[SOLVED]Roll back Ice Cream Sandwich to an ext4-based ROM

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I was using quite a few different ROMs for a while, but I bricked my phone this morning (not sure what happened). CWM wouldn't come up and the phone simply couldn't boot.
I fixed it by running ODIN and going back to stock.

I then tried CM9, but my girlfriend's phone is having some serious graphic issues and my phone is acting a little slow in comparison to how it used to when I was running some other ROMS. I need to be running something a little less "bleeding edge".

I want to go back to ext4, but I constantly get update notifications from Sprint that won't go away. What ROMs are out there that are completely updated?

Tons and tons of the links out there are dead and apparently 1-click-root doesn't work on anything passed Gingerbread?

What should I do?

Stock sucks. I hate RFS and how slow my phone is again. I've got tons of Sprint bloatware on my phone now and I want it gone! lol

Last edited:

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Want to convert EL30 to ext4

Alright, attempting to install SyndicateROM1.2 is unfruitful after all these months. Not sure why. The install completes, but the first time I boot the phone (and I tried from scratch multiple times) it just hangs on the boot logo.

What did work however, is [ERA] Long way to go ROM

SO! Here's my whole successful process:

I used ODIN to return to stock
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

I allowed one OTA update to FroYo

Root phone:
[MOD][One Click Root]ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1[RFS & EXT4] - xda-developers

Download RFS2ext4 here:
[CWM 3.0.25+]Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs
(Do not convert to ext4 until you also have the ROM zip also on your SD card)

LegendaryROM zip:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1469816

No update notifications now

I hoped I helped someone :p

Last edited:

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [SOLVED]Convert Ice Cream Sandwich back to an ext4-based ROM

"CyanogenMOD installs on top of RFS"

And Quadrant scores! Well aren't you a cute little delusional user. :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

And like a flash... k0nane is here and gone!

Whats up k0! Glad to see you still making rounds every now and then.

Paul.

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

And like a flash... k0nane is here and gone!

Whats up k0! Glad to see you still making rounds every now and then.

Paul.

I'm more active on XDA, but DaKillaWilla tweeted this at me.

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

DaKillaWilla said:
WOW..... lol
DaKillaWilla tweeted this at me.

I had no idea the information in this thread was tweet-worthy.
I have clearly either entertained and/or offended someone. I apologize; I meant to do neither.

I deleted all the questionable content in this thread. I also wrote a long reply. Dumb, I know, but I deleted it; I was mad when I read your comments.

Look, I see you're a ROM developer, so I'll just say this instead: Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate your work.

I was misinformed. I am sorry.

I only began this thread because my girlfriend's and my phones were messed up. I needed to go back to something stable.
Most people find the idea of going back to ext4 ludicrous. Thus, there is little help out there for someone wanting to do it.
This thread was me asking for help. Since I got none, I came back and shared my successful process to help others.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I had no idea the information in this thread was tweet-worthy.
I have clearly either entertained and/or offended someone. I apologize; I meant to do neither.

I deleted all the questionable content in this thread. I also wrote a long reply. Dumb, I know, but I deleted it; I was mad when I read your comments.

Look, I see you're a ROM developer, so I'll just say this instead: Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate your work.

I was misinformed. I am sorry.

I only began this thread because my girlfriend's and my phones were messed up. I needed to go back to something stable.
Most people find the idea of going back to ext4 ludicrous. Thus, there is little help out there for someone wanting to do it.
This thread was me asking for help. Since I got none, I came back and shared my successful process to help others.

Your post is appreciated. I'm sure there are others out there that will benefit from this post, you would be surprised..

As for k0nane, he has always had a humorous side to his posts. Don't take it too seriously, he is a well respected developer in the Epic 4g and other devices communities. We have him to thank for CIQ (Carrier I Q ) removal long before Samsung and Sprint made it official.

Thanks again :)

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
EXT4 = Eventual corrupt data even with journaling enabled. Quadrant scores mean absolutely nothing. Yaffs2 is a file system that runs better and is more stable.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd also recommend YAFFS2 (it's an MTD filesystem, as opposed to BML...read more about it here ), but, having said that, I ran EXT4 for the first 18 months of having my phone, and didn't really run into any issues. So, yes, theoretically, you are more likely to corrupt data on EXT4, but if it's working for you and you're happy with it, then enjoy.

If you do want to experiment, check out CleanGB cause it's close to stock and runs great. The MTD version will autoconvert you during the install process.

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the explanations, guys. Thanks for the advice, too! :D
I'm trying CleanGB now; it seems pretty cool.

So far, no hiccups that came with my previous ROM.
I clocked ~57 FPS in Neocore. 1350 in (the now despised) Quadrant.
Performance seems smooth.
If I remain happy with this for a few days, I think I'll give this a go on the girlfriend's phone. Hers is always more picky, for some reason.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
CleanGB has an MTD version, in case you didn't know that. Same great rom, better file system, more internal space.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk