Which ROM has best GPS Improvements....

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I updated to DK28 2.2 via briefmobile and just rooted my Epic. But I am one of those that still has the GPS issues. I've read that Quantum and/or TrulyEpic are really good or better than DK28, but does either ROMs improve/fix the GPS? This is the only problem that I am having w/2.2 so far. Everything else is sweeeet. :D

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
GPS is hit and miss for everyone, no matter what ROM you're using. Even the ROMs that claim excellent GPS still have users with problems.

Try using this thread if you have a broken GPS.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
my gps has been fine the whole time.
before it would be a radius of 10m now its only 1-3

with quantum 2.0. but it was the same with vipers dk27 or whatever the old build number was

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So if I want my GPS to work (or possibly improve) my steps should be:

d/l DI18
Lock my GPS
Make a nandroid and wipe data/cache 3 times and flash the stock rom and reboot
reboot, go back into clockwork and flash the update.zip for 2.2.1 - which is DK28 update

then install TulyEpic via:
1) Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card
2) Boot into Clockwork, go to "backup and restore" and then "Restore" (now you have a backup of your phone just in case).
3) Go to and execute "wipe data/factory reset". Then go to and execute "wipe cache partition".
4) Go to "install zip from SD card" then to "choose zip from SD card", find the zip of your ROM and select and install it.
5) Reboot and done!

Hopefully my GPS will lock.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So if I want my GPS to work (or possibly improve) my steps should be:

d/l DI18
Lock my GPS
Make a nandroid and wipe data/cache 3 times and flash the stock rom and reboot
reboot, go back into clockwork and flash the update.zip for 2.2.1 - which is DK28 update

then install TulyEpic via:
1) Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card
2) Boot into Clockwork, go to "backup and restore" and then "Restore" (now you have a backup of your phone just in case).
3) Go to and execute "wipe data/factory reset". Then go to and execute "wipe cache partition".
4) Go to "install zip from SD card" then to "choose zip from SD card", find the zip of your ROM and select and install it.
5) Reboot and done!

Hopefully my GPS will lock.

Eclair = Android 2.1, Froyo = Android 2.2

And not sure if you saw this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/47362-three-procedures-fix-gps-problems-froyo.html

Yes, this is the process/links that I used. and THERE IS A GOD!!!! My GPS LOCKED!!!! :D :D :D

It locked w/in 10 seconds.

It locked via "Maps" & "Navigation" & Sprint Nav.
This is sweeeeet!!!!

Last edited:

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
IGNORE POST: WRONG THREAD

Has anyone els had preiodic problems w/their GPS. I can get a lock in about 2-3 min w/the "Maps" app, but I keep getting Searching for GPS in the "Navigation" app even after my GPS has locked. My GPS was working flawlessly in previous ROMs.

I d/l GPS Status and get a lock (I don't know what the #s mean).

Any help??

NOTE: I did not do the EXT4 procedures.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
GPS breakage seems random, doesn't matter what ROM you're on. You could flash the same ROM 100 times and sometimes your GPS would work, sometimes it wouldn't (from my experience at least). See my link in post #8 for fixes.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
GPS Fix Question

The GPS on my Epic does not work. Google maps consistently reports my location is temporarily unavailable. GPS Test is frequently unable to use any of the satellites that it detects. MyTracks can't determine a location. The RunKeeper app I have on my phone can't give me a full strength GPS signal.

Through looking at various android sites and the Sprint forums, I have seen reports that those who have installed the "unofficial" Froyo update have a working GPS. I've also seen reports that the same unofficial Froyo update has not fixed the GPS problem.

While some may say that the Froyo update is really no big deal, all I want is two things as far as the update:
a working GPS​
the ability to save apps to the SD card​
I don't quite understand why it is taking Sprint/Samsung so long to get this updated software out. Last month, Samsung was tweeting that they have no information regarding the update and are unable to speculate a date due to the fact that it may cause confusion. Now Samsung is "modifying" the same statement by just rewording it to say "Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience" and "We are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners as soon as possible."

I don't have any experience in modifying the stock Android to a custom ROM and getting root access. At this point, I really don't know how much longer I will have to wait before the official release comes out. What I am wondering is if I read up on root access and installing a custom ROM, does the DK28 or some other ROM fix the GPS?

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Installing DK28 and a custom ROM is not as hard as one would think. I mean, this is my first Android phone and I was able to do it working w/this OS for 3 months. I read quite a few links/direction methods and took my time, but I was able to successfully do it. The tech team here is far better than the Sprint Tech support. And it has been stated time & time again that no question is a stupid question.

Rooting: http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-clockworkmod-recovery-rom-manager-guide.html

Once you're rooted, installing a ROM is easy breezy. just back up your previous settings, factory reset, wipe data 3x, & install the ROM.

One thing that I did in selecting my ROM of choice is read through the threads to see what problems (workarounds/updates) people have experienced. IMO midNIGHT has worked best for me.

Remember: you will encounter problems as these ROMS are not official releases, but damn good developers are here in the forums to assist you. So far, I've had to reset my GPS, but it comes w/the fun of having Froyo. So, I've just developed a personal cheat sheet for the GPS fix & keep it handy.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Best solution is if you choose to go from Eclair to Froyo, once you get on Froyo the first thing you should do is try and get a GPS lock. Most of the time it works, occasionally a reboot will resolve the issue for some people it doesn't.

Now if you go rooted with a custom ROM, they have GPS tweaks in place that are pretty reliable at making GPS work. Regardless GPS is still an issue to some and until Samsung/Sprint comes up with a official fix for it, these are the best options we have.

Eclair I would get a GPS lock of 30-50 meters on Google Maps at best.

Once I moved to stock DK28 Froyo, GPS lock of 10 meters on average.

Now rooted on custom DK28 Froyo roms, GPS lock of 2-3 meters on average.

Hope this helps make your decision easier.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer