[ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

MDroidster

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks, very useful for my SPH-D700 coming from CM9 alpha4 with EH17 Modem and trying to Odin a EL30 modem only.
It stuck twice so I Odined Stock EL30 Tar and did a lot of work with QPST and checking the configuration with the Sprint Epic Dialer Codes.
After following the step by step procedure, exactly, until part #3 I flashed with the recently installed CWM 5 my CM9 alpha4 zip file and the special gaps-ics zip (they remained in the SD-card) and I was again in CM9 alpha4.

Many, many thanks again to all the heroes in the Epic 4g development community for this work!! :):):)

NovusGuitar

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Are these instructions meant to be done from a stock phone that isn't rooted? I followed the instruction to the letter and my phone just got stuck on the Samsung logo after the last reboot. **edit: I was able to restore my backup in CWM.** I had an older version of CWM (which I updated per the instructions) and a custom ROM. What I find interesting is the GB zip in the instructions is only ~500k when some custom ROMs I've used have been upward of 100MB. Is there a list of ROMs based on the GB version? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help me out with Odin. When I have the phone on it shows up under ID:COM. When I go into download mode it won't show up. I have tired everything. Reinstalled drivers you name it I have done it. Am I screwed?

shootron

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Step by Step Instructions

I went through the process of this post and also took the optional step of downloading the EL30 kernel. I don't understand why I did that because I was already rooted at that point and had super user permissions. Anyway, the phone now has keyboard skips again which is very frustrating. The update to EI22 had fixed the skips and now they are back. Any idea on how to fix this? Doe's it have anything to do with the optional kernel I flashed from this post?

Any help appreciated, I am somewhat new to all of this so bear with me...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I went through the process of this post and also took the optional step of downloading the EL30 kernel. I don't understand why I did that because I was already rooted at that point and had super user permissions. Anyway, the phone now has keyboard skips again which is very frustrating. The update to EI22 had fixed the skips and now they are back. Any idea on how to fix this? Doe's it have anything to do with the optional kernel I flashed from this post?

Any help appreciated, I am somewhat new to all of this so bear with me...
Yes the optional kernel is the culprit of this problem. The site you were taken to download the kernel explained it was a stockish kernel with no mods. So it wouldn't contain the keyboard fixes and other things.

That kernel was meant for those who just wanted a stock kernel on EL30 with root build into it.

Reactions: shootron

shootron

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Ok that is good to know. Now can you explain to me how to get rid of this kernel I installed? All I am looking for is to have the EL30 with root access.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to find and flash the kernel they used on EI22 to fix the keyboard fix and I'm sure they have an updated kernel out now for EL30 that is stockish with the KB fix included.

rokinroj

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
With a combination of Paul627g's posts, and qbking77's youtube video, I am up and running and rooted! Thanks everyone for taking the time to teach.
Now on to trying to figure out how to get rid of all of the Sprint apps that were previously unable to be uninstalled.

Reactions: Paul627g

rokinroj

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone help me out with Odin. When I have the phone on it shows up under ID:COM. When I go into download mode it won't show up. I have tired everything. Reinstalled drivers you name it I have done it. Am I screwed?

I had the same issue and for me it was a cable problem. The cable I was using seemed fine, it was charging the phone ok, and was even good enough for Windows to recognize that I had plugged "something" in though it couldn't identify the device. (that's what gave me my first clue), all the while Odin could not talk to the phone.
When I switched to the cable that actually came with the phone, as soon as I plugged it in, Windows recognized that I had plugged in a Samsung_Android_whatever which was different then before, and then I booted the phone into download mode and sure enough Odin picked it up.
Anyway it's a cheap and easy test to see if that resolves it for you.

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I got my Epic Rooted with this CWM 5.0.2.7. So how do I remove bloatware? The Sprint crap I want out still does not have an uninstall option.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I got my Epic Rooted with this CWM 5.0.2.7. So how do I remove bloatware? The Sprint crap I want out still does not have an uninstall option.

You will have to use ES File Explorer (free) or other root access application to go in to

/system/app

Then delete the application you don't want. I recommend making a Nandroid Backup before making any changes so you have a good working copy to restore to in the event of something going wrong.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Reactions: djraw

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul, I got ES File explorer app, but it won't let me delete any of the bloatware apks.

Go into settings inside ES File Explorer and scroll down the main list you will see root options. enable the mount file systems as write. Then you should be able to remove/delete the system/app/ apps.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Reactions: ksguy and djraw
Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm a little late to jump on the GB Wagon, but I'm ready to grow up and leave my Rooted Froyo(Thanx Paul6276) behind :'( . I got thru most of it(Thanx again PAUL6276) except I'm caught up on updating CWM Recovery. Keep getting Signature Failed errors even w/multiple different D/Ls of the file. I couldnt even put SU on as well. Is it possible to get CWMRomMgr and flash the update from there THEN add SU? or am i screwed? I just wont be happy till I can use the CRT mod.
Thanx in Advance

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
WOO-HOO!! Got it!! went against my own better judgement and just installed the new version of CWM Recovery instead of trying to update from 3e. I dont know what happened to the previous version, hope it just overwrote it. There wasn't a warning prompt like normal. Wow!! it does feel so much better when you can figure it out yourself.

GridIron21

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am getting ready to root my phone, as I downloaded all those files and I hit a snag. When I tried to download the su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip file, and the site says that "the page you requested is not available." Any idea what's up with that?

Edit: never mind I tried it again after little while and it worked now.

Last edited:

Casketman

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ive been trying to root my Epic all day. Still on EL30,I cant get Clockwork on because everytime to go to the download mode,my laptop says it fails to install the driver or that the USB devise has malfunctioned. Ive tried all ports,Ive tried 3 different cables. Ive downloaded drivers. Nothing changes.

This has been so much of a pain in the ass. No where near as simple as it was for me on my Pre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome