Anyone trying out DK28 yet?

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Debating whether or not its worth going back to stock to try it out.
Since were not to the point of custom kernels yet, im debating whether or not to give it a try.

if theres no bugs or anything im on board. anyone please report back with your findings

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I am tempted to at least try it. Question is can a release candidate update update normally via OTA like the prev 2.1 update did?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am tempted to at least try it. Question is can a release candidate update update normally via OTA like the prev 2.1 update did?

Upgrading to official Froyo will be no harder than installing DK28. It won't be OTA, it will be .pit and .tar files you flash with Odin. OTA is less reliable than files you can confirm downloaded correctly using checksum.

I'm pulling it down now and prepping to upgrade per the HOWTO here:

How To: Update Sprint Epic 4G to Android 2.2 - BriefMobile

I would STRONGLY recommend using this method instead if you want root. It comes with the DK28 modem and is pre-rooted.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if i use this method, will the update still be pushed to my phone when it is official? I dont want to put the update, then get another one pushed to the phone, and risk getting it bricked. TiA

See post #5 :D

And no need to worry about bricking - if you have a non-stock phone, it won't let you update OTA anyway.

Reactions: fgcchevy

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
See post #5 :D

And no need to worry about bricking - if you have a non-stock phone, it won't let you update OTA anyway.

I see you say to use the method with root pre installed, but will i loose any functions with root? I see some evo hacks disable the camera or 4g. I need this phone to work as it would with stock rom. This will be my fist time rooting an android device, and i dont want to mess it up. I have manually updated the samsung moment instead of taking it into the store, and that was not to difficult at all, just wonder how much more complicated this process will be, before i attempt. If this works i will be more likely to root my brand new evo, ive had for a week now, but am afraid to frak it up,lol. TiA

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's the error I get:

E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I just made my own detailed instructions to install Froyo here. You will have better luck with that method.

I see you say to use the method with root pre installed, but will i loose any functions with root? I see some evo hacks disable the camera or 4g. I need this phone to work as it would with stock rom. This will be my fist time rooting an android device, and i dont want to mess it up. I have manually updated the samsung moment instead of taking it into the store, and that was not to difficult at all, just wonder how much more complicated this process will be, before i attempt. If this works i will be more likely to root my brand new evo, ive had for a week now, but am afraid to frak it up,lol. TiA

Sounds like you should wait a few days until others have tested this Froyo version for bugs.

Reactions: fgcchevy

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I just renamed to update.zip ( I renamed the old update.zip first that I had there) and chose update from my freshly un-unrooted phone and it was insanely easy.. phone is unbelievably fast.. A couple of new/changed apps I noticed.. All my apps are there.. no need to restore anything !!! I just had to resign into google.

Last edited:

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
BTW, I had originally rooted to change the hosts file as I hate adverts in websites and then I un-rooted and I noticed that this 'update' did not touch my hosts file which is awesome..

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
4G works.. 3G works... GPS I haven't a clue too cold to go out..

Update.. I got GPS lock inside my livingroom for the first time lol

Holy [expletive deleted] - I got a GPS lock inside my house in the hills, where nobody every gets reception/signals. Could this be the GPS fix everyone's been waiting for?

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Holy [expletive deleted] - I got a GPS lock inside my house in the hills, where nobody every gets reception/signals. Could this be the GPS fix everyone's been waiting for?

Ha virtual hi-five...

Also, I don't care for the new messaging however.. can that be changed? It's way to colorful for me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech