How to go back from custom rom to stock

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I attempted to go back from a custom rom (legendary) to stock using clock work restore. But on reboot the phone was stuck on the samsung screen. So I was forced to odin back to ec05 and do the whole thing over again. In the future, is there any way to revert back to stock (of course, still rooted) through CWM restore, without having to Odin?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't think this is possible, because you have to remove CWM back to stock recovery. I don't think CWM will wipe itself, which is why you have to restore with Odin.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Tanks guys, but I'm afraid I was misunderstood. I don't want to go back to an unrooted stock state. I want to stay rooted with cwm intact. I just want to take away the custom rom and return to the previous backed up "uncustomized rooted GB". Is there a way? Maybe if I convert first back to rfs?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tanks guys, but I'm afraid I was misunderstood. I don't want to go back to an unrooted stock state. I want to stay rooted with cwm intact. I just want to take away the custom rom and return to the previous backed up "uncustomized rooted GB". Is there a way? Maybe if I convert first back to rfs?
Yes worth a shot... If you have a Nandroid Backup of your stock rooted build then sure, convert back to RFS via CWM and then you should in theory be able to restore your backup.

Reactions: adlebo

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried restoring back to stock rooted gingerbread, by flashing back rfs first, but after flashing rfs and rebooting I got stuck on the samsung screen. So I guess the only way to go back from a custom rom is to odin. Which is a pain in the neck since you have to odin back to froyo and then update to gb and redo the whole shpiel. That is sad because I won't see myself flashing roms if its such a hassle to revert back. If anyone knows of an easier way let me know.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Unless the problem was that I rebooted right after flashing rfs? Would it make a difference if I immediately restored my backup before rebooting? Hmmm...

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think there's some hope/expectation that Samsung will release the Gingerbread file necessary to Odin back to that directly, rather than having to Odin back to Froyo and then update to Gingerbread. Until that happens though, I guess you'd have to use something like the nandroid backup from custom recovery to get back to rooted stock. Of course, you'd have to have made a backup from rooted stock in order to be able to do that. If you don't, then you could go through the process of Odin to Froyo, update to Gingerbread, and root once in order to run a nandroid backup on just plain rooted stock, then you'd have it for future use -- you shouldn't have to do that process again, just use the backup. I think restoring nandroid backups is pretty straightforward, especially if all the ROMs you're using have the same base (e.g., EI22), but I'm pretty new to rooting, so perhaps someone else can provide more information. Paul627g's post indicates that the file system may play a role here, so I guess you'll have to check on that before restoring a backup. I don't know much about that. I'm still just on rooted stock and haven't tried to restore any backups yet (no need to). I hope this is of some help though.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Unless the problem was that I rebooted right after flashing rfs? Would it make a difference if I immediately restored my backup before rebooting? Hmmm...
Yes this is a possibility... I would of done the RFS conversion/restore and then immediately restored the backup of your stock OS just after you originally rooted it.

Otherwise if this don't work then yes Odin back is the only option.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think there's some hope/expectation that Samsung will release the Gingerbread file necessary to Odin back to that directly, rather than having to Odin back to Froyo and then update to Gingerbread.

Yes this would be great if Samsung/Sprint would release the Odin tar files for EI22. But considering that Sprint is obviously still working on test builds after this official release they may hold off on releasing the Odin files if they are planning on updating GB again.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think there's some hope/expectation that Samsung will release the Gingerbread file necessary to Odin back to that directly.

sorry, dont count on it. dev for the epic has ceased on the official level. if it happens, it would be someone at xda and its a very low priority for them.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
dev for the epic has ceased on the official level.

It doesn't appear that way from EL09 rdf....the hits just keep on coming. - xda-developers which shows evidence of builds EK23, EK30, EL07, and EL09 at this time. It may not be a big update, probably just some bug fixes or the like, but it does look like there is still official development going on. Though I agree with your general point -- Sprint and Samsung are unlikely to continue providing official support and updates for the original Epic for much longer.

flastnoles11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Yes flash the rfs and the immediately flash the backup and then reboot. I did it when I had to bring in my phone for service when the mic went out on the phone.... they didn't even check for root or anything which was good cuz I was still rooted. Guess it looked stock enough for them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: adlebo

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes flash the rfs and the immediately flash the backup and then reboot. I did it when I had to bring in my phone for service when the mic went out on the phone.... they didn't even check for root or anything which was good cuz I was still rooted. Guess it looked stock enough for them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Can you provide the link of what you used to convert back to rfs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay