Wireless Tethering for Root Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratm22

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I finally decided to root my Epic so I could do some minor changes but mostly I wanted to be able to use the tethering app. I was able to root and download the wifi app, but I can't seem to get it going on my laptop :(. Anyone have any suggestions? I have also tried to tether with ipod with no luck. I've tried different versions of the app as I read that suggestion in the forums and my drivers are updated. My laptop runs windows 7 if that helps at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: HeisRisen

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you downloaded Wireless Tether from the Market. If so, that version does not work on the Epic. Use this version instead.

However, Wireless Tether does not support infrastructure mode, meaning you can't Tether your iPod to your Epic, only desktop/laptop computers. If you want to be able to tether your iPod to your Epic as well, you need the MobileAP from i9000. Good luck!

Last edited:

ratm22

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I've tried a few different versions Pre8, pre9, pre7, and nothing....I seemingly get everthing setup fine but when I try to tether to my laptop, it simply doesn't connect.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you plan on flashing a custom rom? If not you should try the mobileap from the i9000.

Sent by a little green robot

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue too. Couldn't get it to work at all. From what I recall, though, I believe it was because I got the app from the market.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
download it from xda-developers or some other forum.

mine wasnt working either until i downloaded wireless tether 2.0.5 pre11

but more importantly, are you 100% sure your rooted?
did it ask for super user permissions when you tried to tether the first time?? if not your not rooted and thats why its not working

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
well anybody can download any of those apps, including superuser. all from the market.

whats more important is whether or not it asks for superuser permissions

ratm22

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well anybody can download any of those apps, including superuser. all from the market.

whats more important is whether or not it asks for superuser permissions

Yes, I have superuser permission. I have moved bloatware, not sure I could do that if I wasn't rooted.

azack

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
pre11 works except i can get it to turn off??
pre9 works better for our epics you can turn it off lol

Last edited:

Prince_Basil

May 1, 2010
princebasil.net
I wanted to know if I could add a ROM when I have this on. I used to have the Wisdom ROM but when I flashed this, it MobileAP didn't want to work. So I went back to just a stock Epic that was rooted and it worked. Any suggestions? Would it be okay to flash the rom or will it erase the wireless tether?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If Wireless Tether gets erased after flashing you can always reinstall it. And yes, MobileAP from I9000 only seems to work with a stock ROM, whereas Wireless Tether works with virtually every ROM.

Prince_Basil

May 1, 2010
princebasil.net
I tried Wireless Tether with the Wisdom ROM & it didn't want to to work for me. MobileAP worked great for me. Butler once I flashed the Wisdom ROM it took it off. So... I'm not sure. I'll try flashing MobileAP one more time but last time it just kept force closing. :-/

EDIT:
Just flashed the mobileap rom on top of Wisdom ROM and it always force closes.

snap20101023_102439.png

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried Wireless Tether with the Wisdom ROM & it didn't want to to work for me. MobileAP worked great for me. Butler once I flashed the Wisdom ROM it took it off. So... I'm not sure. I'll try flashing MobileAP one more time but last time it just kept force closing. :-/

EDIT:

snap20101023_102439.png

did you download it from the market?

again that one does not work on the epic.

look through this thread or on xda for wireless tether pre-11 or pre-9

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

EDIT:

As a general rule the I9000 MobileAP only works on a stock ROM. Anything deodexed seems to cause force closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.