Need Help with Rooting - Can't do it

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've been trying for the last month to root my device and I can't do it. I thought I was successful as I got the "Superuser" icon, but when I tried to install Titanium, it wouldn't let me do it because it said I wasn't rooted.

I'm going to go through the steps I've been doing. If I am doing something wrong or missing a step, please let me know. This is really frustrating for me.

My steps:

1. Downloaded Android SDK and installed it to my C drive.
2. Downloaded the Samsung Galaxy S driver (I have two 64 bit computers and downloaded them into both).
3. Installed the Samsung driver in the C drive (it took a long time - not sure if this is normal).
4. "Mounted" my Epic to my computer. I had it in USB debugging mode and plugged it in. It said that the drivers were installing and eventually all "4 parts" installed.
5. Downloaded the "One Click Root" zip file. Unzipped it into my C drive.
6. Clicked on the "run.bat" file and waited.

#6 is where I seem to be stuck. Sometimes it is stuck (often for more than 20 minutes) where it says:

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login"

And other times it goes to that adb connection above and then says "error in reading the device" and then I have to reset.

I have no idea what the hell is going on and what I am doing wrong. What could be the issue from what I explained? Do I have to uninstall and the reinstall the Samsung driver? If someone could give a step-by-step procedure of EVERYTHING needed and every exact step, I'd totally appreciate it. I looked at the xda forums and nobody really mentions anything about downloading Android SDK. I got it from some Youtube video.

Thanks in advance.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've been trying for the last month to root my device and I can't do it. I thought I was successful as I got the "Superuser" icon, but when I tried to install Titanium, it wouldn't let me do it because it said I wasn't rooted.

I'm going to go through the steps I've been doing. If I am doing something wrong or missing a step, please let me know. This is really frustrating for me.

My steps:

2. Downloaded the Samsung Galaxy S driver (I have two 64 bit computers and downloaded them into both).
3. Installed the Samsung driver in the C drive (it took a long time - not sure if this is normal).
4. "Mounted" my Epic to my computer. I had it in USB debugging mode and plugged it in. It said that the drivers were installing and eventually all "4 parts" installed.

#6 is where I seem to be stuck. Sometimes it is stuck (often for more than 20 minutes) where it says:

And other times it goes to that adb connection above and then says "error in reading the device" and then I have to reset.

I have no idea what the hell is going on and what I am doing wrong. What could be the issue from what I explained? Do I have to uninstall and the reinstall the Samsung driver? If someone could give a step-by-step procedure of EVERYTHING needed and every exact step, I'd totally appreciate it. I looked at the xda forums and nobody really mentions anything about downloading Android SDK. I got it from some Youtube video.

Thanks in advance.

Don't mount the sd card. That's not necessary I don't think. But if it gets you to that "restart adb" thing then do it cuz that's good.
Save the one click zip file in the tools section of your android sdk folder.

When you get to restart adb. Open up your task manager and end the process tha says "adb". Now go into your one click root folder and click the "adb" file to start it up again.
If there's no adb in your one click folder click the one in the "android sdk">tools folder.

When it says restart adb its telling u to restart it on the compyter. This should work

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Dude I told you the problem in ur thread a month ago. Why don't you listen to me. Instead u reply to the other guy that gave u the wrong answer.

DO WHAT I POSTED AND LET ME KNOW RESULTS B/C I'M 99.9% SURE THAT IS THE FIX

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

persianpimp

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site

My steps:

Thanks in advance.

Hey man just couple things.

If you want to root and put a new rom + kernel on your phone. I suggest you follow this link http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/34603-clockworkmod-recovery-instructions.html because it does everything at once. Meaning that it will root your phone and get you clockwork mod as well.

Then follow these instructions below to get a rom on ur phone

This is to get baked kernel and wisdom rom on your phone

1) First you need to Unzip the baked snack zip,

2) Now go the folder and copy the zImage from the Kernel_update folder and move it to the root of your sd card.

3) You need to move the rom you want (*zipped* in the root of your phone - Meaning when you open ur sd card page, It's the first thing you see) - MAKE SURE IT HAS KERNEL UPDATE FOLDER, if that rom doesnt have a kernel (zImage) already that you can replace, then these are the WRONG INSTRUCTIONS.

4) Install Astro on your phone to manage files

5) Using Astro on your phone, delete zImage from the orignial rom(the one that is zipped) that you want.

6) Copy and replace the zImage from the baked snack kernel to the rom you like, the one that you should have in your root from step. and voila your done.
Edit/Delete Message

persianpimp

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Also never mount ur sd drive unless you want to move some files. For the purpose of rooting or anything else, just plug and let your phone be. As long as you got usb debugging on

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
hey persian - you dont need to unzip the zip file of the rom that HAS THE KERNEL YOU WANT. thats what Rag was saying earlier. like you said use astro to access the contents of the zip without damaging the file.
all you have to do is go into bakedsnack1.3.zip>kernel_update>and select zimage and copy is.

then go into wisdom 1.1 zip and delete the zimage in the kernel update folder and paste