I think I broke my install of CM7 I think advice please...

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my epic from my lap to the wood floor about 2 foot fall (no physical damage); while sitting a on the couch. I was holding a small cup of milk (about 3-4 oz left) and somehow in reacting to dropping the phone I dropped the cup of milk or perhaps it was the reverse not sure as both got dropped so close together. Anyways my epic ended up with milk on it and partly in the small puddle of milk on the floor. I quickly pulled the battery out in case milk was anywhere it could have seeped inside. Fortunately it did not.

Once it had booted up everything was extremely sluggish and I got constant such and such has gone not responding force close. wait, or report. Wait worked so that I could patiently work with stuff but it persisted way longer than just boot up lag (20-30 minutes later). I shutdown and went into CWM to flash CM7 RC0 wimax again without wiping anything figuring I probably just corrupted a few files that the flash would replace. This made it better but still was having problems. Should I go ahead and odin back to stock and start fresh with CM7? And is this anything that I should report to the CM epic team?

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, How would that go? "Dear CM devs, You may want to modify your code to preclude problems when you drop your phone two feet into in a puddle of milk and then pull the battery.":p

Agree the hasty battery pull may have corrupted some stuff, but why go straight to Odin? I'd try a 3x wipe in CWM and reflash first.

Reactions: StoneRyno

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
When you put it that way it's kind of funny. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be safe to pull the battery and if it was then corruption would be a bug I guess. I seem to recall a tech from sprint or perhaps someone on the forum telling me quite some time ago something along the lines of hey don't worry about pulling the battery without powering down it's impossible for that to damage software. At the time I wasn't 100% convinced of that and even less convinced now that this has happened. None the same though that was in the back of my mind when I wrote the question.

If I'm going to 3x wipe I might as well go back to stock first and take care of a couple things while there. I heard the PRL has been updated which would mean mine is out of date and also I think I want to change to the EI22 modem. I had tried it originally back in nov when I first installed CM7. I thought the EC05 worked better but after almost 2 months on EC05 I'm thinking I was wrong and that the EI22 modem worked better. I'm also debating on starting clean on the SD card too. I made a backup of the whole card to my PC so that I can retrieve my photos and some misc apps folders with data such as my time card app and mileage monitoring app. I think a number of apps left junk behind as the size of the free space is significantly lower despite no significant change in the amount of stuff I put on it.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
It would seem there is possibly physical damage after all. The microphone doesn't appear to be working correctly even after returning to stock using odin. Tested this on calls and with voice recognition like the voice search feature. What I discovered with that feature is if I rub my finger over the microphone hole or tap very lightly around the sides near it the icon on the screen lights up like what is expected when you talk or the microphone other wise picks up sound. I'm not sure if this is something that can be DIY fixed or if this is a job for a sprint repair store.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do it yourself. Have Sprint repair or replace it. You got TEP?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do it yourself. Have Sprint repair or replace it. You got TEP?

I sure do. And I'm assuming that is something they can repair and is not something they have to replace my epic with a new one? I'm not down for paying $100 to do that since money is tight right now.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure your on stock when you go in. Hardware failure should be covered through TEP and the manufacturers warranty.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Will do that. I'm not certain if it's still under warranty. I can't remember exactly when I bought it but it's about a year I think.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup my main concerns is them trying to make me pay the deductible to replace it. I worked a long day today and wasn't able to make contact with the repair center. Hopefully I'll have time to do so tomorrow.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Turns out that it was indeed hardware failure. They checked and there was no liquid damage and whatnot and verified it wasn't caused by software as I had returned it to stock EC05 and let it OTA update and they asked if I had tried that. Because if I hadn't they would have done so in their testing.