I can mod HTC devices like nothing, simple as ever. However, Samsung is a strange language. Download mode? Recovery mode? Wouldn't they be the same? ODIN? Eh, I'll read up and learn more in a bit.

Anyways, I found a root method with flashing a custom recovery through ODIN and flashing the SU zip file. But I can't figure out what version this phone is! There has been places talking about EL10 and FC09 or whatever. How can you figure out this so I don't flash a wrong recovery and brick this device? Also, I think the device has the latest update, so if you could point me to a good rooting guide, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central Forums
    05-13-2013 01:47 AM
    First, to clear the worries of which version it is... Go into your About Phone and let us know some of the numbers there.

Honestly the Epic 4g is a much tougher device than most people think when it comes to rooting. I had some great memories of my Epic 4g and rooting/custom ROMs.

Follow the guides we have in the Rooting and Hacking section, don't be afraid to stop and ask questions and you will be fine.

FWIW.. To root this device you will indeed be using Odin which is a separate application ran from your computer. You will need to enter Download mode on your device to make the connection between the two via USB cable. Short order you will be flashing a custom recovery & kernel to the device and from there your off and running. Samsung has always been a very simple device to get rooted and one of the few that allows you to root and in the process you don't have to wipe the device. So that said once rooted you can use apps like Titanium Backup or My Back Up Root to save your apps/data then you can turn around and flash a custom ROM and you can restore your important saved app/data back to the device

Good luck.
    05-13-2013 09:19 AM
    Well, got the phone.

Model Number: SPH-D700
    Firmware Version: 2.3.6
    Baseband Version: S700.0.5S.FC09
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.FC09
    Hardware Version: D700.0.5

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    05-13-2013 02:30 PM
    To root your device, the best method is on XDA forums site. Currently, I don't believe, this site does not have enough threads to have a good know how. I belong to 3 different forum sites to find info I need. They also have several ROMS to choose from.
    05-13-2013 10:19 PM
    I got that much down, what I'm asking for is the method that's compatible with the specs I've listed. Something about "EL10", "EL06", etc. I found some good ones, I just don't know how to tell if it is compatible with the device or not.

05-14-2013 05:14 AM
    Basically, what you are looking for is the FC09 ROMs. Most of the ROMs will change the BML to MTD. So if you don't like a particular ROM, you would have to flash stock first then root then flash new ROM. It is a process but it is the best process we have available.
    05-14-2013 06:54 AM
    I'm asking how to tell what version I am, because of the "EL10", "EL13" stuff. Then, from there, I can root this phone easily.

05-15-2013 03:29 PM
    I'm asking how to tell what version I am, because of the "EL10", "EL13" stuff. Then, from there, I can root this phone easily.

Your version is FC09. The EL10, EL13, including FC09 are different modem versions.
    05-15-2013 06:50 PM
    Now to look for a root method for FC09. Thank you.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 09:30 PM
    05-16-2013 12:13 PM
    That made my search so much easier. Thank you.

05-19-2013 04:05 AM
    Not a problem. Here to help in any way I can. Just be careful with the bml and mtd versions. If the current ROM flashes mtd then you have to Odin back to stock before you flash again.
    05-19-2013 12:20 PM
    Not a problem. Here to help in any way I can. Just be careful with the bml and mtd versions. If the current ROM flashes mtd then you have to Odin back to stock before you flash again.
    Wait, what? I saw the MTD thing and more room, but that means I have to go back to stock before I flash anything else? Why?

05-19-2013 03:22 PM
    Wait, what? I saw the MTD thing and more room, but that means I have to go back to stock before I flash anything else? Why?

Dude!!! What's up? FC09 is your ROM version as well. So, right now, it looks like you are running the stock ROM and modem, which seems to be the most up to date. Samsung-updates is where you can go to download stock files. QBKing77 on YouTube does really well with rooting/flashing advice. . See if that helps.
    OperationA7X likes this.
    05-19-2013 08:43 PM

Because it changes the code somehow. If you don't flash back to stock (from mtd back to bml) it will brick. It happened to me once all ready.
    05-20-2013 11:11 AM
    I believe you, because I am a Samsung noob. I just didn't know why I had to.

05-20-2013 05:02 PM
    That's Samsung for you. Before my first android, I came from palm. Easiest and most direct device I ever owned by way of customizing. You could not brick it, ever. The os was a webOS. So at anytime it started messing up, you can download the os again and start fresh. No brick device.
    05-20-2013 10:09 PM
    Well, I'm glad the Samsung community is as helpful as they are, I'm learning a lot!

niteNarmor likes this.
    05-21-2013 07:14 AM