Official Desk Dock

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to play music through the speaker line in the back with headphones? i was trying to play music on pandora through it, and it doesnt appear to work. I was really hoping i could use it to play through to headphones, otherwise this dock is next to useless to me, since i planned on using it at work, and i cant very well be playing music out loud like that.

Edit: nevermind, i think i just found my answer. I just noticed the little footnote on one of the millions of new little pamplets that came with the phone that says it requires android 2.2, and since its currently using 2.1, i suppose it wont work yet. -_-

Last edited:

gog8rs#WN

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: official desk dock question

I bought one today as well.
It doesn't go into landscape. Is that a 2.2 thing?
But 39.99 for an OEM dock with wall charger was a pretty good buy IMO.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to play music through the speaker line in the back with headphones? i was trying to play music on pandora through it, and it doesnt appear to work. I was really hoping i could use it to play through to headphones, otherwise this dock is next to useless to me, since i planned on using it at work, and i cant very well be playing music out loud like that.

Edit: nevermind, i think i just found my answer. I just noticed the little footnote on one of the millions of new little pamplets that came with the phone that says it requires android 2.2, and since its currently using 2.1, i suppose it wont work yet. -_-

So you're saying that "Android 2.2" is mentioned on the documents that came with the phone? Well that's good news. Not only is the fact that 2.2 will be coming to the Epic confirmed (which I believe it was anyways), but also shows that it won't be far away before we see it. I mean, why would they note it if it wasn't coming out till way later? That would be problematic for most public consumers who purchase this phone, I believe.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying that "Android 2.2" is mentioned on the documents that came with the phone? Well that's good news. Not only is the fact that 2.2 will be coming to the Epic confirmed (which I believe it was anyways), but also shows that it won't be far away before we see it. I mean, why would they note it if it wasn't coming out till way later? That would be problematic for most public consumers who purchase this phone, I believe.

yup, its mentioned on the dock's "user manual" (its called the user manual, but its really just a small folded piece of paper)

gog8rs#WN

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Dock works now.
I had to download an app from market.
Desk home. Then look for Samsung one.
Works great. Woot.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought one today as well.
It doesn't go into landscape. Is that a 2.2 thing?
But 39.99 for an OEM dock with wall charger was a pretty good buy IMO.

No landscape unless you slide the keyboard out.

Wait, were you talking about the Epic? Sorry, I was in a hurry so I didn't pay too much attention.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I love mine I been using mine as a bedside clock with the Samsung desk home app haven't tried it for music or video yet

Sent from my HTC Evo

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Can you confirm if there's any way to use this somehow with a hard case? if I need to remove the case- I guess this is a no buy for me. Man I miss the touchstone.

camtah

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am taking mine back. It doesn't work with the case on and the volume button on the bottom keeps getting pressed. Also if you have it connected to the PC via the USB thru the docking station, you can't access the SD card directly (mass storage)

bridic

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a free download from the market place for the dock but you are correct that 2.2 is needed to get the stereo jack on the dock to work.

eastrader

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
When I updated to 2.2.1 I thought it would work like my Blackberry dock. I got the note with it working on the next release, but I wanted it to keep the cable from flopping around and have a nice way to see and sync my Epic.
Here is what I found.. Initially the Samsung Desk Home was not available. It only provided charging, I could not sync, had to remove the cable and reinsert it to sync with my desktop software.. Yes sound came out whooHoo.. But it fails if you can not use the USB to sync and mount the EPIC. So in my opinion I have a paperweight charger. Desk Home added no new features over 2.2 except a nice presentation of search, music, gallery etc..

Because 2.2.1 had problems with the screen staying confused between Portrait and landscape, a nd a few other problems like messing up desktop sync, dumping every sms, mms, voice mail into the phone log I removed the root and went back to 2.1 update 1 Eclair. Froyo is not the answer we hoped it would be, battery last 1/2 a day, turn on wifi and it last 1/4 a day.. I am glad Sprint has not pushed it out.

Last edited:

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I like the dock. I'm on 2.1. I use Launcher Pro to allow landscape of my home screen. I also like Tasker which I set up to unlock the phone, set brightness and keep the screen on while powered.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
if you leave it on the dock to long it will cause screen burn in...

I really don't think that's going to be an issue. Super AMOLED screens are rated at 50,000 hours (i think, i know they were saying that they can double it and get it up to 100,000 by the end of 2011 or something last year) which is about about 5.7 years of the screen being on constantly before burn-in, color balance, and half brightness are supposed to start setting in. (regular OLED's have a span of like 15,000, i think, which could become an issue for some, pending on use)

But i think 5.7 years is way longer than anyone is realistically going to be keeping this particular phone, and it will be longer if the screen is turned off, obviously.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread/post around here about someone using the dock, getting screen burn in and having to get replacement from Sprint. I'm not saying it's going to happen to you, but just wanted to let you know.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
if you leave it on the dock to long it will cause screen burn in...

Thanks. That's a good point. The screens may be pretty resistant--time will tell, but I'm not one to take chances with that.
Also a good reason not to plug in overnight because that stupid "battery charged" thing comes on.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread/post around here about someone using the dock, getting screen burn in and having to get replacement from Sprint. I'm not saying it's going to happen to you, but just wanted to let you know.

are we sure it was burn-in and not color balancing issues (which is a bigger problem for any OLED screen than burn-in, and could be an issue if you use the black background on the dock app)?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance