Issue with Flashing a ROM

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sooo, I finally rooted my Epic (from EI22 stock) two days ago for the first time and followed the instructions that Paul627g had posted. It worked hassle free and very quickly. I used ACSRecovery5 v1.0.0.0 CWM5 Based for the Epic. Now, after doing that I read up and did research on flashing ROMs. I decided to go with the Legendary ROM, which I downloaded it straight from the xda thread. I also watched the video that QBKing77 posted. Before all of this, backed up all of my apps and data on my SD card and then on my PC. I also backed up my current ROM, which took a while, but yeah that was fine too. Then I did a pre-rom install wipe, which wiped correctly. FINALLY, i chose to install the zip file for the ROM and it literally said: "E:Cant open /sdcard/ERA_EI22_RC_2.zip (bad) Installation aborted"

I was shocked, I then tried restoring my backed up ROM and it said "MD5 Mismatch Error" followed by some checksum(?)

At this point I had no idea what to do. I figured that I'd power down the phone and

1) Download a new copy of the ROM
2) Backup my data up and REFORMAT my SD card.

downloaded a new ROM first and same error. Then I formatted my card and nothing changed same problem; It's weird because my computer and the phone still recognize that it is there....

I google'd the MD5 mismatch error, and i found a tool online but I am not sure if I will able to do that myself, I'm not THAT great with these things....

What else could/should I do??

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Feel bad for you, seems you did everything right. I'm not a developer, programmer or expert. Don't blame me if it all goes bad. Just some ideas:
1. try flashing a different ROM
2. could you reflash ACS recovery?
3. flash CWM, and maybe an older (more tried and true) version?? [RECOVERY][GPL] ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE RFS/EXT4/USB CUSTOM FOR EPIC4G - xda-developers
4. Start reading about Odin. If your recovery is not right, you may have to use it to get back up and running.
Hopefully one of the pros will comment.

Reactions: bladeap

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and did two things,
First I downloaded SD Formatter from the sdcard.org website, and did a full overwrite where it deleted EVERY bit of data from my SD card which had already been quick formatted several times. This took about an hour and half.
Second, I downloaded and flashed a different ROM and it worked fine. And then I flashed legendary again and it also worked fine.

Soooo, all in all, I think it was the full overwrite that did it. Had this not work, I was about to Odin it up.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and did two things,
First I downloaded SD Formatter from the sdcard.org website, and did a full overwrite where it deleted EVERY bit of data from my SD card which had already been quick formatted several times. This took about an hour and half.
Second, I downloaded and flashed a different ROM and it worked fine. And then I flashed legendary again and it also worked fine.

Soooo, all in all, I think it was the full overwrite that did it. Had this not work, I was about to Odin it up.

I had a problem where odin wouldn't recognize my phone. I eventually reformatted my sdcard and it worked like a charm! Sometimes, its little things like this that we overlook. Glad you got it to work! I'm on Legendary ROM RC2 as well and LOVE IT!! I just flashed shadow kernel 2 days ago and seems to be working even better than Samurai kernel that came bundled with Legendary ROM. Give it a go when you are ready!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos