EL30 OTA -- Updating After Rooting?

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there an EL30 ROM available yet that can be flashed without wiping out apps etc?

I *just did* get things back how I like them after a problem with the FroYo to GB update.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, no, not yet. If the Mostly Stock ROM that I'm currently running gets updated, it will probably be flashable without wiping. When I went from plain rooted stock to this ROM, I didn't wipe anything, and it kept app my apps, data, etc. as they were. I'd like to see it updated, but even after asking on XDA, I don't know if it will be. We'll see, I guess. I got the update notice today, so I'm hoping to see something in the near future -- or at least a way to disable the update notification from popping up periodically, since I can't actually apply it while rooted.

Edit: For whoever may be interested, xBTx has indicated that an EL30 version of the Mostly Stock ROM should be coming soon. Once it does, I should be covered -- I can just flash that over my current version of that ROM.

Last edited:

csmasn

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, no, not yet. If the Mostly Stock ROM that I'm currently running gets updated, it will probably be flashable without wiping. When I went from plain rooted stock to this ROM, I didn't wipe anything, and it kept app my apps, data, etc. as they were. I'd like to see it updated, but even after asking on XDA, I don't know if it will be. We'll see, I guess. I got the update notice today, so I'm hoping to see something in the near future -- or at least a way to disable the update notification from popping up periodically, since I can't actually apply it while rooted.

Just let it reboot to do the install. When its fail remove the battery. Good bye notification.

Sent from my Epic 4G with CleanGB-MTD 1.0.5

cyberprashant

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there an EL30 ROM available yet that can be flashed without wiping out apps etc?

I *just did* get things back how I like them after a problem with the FroYo to GB update.

I found this worked. I was already rooted on EI22 and had ACS Clockwork recovery already installed. Followed this thread here: [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock+Root+Deodexed - xda-developers and downloaded the pre-rooted EL30 update adn installed it using CWM recovery (install zip from sdcard). Worked like a charm. This only works if you were rooted and had CWM recovery installed previosuly

Let phone bootup and you'll see you are on EL30 and all your apps etc are still there. But modem firmware (baseband etc is still EI22). So then just installed this zip from CWM similar procedure as above and it worked EI22 to EL30 flashable for BML and MTD kexec kernels like CM7 - xda-developers. Now modem is EL30 and so is phone itself EL30.

Reactions: jasper3

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
@csmasn, I saw that posted elsewhere, too, and after seeing the update notification like 3 times in 1 hour, I decided to try it. Luckily, it seems to have worked.

@cyberprashant, I'm aware of that ROM and I considered using it to update to EL30. However, if I did that, I wouldn't get all the other little mods that the Mostly Stock ROM I'm currently running has. Sure, I could live without them, but I would like to have them. So since there are plans to update it, I think I'm just going to wait for that. I may still have to update the modem separately, but hopefully that won't be too hard.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
But modem firmware (baseband etc is still EI22). So then just installed this zip from CWM similar procedure as above and it worked EI22 to EL30 flashable for BML and MTD kexec kernels like CM7 - xda-developers. Now modem is EL30 and so is phone itself EL30.

My baseband still is ei22. I went to that link, but wasn't sure whether the link would work on my phone. I have to confess my ignorance. What does this mean: BML and MTD kexec kernels like CM7

I don't know what bml and mtd kexec kernels are. I rooted like in the sticky at the top here. What was that?

jasper3

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I found this worked. I was already rooted on EI22 and had ACS Clockwork recovery already installed. Followed this thread here: [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock+Root+Deodexed - xda-developers and downloaded the pre-rooted EL30 update adn installed it using CWM recovery (install zip from sdcard). Worked like a charm. This only works if you were rooted and had CWM recovery installed previosuly

Let phone bootup and you'll see you are on EL30 and all your apps etc are still there. But modem firmware (baseband etc is still EI22). So then just installed this zip from CWM similar procedure as above and it worked EI22 to EL30 flashable for BML and MTD kexec kernels like CM7 - xda-developers. Now modem is EL30 and so is phone itself EL30.

I have ACS Clockwork on EI22 rooted with some mods (applications deleted.) I couldn't use the OTA EL30 update from Sprint either. I followed your steps above and it worked for me. I also have a modified email program which I had to reinstall at the end, but otherwise it went with no problems. Thanks for writing up.