Touchstone mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I cringe at thinking about this. I just went out and bought the dock. Charges through the PC (touchstone doesn't). I'm going to make another attempt at connecting it with the stock Samsung cable (was using an LG Dare cable) and see if I can mount the sd card and whatnot through it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys don't forget that the person who did this hack to the EVO warns you that the magnets that hold the phone to the stone screwed up the compass in the EVO.

I can only imagine you'd get the same results with the EPIC. This wouldn't push me away but just wanted to mention it before someone dives in head first.

Cheers!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Why not just get the dock as it has a cool app that works with it. I used it last night and I have to say Im quite happy.

Touch stones heat the phone up too much IMHO and the magnet screwing up the compass is just another reason not to use it. Even with my pre I had no interest. Sorry to come here and be the naysayer, but I felt it was necessary. :(

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Why not just get the dock as it has a cool app that works with it. I used it last night and I have to say Im quite happy.

Touch stones heat the phone up too much IMHO and the magnet screwing up the compass is just another reason not to use it. Even with my pre I had no interest. Sorry to come here and be the naysayer, but I felt it was necessary. :(

can you post some pics of your phone in the dock?

I like to see how it looks and the app your talking about

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Here you go... My desk is dark and cluttered :/

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

FYI, almost 3pm here and I have 82%... I think I'm going to love this phone. I will bring the charger for my overnight shifts coming up. I can't play games, but I can load it with movies!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Here you go... My desk is dark and cluttered :/

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

FYI, almost 3pm here and I have 82%... I think I'm going to love this phone. I will bring the charger for my overnight shifts coming up. I can't play games, but I can load it with movies!

I too agree the battery life is pretty nice! I love the dock app too exactly what I wanted to have for this phone. I used to think the home button not taking you back to the app as a bad thing but its actually nice for when I dock and connect to a keyboard. Definitely worth the $40ish.

edit: the only downside was the damn sticky goo I had to remove when unpacking the dock! :p

ZoogieZork

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
the only downside was the damn sticky goo I had to remove when unpacking the dock! :p

Ugh, that stuff really wanted to hang on to the dock. There's a tiny bit of residue left on it in a couple places which hopefully won't require solvent to completely remove.

/ick

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Where did you guys purchase the dock? I've been searching all over the internet to no avail.

Sprint store. Got 20% off with the 2 accessories I bought (the dock and the belt clip). It won't work in the dock with a case, so I passed on that. They also have a battery charger with power cord and spare battery... Its like they knew! I'll get that later if I feel the need. So far so good on my first official charge. Almost 6pm and still at >60%. Couple phone calls, and e-mailing. No browser use or gaming today.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Where did you guys purchase the dock? I've been searching all over the internet to no avail.

Like andrew I got mine at sprint.

Sprint store. Got 20% off with the 2 accessories I bought (the dock and the belt clip). It won't work in the dock with a case, so I passed on that. They also have a battery charger with power cord and spare battery... Its like they knew! I'll get that later if I feel the need. So far so good on my first official charge. Almost 6pm and still at >60%. Couple phone calls, and e-mailing. No browser use or gaming today.

Wow I had mine almost die just now but itz been a hard and long day and I put the phone through its paces.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Like andrew I got mine at sprint.

Wow I had mine almost die just now but itz been a hard and long day and I put the phone through its paces.

I murdered my phone. I literally used it non-stop for a while. Games run great, benchmark results are great, camera is great, what else is there to say? The only downside I can think of is that there are no custom ROMs yet, but hopefully they'll be up soon.

d94

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
so anyone have any input on the palm touchstone charging solution? ahha..imma ill be happy do test it if someone can direct me where to solder the two contact points for the +/- ..

failmatic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The coil itself is not a magnet but the touchstone is. but who put the phone on the touchstone and use compass concurrently. im no physicist so someone please tell me if the coil affects the compass when its not on the touchstone. Still waiting on such hack.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The coil itself is not a magnet but the touchstone is. but who put the phone on the touchstone and use compass concurrently. im no physicist so someone please tell me if the coil affects the compass when its not on the touchstone. Still waiting on such hack.

It is a magnet (although a weak one). It messed up the compass on the Evo.

Edit: If not a magnet... then Magnetized. Just like sticking a needle to a magnet for a minute then floating it on a cork to use a compass that points north... it has magnet capabilities and messes with the compass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.