Hi all,

I just got my new epic and I have done some research but I'm still confused on some things. I would appreciate any help I can get.

I would like to root my phone for a few reasons. I want to remove sprint bloatware. I want to be able to tether wired/wireless so I can get rid of my sprint data card for my laptop. If I can get a snappier response by overclocking that would be good. Longer battery life would be great. These are the main reasons I want to root. Which rom do you suggest I get?

Am I getting this right when I say... to root is a process, then I flash/install a rom which is in essence a certain developers presets for the epic? What is the kernal? I have the latest ota update and I have only added pandora to the phone. What about backup and recovery?

I know thats alot and ima keep reading till I get this done but help would be great. Thanks.
    10-20-2010 06:07 PM
    Might want to start in the Epic forums.
    10-20-2010 06:09 PM
    I just noticed that The question now is how can I move the thread over?
    10-20-2010 06:13 PM
    A mod will have to move it over. You can try PMing one, but i think a mod will see this soon enough.

Lmao. DOH.
    10-20-2010 06:17 PM
    Step 1: Root
    Step 2: Install Clockwork recovery (not great, but its what we have)
    Step 3: Backup current system
    Step 4: Wipe
    Step 5: Flash ROM (it has to be on the SD card, in .zip format and not in any folders... so no creating a folder like Epic_Roms and placing a bunch in there to try, it must be free-standing)
    Step 6: Partially restore all your data (not a full restore, that would wipe your ROM)
    jettmartinez likes this.
    10-21-2010 01:10 AM
    Ok, so I have rooted my epic using the Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 1.13 by Drockstar and noobnl, on a Mac I might add.

I have clockwork recovery installed and now I just need to figure out what ROM to flash.

What do you mean by wipe and then to partially restore all data?
    10-21-2010 04:04 AM
    Ok, so I have rooted my epic using the Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 1.13 by Drockstar and noobnl, on a Mac I might add.

I have clockwork recovery installed and now I just need to figure out what ROM to flash.

What do you mean by wipe and then to partially restore all data?
    wipe means erase all of the data that has been added to the phone since you bought it. this would include apps downloaded, pictures, contacts, texts, etc. it's a good idea to do this before installing a new ROM as it allows the ROM to be installed on a clean canvas. then you do a partial restore to put all the apps, contacts, texts, etc. back on without compromising the ROM.

i'm no expert and have only gone as far as you (rooted and installed wireless tether, no ROMS yet) but i think what i wrote is accurate.
    10-21-2010 10:24 AM
    If I have clockwork recovery and have made a backup before wiping data/cache/davlik can i then restore my contacts. Contacts is the only thing i need. Anybody?
    10-21-2010 05:47 PM
    If I have clockwork recovery and have made a backup before wiping data/cache/davlik can i then restore my contacts. Contacts is the only thing i need. Anybody?
    When you sync your phone with your gmail account your contacts should propagate automatically.
    10-21-2010 08:50 PM
    keep in mind your contacts will only come back when you sync with google if you save it to your google account.

ie: when you create a contact it asks "would you like to save to: phone ; or google. click google to add it to your google account. you can then use google voice to txt them on your computer etc.

if its not saved to google, under contacts, you can hit the menu button and find "export" export the contacts to you sd card. after you wipe your phone you can then "import" them from your sd card
    10-22-2010 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD