09-01-2011 07:40 AM
460 ... 171819
tools
    Also the link to clockwork isn't working, is it just me or anyone else?
    03-02-2011 02:10 AM
    Sorry if this question sounds stupid, But I'm a complete noob at rooting, and actually to androids also, but I go completely lost on step 3. Where do I get the ROM or what is that.

Thanks in advance
    there isnt a ROM listed here but there are alot over at xda Epic 4G Android Development - xda-developers
    but I reccomend the TER rebirth (truly epic rom) which is ext4 and can be found on these forums
    03-16-2011 08:30 AM
    Also the link to clockwork isn't working, is it just me or anyone else?
    It works fine for me but here is another link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DT6FESD0 I just uploaded it 5 minutes ago
    03-16-2011 08:35 AM
    A complete list of Froyo EB13 ROMs, etc can be found here at Android Central at the link below.

[Index] Froyo EB13 ROM's, Kernels, Themes, & Other Mods [Updated 3/14]

Also the OneClickRootCWM3.zip link in the OP is working once again. The original source link was down for a day and was fixed.
    03-16-2011 09:57 AM
    i rooted with the rfs version because at first i just wanted to get apps like shootme and setcpu but now i would like to convert to ext4..how could i do this
    04-05-2011 07:50 PM
    i rooted with the rfs version because at first i just wanted to get apps like shootme and setcpu but now i would like to convert to ext4..how could i do this
    Follow procedure #2 in this thread below.

[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4 - Updated 4/1
    04-05-2011 08:19 PM
    I am new to this whole concept of 'flashing' and "rooting' and stuff - I am begining to figure out what all the terms mean - I love my epic - I would like to improve the performance - heck,I would love to install lthe Gingerbread upgrade I have seen around - (I have a copy of it downloaded and havn't done anything with it yet) to be honest I am struggelling with the concept of 'rooting' my phone, concerned I am going to ruin someting and be 'screwed' if you know what I mean.

First of all - the instructions you have given here are the best I have seen so far for getting started down this path - and I think I can actually follow along and do all the steps correctly - but I guess what I want to know is - is it worth the risk? What are the chances that I will screw things up and not be able to get them back - and do the benefits you get from doing this stuff make it work it all? (I realize you are not giving instructions for doing the Gingerbread upgrade - but It seems to me if I did the things you are suggesting here - I would be closer to being able to that if I did decide to ) SOOOO - is it worth it ?

Would I be better off just waiting until the Gingerbread update comes along in a few weeks or months - or whatever?

One other question - when downloading some of the files necessary (not from your links but from others I have seen online) there was one file in particular that no matter where I attempted to download it from, I got virus warnings from Microsoft Essentials which ended up blocking and removing the file when I tried to download it - Was this normal or is it more likely that the file was corrupted and had a real virus in it?

I appreciate your comments -

I do appreciate your thoughts -
    07-27-2011 10:09 PM
    I am new to this whole concept of 'flashing' and "rooting' and stuff - I am begining to figure out what all the terms mean - I love my epic - I would like to improve the performance - heck,I would love to install lthe Gingerbread upgrade I have seen around - (I have a copy of it downloaded and havn't done anything with it yet) to be honest I am struggelling with the concept of 'rooting' my phone, concerned I am going to ruin someting and be 'screwed' if you know what I mean.

First of all - the instructions you have given here are the best I have seen so far for getting started down this path - and I think I can actually follow along and do all the steps correctly - but I guess what I want to know is - is it worth the risk? What are the chances that I will screw things up and not be able to get them back - and do the benefits you get from doing this stuff make it work it all? (I realize you are not giving instructions for doing the Gingerbread upgrade - but It seems to me if I did the things you are suggesting here - I would be closer to being able to that if I did decide to ) SOOOO - is it worth it ?

Would I be better off just waiting until the Gingerbread update comes along in a few weeks or months - or whatever?

One other question - when downloading some of the files necessary (not from your links but from others I have seen online) there was one file in particular that no matter where I attempted to download it from, I got virus warnings from Microsoft Essentials which ended up blocking and removing the file when I tried to download it - Was this normal or is it more likely that the file was corrupted and had a real virus in it?

I appreciate your comments -

I do appreciate your thoughts -
    First the so called virus or trojan horse that your virus scan is finding is the "rageinthecage" file that is in the OneClickRoot apps to root your device. THIS IS NOT A VIRUS... It was listed as an exploit because of what it does, "its the needed key file to root your device" and all the virus scan programs were updated to treat it as a virus when you go to extract and use the root pgm.

When you go t extract the Oneclickroot pgm and actually root your device just temp. disable your anti virus scanners until your finished or else it won't allow it to root or extract the files.

As far as rooting there is always a risk but 99.9% of the time everything works and normally any screw ups can be recovered from if you just stop and ask questions.

Bottom line read up, and anything your not sure of just ask and we will help you out.
    07-28-2011 01:31 AM
    OK. HERES A QUESTION THAT HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH... I have been rooted and running the Truly Epic rebirth v 1.5 clean version for some time on my Epic 4g for a while. Every thing has been fine up until tonight when i dropped my phone . Screen is all jacked up. I have used Clock work Mod3 to back up my device. THe question is when i get my replacement what do i have to do to get it back to where i am now...????(rooted, clockworkMod3, and ROm with all my current info/apps)
    I'm guessing I'll have to root and install clock work mod3 all over again... but will my backup .zip file restore to my new phone at that point?
    09-01-2011 05:43 AM
    Yes root your device and get it setup with the same clock work mod and then you should be able to restore your previous backup. Also I might add since your probably running EXT 4 setup you will probably have to first do the EXT 4 conversion first then go and restore your backup.
    09-01-2011 07:40 AM
460 ... 171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD