film you watched and released the license to you would have to rent the license for it again leaving 7 rentals left, now.

For each additional movie over 10 you would pay an extra $1 per license. They would also have the same packages. IE. 1 disk at a time (translates to 10 streaming a month) 2 disk at a time (Translates to 20 streaming a month), etc.

2 services. 2 prices.
- Netflix Streaming Classic - 7.99
- Netflix Streaming New Releases
- 10 Rentals - 7.99
- 20 Rental - 14.98

What does everyone think?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's actually a really good idea. I wonder if the studios would go for it though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I don't see why not. Let's say they still had the "month" delay for new releases like they do now. Also, cut out the expense of physical media. Mail, disks, packages. Redbox gets away with $1 rentals (why not the $1 additional for movies over).

I don't know the exact mathematics and costs; but, based on that: I think the costs would offset each other; and, actually revenue higher/cover the cost for the streaming licenses if they cost more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante