Rooting for Eclair and leaked Froyo DK28

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Also I found instructions on here on how to get dab shell to work on your epic. The directions are pretty much the same on dl sdk and unzip the file. Now the other instructions said to extract it but the instructions on page one of this sticky doesn't say anything about extracting. Do you have to extract it? Make a folder on the root of your 'c' drive named android (mine is c:\androidSDK and is the path Ill use in this guide). Extract the contents of the zip file then navigate through the extracted file 1 level until you see the following files: add-ons, platforms, tools, SDK readme, and SDK setup. Copy all those files into the c:\androidsdk folder. Is this the same directions as one page 1 of this sticky? Never mind unzip and extract are the same thing.

Last edited:

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys sorry about the noob question i did search but could not find much on the question i have I know everything about WebOS but this is a lot harder to do things with then WebOS Ok here is my Questions...

1st: I rooted my phone Installed a couple root only apps and what not I have no plan to install a custom rom But i need to know When 2.2 comes out for the epic will i have to re-root my phone will it update and still be rooted? or will i have to run the z4root again?

2nd: I want to remove some of them crap sprint apps like NFL and NASCAR BS if i do this will i still be able to update or do i need to leave them there so that the update wont fail? I read some place that if i remove any stock apps it will not update... Also when the update comes out will i have to un-root it before installing the update? Will it be an Over the air update or will i have to down load it and do it by putting my phone in recovery mode sorry if some the questions are off topic and thank you in advanced for any advice and answers to my questions... I do like the Epic but it was a lot less work to mod my pre :p

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
1) you will have to run z4root again

2) removing stock apps will prevent OTA updates, but our "hackers" always give us a non-OTA workaround so we are still able to update

Reactions: gitit20

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
1) you will have to run z4root again

2) removing stock apps will prevent OTA updates, but our "hackers" always give us a non-OTA workaround so we are still able to update

Aww ok thanks a lot for that info :) One more question how can i keep them apps from starting up when the phone starts up IE disable the apps i dont want or will never use...

Thanks Royce

techiechick

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am listing two different rooting procedures here. The first does is simpler and does not require a computer, however the second also installs ClockworkMod Recovery for you which is needed if you plan on flashing ROMs/kernels/themes. If you use the first method and need Clockwork, you will have to install it separately. Both procedures work with 2.1 Eclair and 2.2 Froyo.

Procedure 1:
This is the simplest method and should be tried first.

1. Download z4root from this link or from the Market.
2. Run the app on your phone and follow its instructions to gain root access.

If the app is not working, you may need to reboot or battery pull and try again.
Some users have had better luck by switching to the "Home" launcher and removing the SD card, then running z4root.
If after many attempts and trying the tips above you still cannot gain root access, try the procedure below.

Thanks to brandonc for posting about z4root

Procedure 2:
Do not expect this to work the first, second or even third time you try it. It is not uncommon for this procedure to fail multiple times before working. There are many variables involved and you may need to have a lot of patience while you go through the trial and error process of getting this to work. If at first you don't succeed...

1. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

2. Download Android SDK, unzip it and place the "android-sdk-windows" folder and its contents in the root of your computer hard drive (so its location is C:\android-sdk-windows).

3. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB. Note: the type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break your ability to successfully root. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during step 4, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

4. Extract One click root v2.4.0 w/Clockwork and run the file "run.bat". The Windows command prompt will come up and the process will start.

If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder you extracted from the "one.click.root.exploitv2.3.0.zip" and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb.

If the command prompt says "device not connected", disconnect the phone and reboot it, turn debugging mode back on, reconnect the phone via USB, and rerun the "run.bat" file again. If you're still getting "device not connected", try repeating these steps one at a time or in a different order, for example just kill adb and rerun "run.bat" or only reboot the phone and then rerun "run.bat".

After Rooting
An easy way to confirm that the rooting process was successful is to download a free app called Titanium Backup from the Market - upon startup the app will tell you if you have root access. If a "Superuser" pop-up window appears when you start Titanium Backup, push "Allow".

What is Superuser? it is an app that was installed when you rooted. Anytime there is a request to modify a low-level file or folder on your phone, Superuser will let you know and give you the chance to confirm or deny it access. This is a safety measure. If you happen to download a malicious app, Superuser will stop it from modifying low-level data and notify you. If an app you trust is requesting root access, just check the "Always Allow" box and it won't ask you again.

Your phone is rooted, now what? If you plan on flashing a custom ROM and/or kernel and you used Procedure 1, then it's time to install ClockworkMod Recovery. If you used Procedure 2, then just make a backup of your phone using Clockwork and you're ready to start flashing!

Ok.. noob questions... (I'm sorry!) Since I tried Procedure 1 multiple times and it never did work, I went on to Procedure 2. Which worked! Yeah!

So, am I rooted permanently? And, do I need to leave Z4Root on my phone or should I uninstall it?

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am listing two different rooting procedures here. The first does is simpler and does not require a computer, however the second also installs ClockworkMod Recovery for you which is needed if you plan on flashing ROMs/kernels/themes. If you use the first method and need Clockwork, you will have to install it separately. Both procedures work with 2.1 Eclair and 2.2 Froyo.

Procedure 1:
This is the simplest method and should be tried first.

1. Download z4root from this link or from the Market.
2. Run the app on your phone and follow its instructions to gain root access.

If the app is not working, you may need to reboot or battery pull and try again.

One
Some users have had better luck by switching to the "Home" launcher and removing the SD card, then running z4root.
If after many attempts and trying the tips above you still cannot gain root access, try the procedure below.

Thanks to brandonc for posting about z4root

Procedure 2:
Do not expect this to work the first, second or even third time you try it. It is not uncommon for this procedure to fail multiple times before working. There are many variables involved and you may need to have a lot of patience while you go through the trial and error process of getting this to work. If at first you don't succeed...

1. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

2. Download Android SDK, unzip it and place the "android-sdk-windows" folder and its contents in the root of your computer hard drive (so its location is C:\android-sdk-windows).

3. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5247348177_81f69fe529.jpg

Credit for picture goes to AhmgskMod

Note: the type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break your ability to successfully root. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during step 4, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

4. Download and extract one-click root w/Clockwork and run the file "run.bat" (note: this new version will not block the installation of Froyo through stock recovery). The Windows command prompt will come up and the process will start.

If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder you extracted from the "one.click.root.exploitv2.3.0.zip" and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb.

If the command prompt says "device not connected", disconnect the phone and reboot it, turn debugging mode back on, reconnect the phone via USB, and rerun the "run.bat" file again. If you're still getting "device not connected", try repeating these steps one at a time or in a different order, for example just kill adb and rerun "run.bat" or only reboot the phone and then rerun "run.bat".

After Rooting
An easy way to confirm that the rooting process was successful is to download a free app called Titanium Backup from the Market - upon startup the app will tell you if you have root access. If a "Superuser" pop-up window appears when you start Titanium Backup, push "Allow".

What is Superuser? it is an app that was installed when you rooted. Anytime there is a request to modify a low-level file or folder on your phone, Superuser will let you know and give you the chance to confirm or deny it access. This is a safety measure. If you happen to download a malicious app, Superuser will stop it from modifying low-level data and notify you. If an app you trust is requesting root access, just check the "Always Allow" box and it won't ask you again.

Your phone is rooted, now what? If you plan on flashing a custom ROM and/or kernel and you used Procedure 1, then it's time to install ClockworkMod Recovery (this method of installing Clockwork has only been tested on 2.1 Eclair). If you used Procedure 2, then just make a backup of your phone using Clockwork and you're ready to start flashing!

OK I d/l the link (.apk file) from procedure 1 directly onto my phone, and get an error "No application can be found to open this file." I couln't find z4root in the Market.

Am I doing something worng, or should I move on to Procedure 2?

I do have apk Installer & installed an apk file yesterday flawlessly. I'm on DK28.

**OMG!!** I just did Procedure 2....very hesitant because it had more than 2 steps.... but my Epic & I survived. I double-checked via Titanium Backup and was prompted to do a back up.

I am so syked!!! I am not ROOTED and am running 2.2!!

Two questions:
WTH is ClockworkRecoveryMod? and do I need it since I used Procedure 2?
Does anyone recommend that I upgrade the Titanium or is the Free version good enough?

Thanks for all of your help Android Family!!!

U Guys ROCK!!!

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
OK I d/l the link (.apk file) from procedure 1 directly onto my phone, and get an error "No application can be found to open this file." I couln't find z4root in the Market.

Am I doing something worng, or should I move on to Procedure 2?

I do have apk Installer & installed an apk file yesterday flawlessly. I'm on DK28.

Perhaps it was a bad download. Try downloading it again. If you still can't get z4root to install try Procedure 2.

hey guys I did the 2.2.1 updated.zip on my epic now everytime i try using the z4root it vibrates and force closes and wont work anymore dose anyone know why?

Not sure. You can either use the guide in post #1 to troubleshoot z4root or you can just use Procedure 2.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I do have a noob question here.

Say I go ahead and root, and Sprint decides to start sending out OTA update and you go and roll back to 2.1 stock Eclair, will you still get the OTA update then or is it a "one time sending OTA notification" and if you miss it your out of luck type deal? Or will you be able to manually grab the update from your APPS>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>SYSTEM UPDATES ?

4ekbrandon

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So, I recently did the Z4Root method(mostly because I'm lazy), and it worked fine... however, I deleted the Nascar and Asphault 5 apps from my phone, and ever since then I've been getting problems. Mostly, 4G no longer works[it connects to an "unknown" network], I can't update to android 2.2[even by sideloading it, it gives me an error saying asphault 5 is missing rofl], and occasionally it will give me a message on my phone saying:
(Galaxy S) - Installing drivers, please wait.

Sooo I tried to restore to factory, obviously that didn't work because I completely removed the applications- any tips for solving this problem? And in the future, I will rename apps instead of completely deleting them...

4ekbrandon

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Flash this - it will give you a pre-rooted version of Froyo and should fix any problems you've had from uninstalling apps.
Thanks, trying that now =)

Edit:
So I did that and my 4G works, 2.2 is on there... but now my phone won't auto rotate =\ Going to try the fix in that other thread for the auto landscape

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I updated the 1st post about z4root.

Is it possible to install the .apk from xda without root?

What app are you talking about, z4root? It's z4root that gives you root access, so you don't need to be rooted to use it.

I remember you posted about wanting to convert to EXT4 - if you still plan on doing this, you must use Procedure 2 in the 1st post.

Reactions: dtm_stretch

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ragnarox, yeah i was just reading through everything to make sure I understand what I need to do before I get started. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow when I have a full day to mess around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781