Screen orientation/tilt problems

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
So I've loaded around 3 Froyo ROMS and the camera bugs were too much for me to keep them as daily ROMS. So I loaded the .tar and .pit files for stock 2.1 and now my phone won't go into landscape in the browser unless I slide the keyboard open. When I close the keyboard, the phone will not go back to portrait mode.

The only way I can get this to work is if I de-select auto screen orientation. Even when I do this, the browser does not rotate to landscape without the keyboard being open (doesn't matter if automatic orientation is selected or not....it doesn't rotate).

lpsteve72

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So I've loaded around 3 Froyo ROMS and the camera bugs were too much for me to keep them as daily ROMS. So I loaded the .tar and .pit files for stock 2.1 and now my phone won't go into landscape in the browser unless I slide the keyboard open. When I close the keyboard, the phone will not go back to portrait mode.

The only way I can get this to work is if I de-select auto screen orientation. Even when I do this, the browser does not rotate to landscape without the keyboard being open (doesn't matter if automatic orientation is selected or not....it doesn't rotate).

Try downloading Android terminal from market(if you are still rooted).

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)
/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha (hit enter)

Then follow the instructions on screen and reboot. See if that helps.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

Thank you so much.....this worked. The instructions are confusing, however, but luckily I remembered that like all calibration utilities require you to sit the phone on the table lol.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
ive actually not run into any problems running froyo.

you may have done something wrong.
even the camera works fine. i just took a couple pictures to make sure again. music is kinda laggy on last fm, but seems fine from sd - although ive only listened to a couple songs on sd.

the only things i find wrong, or ui things that i think they couldve made better.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm...everytime I've tried to use the camera I had a problem where if I left chose gallery or changed any settings in the camera and tried to take another picture it wouldn't take another picture and would just focus but not take the snapshot.

I've read numerous cases of others having these problems as well. It sucks because I miss having flash so bad and being able to view my class lectures without the need of my laptop.

If it makes any difference....I've been using the latest builds that use Odin and .tar and .pit files for easy rooting and ROM uploading, so I don't know how I could have done anything wrong. So far, I've used Quantum's newest build, the stock DK17 ROM, and Viper's newest ROM, all of them having the same camera issue :-(

If it weren't for that bug id still be using froyo, unless there is a way to get FULL FLASH working on stock 2.1..........

Last edited:

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can do anything about flash.
But I'm gonna test out the camera some more and get back to you.

Also idk if your in a 4g area, but did you have problems using 4g with quantums latest rom?
I for some reason can't even open a website or speed test

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Marsh511

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How can I get my accelerometer back if I'm NOT rooted? Just flashed to DK28, then Odin'd back to DK18; landscape/portrait switch no longer works. Tried that Android Terminal, but apparently doesn't work for a non-rooted phone? (can't find the path after typing 'su')

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
How can I get my accelerometer back if I'm NOT rooted? Just flashed to DK28, then Odin'd back to DK18; landscape/portrait switch no longer works. Tried that Android Terminal, but apparently doesn't work for a non-rooted phone? (can't find the path after typing 'su')

Try z4root. It's a 1 click simple root tool and then the same to unroot. It might allow you to do what you need.

Reactions: maxertx

Marsh511

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Try z4root. It's a 1 click simple root tool and then the same to unroot. It might allow you to do what you need.

Thanks for the suggestion, but a "might" isn't good enough, especially since I've never rooted any phone and the Epic 4g is my wife's...and she's already pretty upset I started messing around with her "perfectly good" phone - except her email was stopping synching every other day.

rolivetti

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
It works.... I'm going though same BS you are with my girlfriend. In my case mine was the phone that wouldn't rotate after going back to the stock rom.

I tried the fix he suggested with the z4root and then downloaded the terminal from the market. typed in the commands and rebooted my phone and it works. Hopefully nothing else breaks as I'm sick of tinkering with the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Accelerometer troubles after roll back from dk28

After updating to Froyo (prior to finding out it wasn't such a good idea) I calibrated the accelerometer. I started having significant problems with the phone last night and spent some time figuring out how to roll back to 2.1. Since then, the screen doesn't seem to be responding to the tilt and my compass will not calibrate. GPS took quite awhile to find a lock but eventually got it.

I am torn between finding a different ROM such as Truly Epic (since I took the plunge and rooted during this whole frustrating process) or just waiting for an OTA. Either way, it would be nice to have a (semi-)working phone again...

Any direction someone can give me would be appreciated!

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

So I've tried running this several times. Keeps giving me a failure. I've tried doing the re-root through z4root, rebooting, and still nothing.

The failures I get are:

msmachdep_Init failed
calibration utilities failed
Su: not found
access: Permission denied

Hence why I tried re-rooting and re-booting.

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It appears that I have root access. Super user has android terminal, Titanium backup, etc., as allowed. When I run the command in terminal, it keeps showing Su not found, but when I go to the gear and hit the su with the magnifying glass, a pop-up says "Found SU file Located in /system/bin/" which is what I'm assuming it should say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt