Sturdy Car Mount... to use with Seidio Active X case

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of something like this? I've been looking for a car mount/cradle to use for GPS when I'm on the road, but none of the mounts that I've seen appear to work with bulkier case as the Active X series. I'd hate to have to take the case off every time I want to use a car mount. Let me know of anything that you guys have seen that might help me out! I'd appreciate it!

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a proclip car mount + their adjustable holder with tilt swivel with my active X'ed Epic. It's absolutely solid and doesn't move at all compared to some window shield suction mounts i've used (Arkon). I emailed proclip about a holder specifically for the Epic and they told me probably later half of Jan. The only difference I hear is the specific mount will allow the keyboard to slide out? Don't quote me on that one since I'm not too sure.

Reactions: Donmeister85

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a proclip car mount + their adjustable holder with tilt swivel with my active X'ed Epic. It's absolutely solid and doesn't move at all compared to some window shield suction mounts i've used (Arkon). I emailed proclip about a holder specifically for the Epic and they told me probably later half of Jan. The only difference I hear is the specific mount will allow the keyboard to slide out? Don't quote me on that one since I'm not too sure.

Awesome, I'll be sure to look this up! Gonna hit the google searches. :D

guavero2003

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ

So I got my Arkon smartphone mount today after reading decent reviews from AMAZON.com. I currently have it mounted on the vent mount that it comes with on a RAV4. The location makes the phone very accessible accessible. It has a swivel and allows for easy rotation which is very convenient if you do GPS. There is no problem hooking the phone to the car charger either. I have to say that it is not as sturdy as I would've hoped it will be. However, for right angle turns at 20-30mph the mount was in place with no shifting whatsoever. I also have the Active X seidio case, and the mount works perfectly in terms of holding it in place. I have not tested the proclip and if I have issues with the ARKON I will post back.

I have the link from amazon so you can see it for yourself... hope you'll find the right one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU544322

Last edited:
Reactions: Donmeister85

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So I got my Arkon smartphone mount today after reading decent reviews from AMAZON.com. I currently have it mounted on the vent mount that it comes with on a RAV4. The location makes the phone very accessible accessible. It has a swivel and allows for easy rotation which is very convenient if you do GPS. There is no problem hooking the phone to the car charger either. I have to say that it is not as sturdy as I would've hoped it will be. However, for right angle turns at 20-30mph the mount was in place with no shifting whatsoever. I also have the Active X seidio case, and the mount works perfectly in terms of holding it in place. I have not tested the proclip and if I have issues with the ARKON I will post back.

I have the link from amazon so you can see it for yourself... hope you'll find the right one...
Amazon.com: Arkon Universal Windshield with Dashboard and Vent Mount for Smartphones and PDAs (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I had one of those, and i had mounted it in the vent like you had, but it ended up breaking my vent. This was back when i used it with a palm centro, and it only lasted maybe 6 months or so before it broke it out. Though, my car has pretty cheap plastic vents, but just an FYI to anyone looking to use this, i'm letting you know that that was what happened to me.

Reactions: guavero2003

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I had one of those, and i had mounted it in the vent like you had, but it ended up breaking my vent. This was back when i used it with a palm centro, and it only lasted maybe 6 months or so before it broke it out. Though, my car has pretty cheap plastic vents, but just an FYI to anyone looking to use this, i'm letting you know that that was what happened to me.

I'm not a big fan of vent mounting either actually. I'd prefer to use something that mounts to the dash, or a suction cup to the windshield maybe?

guavero2003, how sturdy would you say the windshield suction mount is? Have you used it at all, even as just a test?

Reactions: guavero2003
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use a casemate barely there.
I have used this mount on a few silicone cases and a thick case on an ipod 80gb (old school). Discs don't come off. It is solid.

guavero2003

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Don,

I have not tested the suction, but will give that a try. I have a radar detector which kinda is in the way... so I prefer the vent mount. Eerongal. Thanks for the tip... I'll definitely be on the look out. The vent are made of plastic as well... so we'll see if they break...

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of vent mounting either actually. I'd prefer to use something that mounts to the dash, or a suction cup to the windshield maybe?

Honestly, i've never had a suction cup that was worth it. I can never seem to get 'em to stick for very long. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but i can never seem to get em to work well.

As an aside, if anyone is interested, i ordered this recently. It should be arriving in the next week, if it works well, i'll let you guys know, i've never tried a cup holder one before.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Don,

I have not tested the suction, but will give that a try. I have a radar detector which kinda is in the way... so I prefer the vent mount. Eerongal. Thanks for the tip... I'll definitely be on the look out. The vent are made of plastic as well... so we'll see if they break...

Just let me know when you get around to testing it. Obviously, (i don't know what state you live in) the radar detector is more important. Lol...

Honestly, i've never had a suction cup that was worth it. I can never seem to get 'em to stick for very long. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but i can never seem to get em to work well.

As an aside, if anyone is interested, i ordered this recently. It should be arriving in the next week, if it works well, i'll let you guys know, i've never tried a cup holder one before.

The suction cup that came with my Magellan Maestro 3100 was awesome. That thing stuck like no other! Last year, I got a suction cup mount for my Palm Pre. Lasted about a couple of months, then one hot summer day, it decided to come crashing down. Never stuck worth crap ever since. However, that Arkon SM523-G Slim-Grip Cup Holder Mount looks pretty darn good. Wonder how stable that would be? Please keep me posted!

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I've used mounts from kensington, multiple arkons (including the newest Mega Grip and Slim Grip), and some iphone specific mount (from when I was stuck with an iphone for a year). None of them just came crashing down but the thing i hated about windshield mounts was that, while you're driving, no matter how strong the suction was to your windshield, the mount and your device would vibrate and shake from the engine or road just due to the neck design of windshield mounts. That drove me crazy when using GPS or if a call or message came in.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I've used mounts from kensington, multiple arkons (including the newest Mega Grip and Slim Grip), and some iphone specific mount (from when I was stuck with an iphone for a year). None of them just came crashing down but the thing i hated about windshield mounts was that, while you're driving, no matter how strong the suction was to your windshield, the mount and your device would vibrate and shake from the engine or road just due to the neck design of windshield mounts. That drove me crazy when using GPS or if a call or message came in.

True... There always is a bit of vibration. Even my awesome window mount for my Magellan Maestro 3100 had a little bit of the vibes going on. I still prefer those over vent mounts though personally.

And how were you STUCK with the iPhone? Lol...

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Work thought it was a good idea to get me an iphone. Used it for a year to play with, then spent the next year complaining about it to my boss. Contract went up and they let me decide what to get xD