Rooted Froyo EPIC looking to update to stable GB rom

ahink54

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Epic when I first got it a early this summer using the one click method in order to remove bloatware and use mobile hotspot for free. I keep getting push notifications for a software update to Gingerbread and since my phone is rooted I cannot execute this update. I was wondering what gingerbread cfw out there is the most like the stock GB in terms or reliability and style. I am no expert on android but I have a basic understanding of it. Here is what my phone is currently running:

Epic 4g
Firmware: 2.2.1
FROYO.ECO5
Clockwork Mod is on v2.5.1.0

Thanks in advanced!

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
First, I would update your CWM using this thread. Download the zip flash for CWM.

Then, you can update your modem to EI22 if you want to. Not really important if you're happy with your reception on EC05, and you can always do this later.

As for ROMs close to stock, I think CleanGB is a good one to try, or if you're more adventurous, I'd check out Legendary which is also good for someone who likes stability.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You should look at the sticky for how to install GB manually. Use odin back to EC05 then odin a odexed or deodexed EI22. Then you can try GBclean or Legendary ROM.

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My experience was I needed to install stock FROYO and then wipe to factory.....then back to EC05....then I was able to do the OTA update and start from scratch.......(And now I'm having an issue rooting GB...but have faith....with help from these guys I'll figure it out..)
It may be a longer process than what the guys are saying above, but this was the only way I could "unroot" the phone.....and uninstall superuser......The phone MUST be unrooted and superuser gone for thr OTA update to install....(again...at least in my experience...)
Regardless.....back up your current rom AFTER you install the new recovery so you can always start from a point you KNEW the phone was working with all of your info!!!

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same starting place as you and did what jmuru suggested. Personally, if I can avoid odin, I will. The ACE ROM version I'm using has been stable for me. If you look at my posts, I did a detailed one on my process for someone.