Moving SD files from FROYO to Gingerbread?

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
#1....I just want to say this is the ONLY site I found the CORRECT WAY to install GB on my Epic 4G!

(I had to go back to e13.....then do the OTA E05 update from SPRINT THEN do the GB update!!!! I think rooting changed the E05 I had causing the OTA and the MANUAL not to load correctly! PLUS I think I had to uninstall Superuser AND reformat my SD card.......)

So..prior to this I installed clockwork mod and backed up my current ROM...plus I copied all of the files on my SD card to a flash drive....

SO.....do I dare try to move any of those old files BACK to the SD card to try to restore some of my old information? I lost EVERYTHING!!!!! So ANY info I could get back would be GREAT!

I am not concerned about any app's...just files like the ones that my notepad would access as I had a BUNCH of info I should have written down....and maybe old text messages.....

I guess I could reinstall clockwork and restore my old ROM? Or would that cause the Baseband issue again? (As in would it install the bad E05 file causing me issues reinstalling the GB OTA update?)

I hope I don't sound too confusing......

I am going to root GB...but for now i am going to keep it stock......

Again, THANK YOU TO ALL WHO POST HERE! It's because of YOU I figured out my update issue!!!

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
How did you backup your old data? In CWM or using an app like Titanium? I think from your post it sounds like you did a nandroid backup from CWM. If that's the case, this could be a little complicated. First, don't backup any of your apps going from Froyo to GB. Just reinstall them fresh from Market. Before you do any of this, though, you need to get your data in a format where it can be restored. I would do a nandroid restore to your old froyo ROM with apps and data, install Titanium backup or Mybackup root from the market, and backup your data using one of those programs. Then, you can reinstall GB and root it the same way you did before, and install all your apps as well as Titanium or Mybackup root and restore your data. Make sure it's just your data that you restore, cause restoring apps often causes problems. Good luck.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could attempt a data only restore via CWM... . It may work it may not... Its a 50/50 shot....

1. You could update and root GB. Make a Nandroid backup first so you have a solid running backup.

2. Then select restore/advanced and select data only and see what happens... Worst case situation is things FC's or boot loops and you have to pull your battery and go back into CWM and restore your working stock backup....

If your do it that way I think its worth attempting to retrieve some of your old information. But definitely do NOT do a system (app) restore because certain apps have changed going from Froyo to GB and won't function properly due to the differences in OS.

Last edited:

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Q: r you using 'call-log backup' + 'sms backup' ............gr8 apps to create backups before flashing anything to your device.........you simply restore data right back after you flash a new ROM or update.................never too late to begin doing this.

*edit* .....have successfully run restore fr recovery --in advance-- and selected 'data only'..........wiped dalvik + cache first before restoring data........ran this right over new ROM, worked gr8.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey All..sorry for the late response.....(thought I had it set up to email responses)

I backed up using the CWM recovery. (Backup/restore)

I'll give it a shot once I have the current issue figured out....

I guess the info I had was really not TOO important.....but would be nice to have....the bottom line is I have a copy of the SD card with the recovery image saved, so if I needed to back up my current data.....reinstall the old image, get my info, and restore...I could...but it's a pain....

Again...THANK YOU for the info...I'll let you all know what I find....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome