SUPERUSER 3.0 update error with SRF 1.2

ggoomani

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thought this might help anyone else with same issue. Superuser binary gives error when trying to update. Noticed it after recent app update to 3.0

I have found some info that, in my case, says the issue is my rom. I've enjoyed srf 1.2 for months now, but this is the 1st sign that makes me want to look into a fresh rom install of something more updated.

read here:
"2) Binary updater fails to update binary ? This usually happens because for Superuser can?t write to the system partition where the binary is installed. This can happen for a couple reasons. First, and most common, is that your device has S-ON which prevents the system partition from being written to at runtime. Even if a remount succeeds, and the system thinks that the partition is mounted as rw, you can?t write to it. There are different solutions for different devices, but the easiest usually involves simply updating Superuser through ROM Manager. If you were able to flash a custom ROM, you?ll be able to update Superuser through ROM Manager. The other reason that updating the binary fails is that your ROM Dev did something silly like putting the su binary in /sbin. I have not found a reason why this would be done, but I?ve seen it many times. The problem with putting su in /sbin is that even though you may be able to modify it at runtime, the changes will not stick over a reboot. This is because /sbin is part of boot.img, which gets unpacked and loaded at boot. The other problem with having the su binary there is that it?s almost always the first entry in the PATH. If you?re unfamiliar with the PATH, it?s a list of places that the system will look for a program, once it finds one it stops looking. Superuser will not try to update su if it?s found to be in /sbin because the change will not persist. The fix for this is not quite so easy as before and you?ll likely have to change ROM, and let the developer of whatever you were using know that they?re doing it wrong."

from: Initial impressions of 3.0 written by the author of superuser (claims)

mlauren

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that funky pound sign on my phone this morning as well. Been runnin SRF 1.2 since the day it came out... it's been the best ROM for my needs. Never seen it before today.

Reading through the author's notes, he mentions that having the SU binary installed in sbin can cause this. Sure enough, the SU binary is installed in sbin on SRF 1.2.

Maybe this will be fixed on the next iteration of the SRF ROM, but it doesn't prevent any programs from gaining SU permisions, so its just more of an anoyance than anything.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is why I stay away from SU and other updates unless they are stated as being a "MUST HAVE".... Until the ROMs and all the binaries, etc are written to support such changes to the device as this its a risky move....

Stick with the SU 2.0 guys, it works fine and I see no reason why to jump on SU 3.0 at this point in time.

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to inform everyone, you will now be able to use Superuser and binary 3.0. I had the problem for a while, so I then downgraded. It would still occasionally have the wrong binary, and need a quick update-but it was mostly gone. For those having the pound(root) symbol pop up after every reboot, simply visit Rodderik's Genocide Kernel pagexda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][GPL]Genocide EC05 Kernel 2.0|1.4GhzOC|RomManager|CustomUV|DUALBOOT! 7/5/2011@XDA. He has released an update to Genocide with the most recent voodoo driver, as well as the Superuser 3.0 binary! The post I have linked above has the download right at the top. It's called Genocide2.0_superuser.zip. Simply boot into recovery as soon as you have the kernel on your SD and flash it. Reboot....When the phone boots up completely, Now, if you open the "old superuser"(black+white icon), and scroll to the bottom, you'll see that the Superuser app version is the same, however, you will see a glorious display of a 3.0 under binary version! Victory for yourself!! Wooooohooooo! Go you :p
*NOTE: As far as having the actual updated Superuser app itself installed..(Not sure about "better" performance, since I never saw room for much improvement, but aesthetically,it is nicer I'd say)..all you have to do is accept the updated version from the market after flashing the binary with the Genocide kernel update. I'm not 100% sure if it matters if you update the Superuser app before or after you flash the binary w/ kernel...BUT- I flashed the kernel FIRST, then I updated the superuser app once rebooted. It probably works both ways, however, I did the kernel flash first, and for the last couple days, I have not had to screw w/ the SU app/binary since then. Make sure to thank Rodderik over@XDA for the latest, greatest Genocide kernel that I've linked you to. Our developers work freakin' hard, and we need to say thanks any chance we get. :-* If they wanted anymore than a thanks, they would take their talents elsewhere. :-$
Good luck on the binary. Flash the kernel. Its idiot proof!

Reactions: Paul627g

ggoomani

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I decided to uninstall 3.0 update and unchecked "auto" update box. Like Paul said... there's been no issues with the old version for 1.2... But you all know how it is, we constantly want to update and tweak our phones. SRF 1.2 has been so solid that I am not venturing out much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair