01-24-2012 09:29 AM
91 123 ...
tools
    This thread will server as a master list of ROM's, Kernels, Themes, and Other Mods. Have fun flashing!

Post #1 = Index
    Post #2 = FAQ
    Post #3 = ROM's
    Post #4 = Kernels
    Post #5 = Themes
    Post #6 = Other Mods
    11-14-2011 02:47 PM
    ROM's:
    Q: What is a ROM?
    A: The ROM or OS is the image of the operating system. Example, Honeycomb, Gingerbread, Froyo, Eclair, Donut and Cupcake these are considered the ROM. The term ROM(s) is usually used in the rooting and hacking community when referring to a modified or custom version of the original ROM/OS.
    Kernels:
    Q: What is a kernel?
    A: In simple terms, a kernel is the main link to the ROM (OS) and tells it what to do and how to do it. Aside from stock kernels, modified kernels are used for overclocking the speed of processor and controlling of voltage usage, resulting in better battery life and other settings.
    Themes:
    Q: What is a theme?
    A: A theme is a makeover of the ROM's UI (user interface) by means of changing backgrounds, text colors, icons, overall appearance. This could also include battery display mods, and other neat additions.
    Other Mods:
    Q: What is other mods?
    A: This could be modified stock ROM applications, startup & shutdown boot animations and application restores/reverts & other misc. changes that can be flashed or installed.
    mpoehling likes this.
    11-14-2011 02:48 PM
    OS Compatibility: Gingerbread EI22
    General Notes:To download a ROM just click on the "Location" link and it will take you directly to the ROM developers page.

Rom Name: [ROM]Mostly Stock EI22 | Update 4 11/12 | (Added Extended Power Menu)
    Developer: xBTx

Rom Name: [ROM][EI22][ERA] Legendary ROM Beta.4.0 | NoCIQ
    Developer: hoffman1984

Rom Name: [ROM][CWM][EI22] StarskyROMv1.4 No CiQ,CRT,BattMod,Power Menu
    Developer: starskyrob

Rom Name: [ROM] [EI22] [CWM] CleanGB
    Developer: toadlife

Rom Name: [ROM] RandomROM THUNDERHAWK 3.1 [AIO] EI22 (WIP)
    Developer: RandomKing

Rom Name: [ROM][CWM][EI22] SleeperROM 1.0.01 No CiQ, Stockish-CRT-Overscroll,HotSpot Fix
    Developer: SenseiSimple

Rom Name: [ROM]ACS ICS v3.5 (2ndMassBugFix)(noCiQ)
    Developer: marcusant

11-14-2011 02:58 PM
    General Notes: All detailed information can be obtained from the "Flashing" link from the developer.

Kernel Name: [Kernel] IAP's EI22 House Of Samurai OC/UV Kernel* CWM Flashable
    Developer: earthbound (iap)
    Flashing: xda developers

Kernel Name:
    Developer:
    Flashing:

Kernel Name:
    Developer:
    Flashing:

deeman71 and mpoehling like this.
    11-14-2011 03:09 PM
    General Notes: Detailed information can be obtained from the developer by clicking the Flashing link.

Theme Name: [THEME/MOD][ EI22] Stock Theme w/Battery Mod & CRT
    Designer: Paul627g
    Flashing: www.androidcentral.com

Theme Name: [MOD] EI22 Round 1% Battery Mod
    Designer: bigtex06

Theme Name: [ERA][EI22]Green Glow ODEX
    Designer: zanderman112

Theme Name: [THEME][ACS][EI22/EC05][11/20/2011]Nebula Theme
    Designer: darkierawr

Theme Name : [THEMES 11/14] EI22 ICS Theme 0.2-----EC05 PDAniMod_And Themes
    Designer: Gitu sum

Theme Name: EI22 Sculpted Theme V 1.02
    Designer: Digglez

Theme Name: EI22 Cool Blue Theme+1x/3G Mods
    Designer: bigtex06

Theme Name: [ACS][Theme][EI22] Honeycomb Fusion Explosion *Cookies Done!* v2.4
    Designer: shane6374

Theme Name: [THEME][EI22][8LOCKSMOD][PORT]Shake & Bake 11/29/11
    Designer: travismoreno

Theme Name: [Theme] [ei22] SooperPink Beta 2
    Designer: Draghar
    11-14-2011 03:12 PM
    General Notes: Detailed information not provided here can be obtained from the developer by clicking the Flashing link.

Other Mod Name: GPS FIX for Gingerbread leak
    Designer:
    Summary:

Other Mod Name: Turn off shutter sound on camera
    Designer:
    Summary: Modified the "ogg" file that handles the camera click. Can be flashed on odex/deodexed ROMS.

Other Mod Name: [MOD]TSM.MOD_by_MADDOGGN/(ten_locks)[MOD]
    Designer: maddoggn
    Summary: Updated his multi-lockscreen mod to support EI22 Gingerbread
    11-14-2011 03:18 PM
    Reserved....
    11-14-2011 03:19 PM
    Thanks for the list Paul!

I vote Sticky........in place oh EH17's list......

11-14-2011 04:31 PM
    It will be a sticky as soon as the mods come through and do it for me
    11-14-2011 05:08 PM
    Haven't seen one of these kind of threads in a long while. Thanks Paul for bringing it back!
    Paul627g and mpoehling like this.
    11-14-2011 05:50 PM
    Oh ya the full format, I only do that for official release... Not worth all the work on those leak builds....
    11-14-2011 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the list. This looks like it will be helpful for tracking the kind of stuff that's out there for EI22. I think I basically get the difference between the ROM and the kernel, but do custom ROMs usually contain/include custom kernels as well? I'm wondering if I decide to root and install a ROM, will I need to get a kernel too, does the ROM already have one, or if not, will the ROM work fine with the stock kernel? Maybe not worth adding to the FAQ, but since I'm kind of new to this, I was curious about it. Thanks.
    11-14-2011 09:31 PM
    Yes ROMs will normally have their own kernel or use one of the ones available.. Just depends on who it is...Custom ROMs will almost always be something other than the stock kernel...
    11-14-2011 10:31 PM
    Thanks, I guess installing a custom ROM is usually enough then. Is there a good reason to try to install a custom kernel, but not a custom ROM? While I'm writing, I've got a probably stupid question: if we can update our OS using stock recovery and an update.zip file, is there some reason we can't do the same with custom ROMs? Just curious, because it would be so much easier if that worked.

Also, the ACS ICS ROM is at v4 now. The link you have goes to the right XDA post, but they've update the ROM since your post. I just thought I'd let you know in case you want to edit that here.
    11-15-2011 09:22 PM
    Thanks, I guess installing a custom ROM is usually enough then. Is there a good reason to try to install a custom kernel, but not a custom ROM? While I'm writing, I've got a probably stupid question: if we can update our OS using stock recovery and an update.zip file, is there some reason we can't do the same with custom ROMs? Just curious, because it would be so much easier if that worked.

Also, the ACS ICS ROM is at v4 now. The link you have goes to the right XDA post, but they've update the ROM since your post. I just thought I'd let you know in case you want to edit that here.
    Yes I'm aware of the update... I will try and hit that tomorrow...

Actually once you get in and use CWM (Clock Work Mod) recovery its similar to stock except many more options and we can't modify stock recovery to do what we need for custom ROMs.

Kernels, I would say still flash even a stockish version of GB then grab your custom kernel... This was the ROM will work hand in hand with the kernel mods to give you more benefits/improvements over stock.
    11-15-2011 10:57 PM
    Question? If i backup with titanium the fash a ext4 rom like ACS ICS, (im on rooted rfs stock 2.2) and re install all my apps say (jort) is one of them. Them do a data only retore from titanium. Will it work?
    Can my data(or apps) from rfs restore to ext4? What would be the disadvantage of ext4?
    Thanks
    Doug
    11-16-2011 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the list. Will make it much easier to find those roms kernels and other goodies for our enjoyment! Again thank you!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    11-16-2011 04:46 PM
    Actually once you get in and use CWM (Clock Work Mod) recovery its similar to stock except many more options and we can't modify stock recovery to do what we need for custom ROMs.
    Ah, I guess that's why the custom recovery is needed. From what I read, it does seem to function like the stock recovery, which is why I was wondering if we could just name some ROM file update.zip and use stock recovery to flash it. I guess stock recovery just doesn't provide the necessary features.

Now that we have official Gingerbread, will the instructions for doing a factory restore to stock get updated to show how to restore stock EI22? I think what I've seen so far is still for Froyo or maybe leaked Gingerbread. I think before I try rooting, I'd like to know how to get back to the current official ROM. (Preferably without going back to Froyo and flashing up to Gingerbread again.)

Getting root doesn't seem too hard from what I read -- Odin on a patch to make custom recovery stick, then put the custom recovery on, then flash a file to get root access. But what's a good way for someone new to this to progress from there? How much customizing can I do from a rooted stock ROM? Is there much to do with only the custom recovery? Or is it better to just go for a full ROM? Most ROMs seem to include a lot of edits that I'd probably want (GPS fix, no CIQ, help on battery life, etc.), so maybe that's a better option. But if the custom ROMs are still in the process of stabilizing after the official Gingerbread release, maybe I should wait a bit on that. I might try to root and make some flashable edits before then though.

Thanks for all the info. I hope I'm not side-tracking this thread too much.
    11-16-2011 08:55 PM
    If you are looking for a good stable rom to flash so you don't have to do everything on your own then era legendary 4.0.1 is the way to go IMO... very stable and very smooth running... very easy to flash and all directions to do so can be found on the thread for that rom which is posted earlier on this forum. Happy flashing! ;-)

11-16-2011 09:28 PM
    How can I root the EI22 official Gingerbread with a Mac?
    11-17-2011 01:55 AM
    How can I root the EI22 official Gingerbread with a Mac?
    Try searching in the rooting roms and hacks forum as I'm sure someone there has posted this or someone there can help you out with this further... I know there is a different program you use other than odin (no idea what its called) and then the process is probably about the same thing! The rooting forum is where you want to be... hope you figure out your root! Good luck!

11-17-2011 02:33 AM
    Question? If i backup with titanium the fash a ext4 rom like ACS ICS, (im on rooted rfs stock 2.2) and re install all my apps say (jort) is one of them. Them do a data only retore from titanium. Will it work?
    Can my data(or apps) from rfs restore to ext4? What would be the disadvantage of ext4?
    Thanks
    Doug
    Does any know an answer to this?
    TIA
    11-17-2011 06:31 AM
    Does any know an answer to this?
    TIA
    Yes you can do DATA ONLY restore. That is really what we recommend for all restores especially when switching OS versions in this case Froyo to Gingerbread where there are significant changes.

EXT4 is much faster and more efficient than RFS file system which our devices come stock from the factory.
    11-17-2011 06:34 AM
    If you are looking for a good stable rom to flash so you don't have to do everything on your own then era legendary 4.0.1 is the way to go IMO
    Yeah, I figure the main options are to stay close to stock and just modify a few things, or go all out and flash some ROM that will (hopefully) give lots of improvements. I was thinking about starting with the first, just flashing some smaller patches/fixes through custom recovery, and moving to fuller ROMs later on. But some things don't seem possible on just rooted stock, so I'd probably need to be flashing something like the "mostly stock" ROM anyway. And if I'm going to do that, why not just go all the way to a fully-customized ROM? There are so many though that I'm not sure what to pick. I know you can switch around at will once you've got things set up, but isn't that an awful lot of backing up, restoring, etc.? CyanogenMod is one I've heard the most about, but I thought they didn't officially support the Epic, at least not on CM7, and CM9 is probably a few months away, best case. I haven't heard much about others though, not being rooted or anything yet. I realize that different ROMs will be better for different people, so there's no clear "best" ROM, but does anyone know what ROMs are the most popular / installed the most? I kind of doubt there are concrete stats on that, but some indication of what's used most might be helpful in choosing (if a lot of people use a certain ROM, there must be a reason). Thanks.

Edit: BTW, will theme mods typically wipe each other out? Or will they only overwrite what both include? For example, if I installed the Green Glow ODEX mod, which says it includes the 1% battery mod, but decide I want a different color for the 1% battery mod (there are a few in the post about it), can I install just that mod over the green glow one and change only the battery icon? Or will it reset to default everything that's not included in it? Thanks.
    11-17-2011 10:18 AM
    request: im on ei22 cleangb rom. im looking for a black menu theme for all menus. black background and white text. i cant seem to find one to flash. can anyone help direct me if this has been done already? or possible to whip up the tweak for me to flash?

black bg/white text is just easier on the eyes. doesnt need to be fancy, thanks!
    11-19-2011 08:46 AM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD