Samsung Vehicle Mount for Epic 4G now here!

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
great find! i was convinced we weren't going to get one. unfortunatly its a little more expensive then i can afford right now... plus i want to hear from someone first if the audio out actually works. someone order this!

aindfan

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Whoever gets one of these - could you please post a few photos of how the swivel works, how well the phone is held in the cradle, ease of docking and undocking, and any other general comments?

Thanks!

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
just recieved mine. pics soon. first thing to note... the clip that secures the device only has a usb plug.. no audio plug. there is an audio out on the back of the holder. maybe this will bypass the whole "no bluetooth when headset is connected" problem? can't test it myself as i don't use bluetooth

the swivel for landscape/portrait is a ball type mount... you have to tighten it in position with a large thumb screw on the back. can't really just swivel it without having to re-tighten

comes with straight cord power adapter. 700ma

Last edited:

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
kCn6SvEYNGOI3DXBFnNCDYciz2qtBBExy7xHpbuCY1s
bdHlbu0qlNjU5GVkm0C95Iciz2qtBBExy7xHpbuCY1s
tZw2q97J5X89_7Pi1Lci_4ciz2qtBBExy7xHpbuCY1s

ppbUdCjsLFvhhm--coJnZociz2qtBBExy7xHpbuCY1s

rEDwmwqVa-PIWyW6isgH0Yciz2qtBBExy7xHpbuCY1s

ugh... gotta figure out why these aren't showign up

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic Car Dock here

Mine came today, too.

Seems well-built, and doesn't turn the volume off like the Home Dock. I may buy one to go on my bedside table!

The charging USB pass-through works to charge. I didn't try it with just a USB cable to my truck's USB port yet (to see if music control would work from Ford Sync).

Curiously, for the last week, I have not been able to find the Samsung Car Home app. I tried Custom Car Home tonight, seemed to work, and customizable, too.

I'll update folks more after actually using it more. One benefit I am looking forward to is better GPS and cell connections up in the windshield in stead of down by the gear shifter.:cool:

pics attached (in my Ford Escape Hybrid, so plugs into the 120V AC outlet)

Reactions: Butters3605
Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my car dock and hopefully will post pics too. I also have been looking for the Samsung car dock app that I have seen pictures of and that is pictured on the box but it is not in the app market. In the instructions it even says use Samsung's Car Home application, but I can't find it. If anyone knows how to get it please let me know.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've been driving around with mine. Here's the official Q-fugee holdiay review.

I replaced a generic Akron car mount with the Samsung OEM mount. I couldn't adjust the Akron to hold the Epic without mashing side buttons, so it was time for the Akron to go.

-- It's rock-solid. The suction cup and clamp are bigger and sturdier than the Akron. The mount arm is heavy plastic and does not pivot at the suction cup. The angle of your windshield is the angle of the mount arm. That's the trade-off for a beefy arm that does not budge.

-- At the end of the arm is a plate on a ball socket, tightened by a large easy to turn thumbscrew. To level or rotate the mount you loosen the big bolt. Once tightened, it's as solid as the arm.

--The phone mounts on a detachable plate that grabs like a pager holster and leaves room for all the side buttons but you can't open the slider. (I think that'd be asking too much.) A clamp sides in from the left and grabs the USB port. The back of the clamp has USB and headphone jacks. A big red sticker over the port warns that the headphone jack won't work until Froyo. Thanks for the thumb in the eye, Sammy.

The back of the plate buckles into the swivel mount and latches. Very nice, very solid, and it lets you plug in the cables first and then put the phone on the mount. Reaching behind once it's wedged between a windshield and a dash is nearly impossible.

Adjusting once the phone is in place is really easy.

--The cord is straight. I prefer coiled. YMMV. Sammy makes .7A chargers instead of 1A chargers like Motorola. Any USB charger seems to work.

--The promised Samsung Car App does not exist. None of the other Car Apps in the Marketplace seemed to be triggered by plugging in the USB power, so I'm not sure what setting I'm missing. They all work fine, though.

In conclusion, this is much sturdier but less adjustable than the Akron mounts. It's also more expensive due to the built in electroinic bits.

I don't normally worry about looks, but it does look very good, too.

It's worth it.

--Qfg

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am glad it is not just me who isn't seeing the Car Home app from Samsung anywhere. I also wish that Samsung had implemented the Car Dock mode better, as Custom Car Home asks to have it set as the "default Car Dock app" but I can't find a way to do that. Anyone else have any better luck at finding a "Default Car Dock App" setting?

Oh - I agree. Rock solid phone dock. I haven't even tried the cigarette lighter that came with it. I just use the Best Buy 110 V AC USB phone charger that plugs into my hybrid's AC plug. Works great!

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i downloaded the car home app a loooong time ago... but honestly it doesn't do much.

can you guys get your phones in landscape mode? i can't while its docked.. i have to navi in portrait which i kind of prefer actually.

seems to put the phone in speakerphone mode too when you answer calls.. also keeps the screen on

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Custom Car Home in Portrait mode, works OK, though doesn't keep the screen on all the time, and doesn't seem to know it's in a Car Dock.

However a new update may help a little bit. Will try it and Car Dock Home v3 tomorrow and update here after that.

thrakkemarn

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, seems the Car Home app is only for 2.2
Has anyone had any luck getting the phone to detect when it's docked and/or set a default Car Home app?
Currently using Custom Car Home and loving it, just which it auto-launched.

alex94z

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the release of the car dock and app were maybe supposed to coincide with the 2.2 froyo release that didn't end up happening last weekend.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
for the last week I am using Car Home Beta, which is pretty sweet. it keeps the speed, heading, and outside temperature at the top of the screen. Stays on .... most of the time. If you switch back and forth to music, it will go off I think. So far I like this a bit more than the others.