What is easy method to get ICS on my Sprint Epic 4G?

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung stated officially the lack of resources prevents them from upgrading Galaxy S mobile devices to ICS.
Therefore, sans rooting these devices, no efficient method seems plausible.

Last edited:

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Your gonna be waiting like the rest of us for a stable release of cm9 (depending on how well the development of it goes). I don't mean to be offensive but it doesn't sound like you know much about modding your device. I would spend a few months doing some research while cm9 is in development.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

frankwhite8536

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
take some time to look around. Once you get some exact questions, the people here are usually great help.

Rooting IMO is a lot simpler and not at all intrusive as an when you hear about iphone jailbreak. There are also some good instructions on here. Once you root, you have a few more options and apps available to configure, but a custom ROM is the way to go. The sticky's have some good indexes and links to follow.

Or even try a new launcher if it's just something new you want. I've just recently discovered them along with themes.

Reactions: fred1955

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. If there was an EASY way to get ICS on here, it would have been done already. We only JUST got CM7 certified in the past month, after having devs cracking at it for as long as there was a CM7 release. It looks promising having an official CM7 (gb) to get CM9 (ics).

Patients is a virtue with a samsung device and official and unofficial updates :) As soon as we have something working, you'll know about it.

Reactions: fred1955

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Your gonna be waiting like the rest of us for a stable release of cm9 (depending on how well the development of it goes). I don't mean to be offensive but it doesn't sound like you know much about modding your device. I would spend a few months doing some research while cm9 is in development.

Excuse me? Who is this "Zeinzu" person? I don't know why you are trying to judge me. You don't know me, therefore DO NOT make any false assumptions about me. If I had the time to mod, or were not in a carrier contract, I would have modded my device long ago.

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me? Who is this "Zeinzu"? I don't know why you are trying to judge me. You don't know me, therefore DO NOT make any false assumptions about me. If I had the time, or were not in a contract, I would have modded my device long ago.

Where in his comment was he "judging you?" He's trying to make sure that you don't brick you're phone, since you are in the section of the Epic 4G forum related to Rooting, ROMS and Hacks.

Blowing up like this is WILL get people judging you, and therefore not help you.

Reactions: Zeinzu

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me? Who is this "Zeinzu"? I don't know why you are trying to judge me. You don't know me, therefore DO NOT make any false assumptions about me. If I had the time, or were not in a contract, I would have modded my device long ago.

1st: You modified your original post, which is what I replied to.

2nd: I'm not judging you. I was trying to be helpful. Thus the whole "not trying to sound offensive" part of my post. You fly off the handle pretty easily.

3rd: I'm a ROM developer from back in the days of the Samsung Moment, who also worked with Noobnl (one of the project leaders for the Epic's original root, cm7, and cm9) on some old projects with the Samsung Moment and the first stages of root and ROMS for the Epic. Who are you?

Good luck dude.

Sent from my SPH-D700 running Android 4.0.3

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
1st: You modified your original post, which is what I replied to.

2nd: I'm not judging you. I was trying to be helpful. Thus the whole "not trying to sound offensive" part of my post. You fly off the handle pretty easily.

3rd: I'm a ROM developer from back in the days of the Samsung Moment, who also worked with Noobnl (one of the project leaders for the Epic's original root, cm7, and cm9) on some old projects with the Samsung Moment and the first stages of root and ROMS for the Epic. Who are you?

Good luck dude.

Sent from my SPH-D700 running Android 4.0.3

I didnt know Zeinzu was a developer. I have been trying to get into ROM development as my skills have been increasing over the last couple of months. Is there anyway I could join any teams out there or at least get my feet wet. I might not be the greatest help as my skills are still relatively noobish, but I try.

Anyway back to the reason of this thread, just flash CM9 it is basically stable. Also I am on contract still with Sprint. I was hesitant to flash and root my phone, but I did it anyway. The individuals of this forum are quite friendly and very informative. Plus I find it hard to hard-brick a phone. Soft-brick is another story.

So if my phone hits the fan, not much i can do except pull out one of my indestructible Nokia phones.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for Alpha 6. It shouldn't be too long before it's released and it addresses the tearing in video playback as well as instances of the sd card not showing up. Losing things like ringtones till the card is re-scanned. After Alpha 6 the bug list will be relatively minor.

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for Alpha 6. It shouldn't be too long before it's released and it addresses the tearing in video playback as well as instances of the sd card not showing up. Losing things like ringtones till the card is re-scanned. After Alpha 6 the bug list will be relatively minor.

That is good news. I have to have a reliable daily driver but I also like trying out all the ROMs and it can get a little bit hairy trying to do both. I've been waiting for a version of CM that will be almost if not fully functional and reliable.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Alpha6 is actually Beta0 and is truly daily driver worthy. All major bugs are fixed, and they managed to free up a lot of ram from the kernel so the performance is silky smooth. Figured I'd let you know.

csmasn

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You can try CM9 beta 0. Use Youmail for VVM, because Sprint VVM is not working good(a least for me). You may notice the sound is too low but they are working on it for Beta1.

Sent from my Epic 4g with CM9

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I found I was missing calls for some reason. swapped to shadow kernel, no change in call loss. otherwise, no issues here!

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
just an FYI: while CM9a1 is stable, many cannot stream media via BT, HBO GO and other apps that have not been optimized for ICS will not work and the battery life is not great. I used it for several months and just went back to CM7a1. Snappier, more stable and better battery life.

kenrico

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Samsung stated officially the lack of resources prevents them from upgrading Galaxy S mobile devices to ICS.
Therefore, sans rooting these devices, no efficient method seems plausible.

Galaxy S devices like the Nexus S and the Stratosphere are or have ICS in the projected pipeline, they and the Epic all share equivalent cpu/gpu and screen specs with the exception of the 4g radio.

So SAMMYGATE forced Samsung to set a policy to eventually make and implement a commitment to update and implement newer android releases in 18 month period or at least 1 update release for carrier/consumer.

The disenfranchised phones are the TMobile Galaxy 4G - they were released with Gingerbread, but have not seen any indication if they get anything will be that Accessory pack or ICS looking but GB under the hood update, not the whole Ice Cream Samwich.Sammy set the policy, then said maybe ICS lite, then said No, then yes maybe again .

Still think they view updates as GIVING away the store, and especially like the Epic where TWO updates were GIVEN away- they quickly adopted a policy to show they did have a policy and limit it to basically one update.

Kenny

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Wait...Samsung is rolling out ICS for the SPH-D710. At least that's the word I got today. I dumped my HTC EVO4G for my Epic 4G touch last month based on the fact that this was one of the first phones listed to receive ICS. NexusS phones are almost completely OTA updated and Sprint said they are preparing the OTA update for the S2 next. Looks like Samsung was telling the truth last week when they confirmed that they were updating all Galaxy models released AFTER the original GalaxyS, sorry you'll need to root if you guys want ICS. So by the end of April the OTA upgrade should happen for us, and let's not forget GS3 is coming and Google set to begin releasing Jellybean by Q2 2013, so we'll all be doing this again soon...lol.
BTW, I'm new to the forums and wanna say a big thanks to all you forum OGs for your help in my decision to drop HTC even with the One series and the new 4G LTE Evolution for Samsung, BEST phone decision I made since leaving cryPhone for Android! I'm Michael from Texas! :beer:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze