01-23-2012 11:33 PM
140 12345 ...
tools
    to sum it up, my phone already has the latest CWM (purple) with android 2.2.1 rooted. Can i just run Odin, flash back to stock froyo (sprint) then run the gb update, then root my phone? i can then reload all of my saved data from titanium?

one question about titanium - i restored the dialer file (sms,text) and it's now listed as a 3rd party app. isnt it supposed to come back as a system file?

Also, i'll be able to delete the sprint bloatware? my froyo is rooted but still unable to relete some sprint bloatware.

Thanks!
    11-18-2011 06:29 PM
    You guys are the FRAKKING BOMB! Awesome instructions! Thank you soooooo much!

Roberto
    Paul627g likes this.
    11-18-2011 06:38 PM
    I just updated the OP in this thread with a new tutorial I put together. Its literally step by step and anyone should be able to follow and complete rooting your device if followed.
    Thanks for this detailed guide to rooting EI22, Paul627g and all who contributed to it. I finally decided to give it a try, since it didn't look too difficult and it doesn't seem to change *too* much (no new ROM with just this). I didn't have any problems at all. I was a little nervous the whole time, hoping nothing would mess up and wondering what I'd do if it did, but everything went smoothly and probably only took about 15 minutes. I got Titanium Backup after finishing up, ran it, and it asked for root permissions (and I have the app icon), so it looks like I'm good to go. I'm running an app and data backup with it right now. At some point I'll have to get more familiar with this app, but for now, default options and knowing how to backup and restore should suffice. Thanks again! Now I'll have to find out what I can do at this level, with just root access, before I look into installing a new ROM (though I suspect I'll end up doing that eventually).
    Paul627g likes this.
    11-18-2011 07:09 PM
    to sum it up, my phone already has the latest CWM (purple) with android 2.2.1 rooted. Can i just run Odin, flash back to stock froyo (sprint) then run the gb update, then root my phone? i can then reload all of my saved data from titanium?

one question about titanium - i restored the dialer file (sms,text) and it's now listed as a 3rd party app. isnt it supposed to come back as a system file?

Also, i'll be able to delete the sprint bloatware? my froyo is rooted but still unable to relete some sprint bloatware.

Thanks!
    Make you're backups with Titanium or My back up root and then here in the rooting and hacking section you will see a sticky for Mostly Stock EI22. You can flash into that directly from your current setup. Its basically stock with some good mods/fixes for the junk Sammy left behind. Otherwise you can do add you mentioned and user Odin to return to stock Froyo and run through the process.

Sorry i'm mobile so I can't throw in the links for you.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    11-18-2011 07:17 PM
    @Dronak, good to hear. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    11-18-2011 07:19 PM
    I hope this isn't too much of a sidetrack here, but two things related to this: (1) I noticed my Superuser app has an option in the preferences to check for updates to the su binary, and when I tried it, it finds one (v3.0.3) -- will updating cause any problems? (2) I got ROM Manager which I think is a popular tool, but it doesn't seem to recognize the ACS custom recovery I installed during the root process -- would I need to install this app's version of CWM to use it, and is there any sort of guide to using it (or managing ROMs in general)? Thanks for your help.
    11-18-2011 08:54 PM
    I updated SU through SU's built in updater instead of Market and had no problems.

After rooting, one of the best things you can do to the Epic 4G is get rid of CIQ, which is what Sprint uses to collect supposedly anonymous statistics.

Install ei22-nociq-signed.zip with CWM or ACS Recovery, same way you did the SU zip.

On my phone there was quite a noticeable difference after that one.
    11-18-2011 09:44 PM
    I hope this isn't too much of a sidetrack here, but two things related to this: (1) I noticed my Superuser app has an option in the preferences to check for updates to the su binary, and when I tried it, it finds one (v3.0.3) -- will updating cause any problems? (2) I got ROM Manager which I think is a popular tool, but it doesn't seem to recognize the ACS custom recovery I installed during the root process -- would I need to install this app's version of CWM to use it, and is there any sort of guide to using it (or managing ROMs in general)? Thanks for your help.
    I would really stay away from ROM Manager, until recently it didn't work at all on the Epic 4g and it is still "spotty" as to what it will actually do....

Stick with the CWM recovery, you will be much safer and be prone to less trouble.. Trust me on this...
    11-18-2011 09:51 PM
    When I tried to update the su binary from within my Superuser app, it fails at "Copying su to /system..." I'm not sure why, but it's probably not a huge deal, as long as I'm not major versions behind. As for CIQ, yes, I think I would like to get rid of it. However, that post says "Q: Can I flash this on an odexed ROM, including stock? A: No! You must be on a deodexed ROM." Since I've only rooted the stock ROM, I don't think I can flash this mod. So I'd have to flash some other ROM first, right? (And that might already have it, so I wouldn't have to do it separately then.)

As for ROM Manager, if you suggest not using it, I won't. You know a lot more than I do about rooted phones and what works well (or not) on them. It does seem like the app is more for convenience and it doesn't really do anything you can't yourself. So I can stick to doing things manually. Thanks for the advice.
    11-18-2011 10:10 PM
    When I tried to update the su binary from within my Superuser app, it fails at "Copying su to /system..." I'm not sure why, but it's probably not a huge deal, as long as I'm not major versions behind. As for CIQ, yes, I think I would like to get rid of it. However, that post says "Q: Can I flash this on an odexed ROM, including stock? A: No! You must be on a deodexed ROM." Since I've only rooted the stock ROM, I don't think I can flash this mod. So I'd have to flash some other ROM first, right? (And that might already have it, so I wouldn't have to do it separately then.)

As for ROM Manager, if you suggest not using it, I won't. You know a lot more than I do about rooted phones and what works well (or not) on them. It does seem like the app is more for convenience and it doesn't really do anything you can't yourself. So I can stick to doing things manually. Thanks for the advice.
    Yes I wouldn't worry about updating the SU.. Version 3.0 is only a month or so old....

Also yes you can't flash the noCIQ mod on Odex/stock GB rooted.... You will need to flash a deodexed version.
    rando991 likes this.
    11-18-2011 10:24 PM
    Hey guys, so allow me to introduce you to my problem. I'm not all that new to rooting (G1 years ago) but I know this is a different game now with higher end phones, so Odin has me stumped. I downloaded all the necessary files, I have my drivers installed. Entered download mode and when I press start I meet the error of md5 hash value invalid and kernel something something .tar.md5 invalid.. Tips? Thanks in advance
    11-20-2011 11:26 PM
    Hey guys, so allow me to introduce you to my problem. I'm not all that new to rooting (G1 years ago) but I know this is a different game now with higher end phones, so Odin has me stumped. I downloaded all the necessary files, I have my drivers installed. Entered download mode and when I press start I meet the error of md5 hash value invalid and kernel something something .tar.md5 invalid.. Tips? Thanks in advance
    Could be a bad download. You can also rename/remove the ".md5" off the end and try running it without that...
    11-21-2011 06:02 AM
    Yes I wouldn't worry about updating the SU.. Version 3.0 is only a month or so old....

Also yes you can't flash the noCIQ mod on Odex/stock GB rooted.... You will need to flash a deodexed version.
    Thanks Paul, I was just about to ask this question (noCIQ), but you beat me to the answer.
    11-21-2011 07:22 AM
    No prob rando991.. Thats what is great when everyone keeps things inside the main threads like they are supposed to be... Things are much easier to find and get asked and answered once or twice instead of a dozen times...
    11-21-2011 07:30 AM
    Paul, first thanks for putting these checklists together in one place. I always go back to these. Second, I would recommend you put the GPS fix/link on page one of these instructions. My family has 2 Epics and needed to have this flashed after the GB update.
    11-21-2011 07:34 AM
    Paul, first thanks for putting these checklists together in one place. I always go back to these. Second, I would recommend you put the GPS fix/link on page one of these instructions. My family has 2 Epics and needed to have this flashed after the GB update.
    Already have it listed in the INDEX thread sticky when have under MODs....

GPS Fix-Mods

Already WAAAYYYY ahead of you my friend
    rando991 likes this.
    11-21-2011 07:38 AM
    Could be a bad download. You can also rename/remove the ".md5" off the end and try running it without that...
    Sorry about the new account, old one won't sign in with facebook..

I tried renaming it and it became a rar with only the zimage inside, and when I enter it into pda its .tar.md5.tar

But what exactly do you mean by bad download? Would it have anything to do with the fact I download the files onto my phone then move them over to the pc?, because I have no internet there.

Would redownloading the said files be the only fix?
    11-21-2011 02:48 PM
    Worked great on my first try. Thanks
    11-21-2011 06:03 PM
    Sorry about the new account, old one won't sign in with facebook..

I tried renaming it and it became a rar with only the zimage inside, and when I enter it into pda its .tar.md5.tar

But what exactly do you mean by bad download? Would it have anything to do with the fact I download the files onto my phone then move them over to the pc?, because I have no internet there.

Would redownloading the said files be the only fix?
    Well doing the download directly to phone can sometimes have a glitch in it it... All it takes is a hicup in the connection and get a few bad bytes of info transfered to blow the file.

I would try redownloading... On the renaming part, you should be able to rename it to .tar without the .md5..

Maybe open it within 7zip or WinRAR and rename it inside there instead of Windows.

Keep me informed..
    11-21-2011 06:32 PM
    Are there problems with Win7 64 bit systems not recognizing the phone when in Downloading mode?? As soon as I connect, my comp says 'USB Device Not Recognized'. I can't get my computer to recognize my phone. It DOES recognize my phone when not in Downloading mode though. Yes, I have downloaded all Samsung 64 bit drivers in my computer! Just wanted to know if this is a common problem and if theres a possible work around. Thanks!
    11-26-2011 02:15 PM
    Nm! Had to reformat my SD card and now recognizes my device.
    11-26-2011 07:57 PM
    Is there any possible way to root this way using a Mac?
    11-26-2011 11:33 PM
    how do I get the file on the sd card it says its encrypted
    11-26-2011 11:35 PM
    Odin is getting stuck at "<ID:0/004> zImage"

I've left it for about 15 minutes here to see if it would get past it, but no such luck.

I pulled the battery out, tried again.

I pulled the SD Card out and tried again, no luck.

Now, when I boot the phone, I get the image of the computer connected to a phone. Lame. Any tips/help/comments/questions?
    11-27-2011 09:36 PM
    Odin is getting stuck at "<ID:0/004> zImage"

I've left it for about 15 minutes here to see if it would get past it, but no such luck.

I pulled the battery out, tried again.

I pulled the SD Card out and tried again, no luck.

Now, when I boot the phone, I get the image of the computer connected to a phone. Lame. Any tips/help/comments/questions?
    Can you get back into Download Mode? If so I would stop there and go below to grab procedure #1 and get back to stock Froyo EC05 and then OTA/manual update again... Get a functioning device before attempting to move on again....
    [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)
    11-27-2011 09:45 PM
140 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD