09-01-2011 07:40 AM
460 1234 ...
tools
    Dint work, every step went accordingly except 5a I flashed it through the new clockwork but it aborte, then I tryed with the old clockwork it installed the quantum rom and the dk28-ext4kernel-final.zip but when I rebooted it got stuck on the samsung screen. HELP PLEASE :-(
    12-31-2010 10:20 PM
    You can only use ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.2 - flashing anything with v2.5.1.0 will not work. Are you sure completed Step 4f successfully? If you're not sure I would try starting again from that step.
    12-31-2010 11:16 PM
    I tryed to do it over and step 4f went thru fine but the rom instalation still aborts maybe I should try midnight insted of quantum?
    01-01-2011 01:53 PM
    I tryed to do it over and step 4f went thru fine but the rom instalation still aborts maybe I should try midnight insted of quantum?
    this happened to me too. do step 4f again and make sure you plug in or re-plug in usb cable. first time it seemd it worked but it was way too short. when I did it again it was much longer install for 4f and then step 5 (quantum ROM) loaded fine
    01-01-2011 03:18 PM
    FYI, it seems to be after EXT4 (or perhaps quantum) my camera pictures load slower. maybe RFS is optimized for this and EXT4 isn't.
    01-01-2011 04:39 PM
    this happened to me too. do step 4f again and make sure you plug in or re-plug in usb cable. first time it seemd it worked but it was way too short. when I did it again it was much longer install for 4f and then step 5 (quantum ROM) loaded fine
    thanks! tryed it till in lasted for a while and that fixed it!! this thing is blazing fast awsome lag fix, samsung should incorporate this
    01-01-2011 07:18 PM
    Thanks Ragnarox for the instructions! After initially trying Froyo, and almost bricking my phone, I was scared off for a month. However, I got tired of the blah 2.1 and wanted the Apps2SD so I could fit more medical apps. So I first Odin'd to an extended Froyo (couldn't get the Froyo here to work in Odin due to a bad hash value). Then did the prepare and other files onto SD here. Then after I couldn't get the install-ext4.bat to work, and as I had already wiped data, etc, I put

ext4-formatter.zip on my SD

from [MOD] Epic4G EXT4 Support [Froyo Only] [No More RFS!][Updated/Fixed v1.3] - xda-developers and it worked. then the rest of the installation of Quantum ROM and DK28ext4 kernel went fine.

Now I am up and running and installing all over again like mad.

thanks again - much less traumatic than first time!
    01-01-2011 10:30 PM
    Now after I flash the EXT4 Formatter and flash the EXT4 ROM I want, do I have to do the update.zip before rebooting the system to start on the new ROM?
    01-01-2011 11:04 PM
    How can I get the samsung widgets back? I have mid night ext4 and I tryed flashing the widgets with the new clockwork but no luck, anyone know how to?
    01-01-2011 11:44 PM
    The samsung widgets only work with touchwiz. If you want to use them, you need a ROM with touchwiz. I know midnight doesn't come with it, not sure what ROMs do.

No offense meant, but I can't really imagine why you would want to use them. There are much better replacement options.
    01-02-2011 01:30 AM
    Now after I flash the EXT4 Formatter and flash the EXT4 ROM I want, do I have to do the update.zip before rebooting the system to start on the new ROM?
    No update.zip required, after you finish the procedure just boot up.

How can I get the samsung widgets back? I have mid night ext4 and I tryed flashing the widgets with the new clockwork but no luck, anyone know how to?
    Try Quantum ROM - it has TouchWiz and all the widgets.
    01-02-2011 03:56 AM
    anyone else experiencing slow dcim loads for pics?
    01-02-2011 10:22 AM
    anyone else experiencing slow dcim loads for pics?

No problems here. I have over 100 pics on my device and when I goto gallery or use any other methods of opening the DCIM pics its instant. Very quick over pre-EXT4.
    01-02-2011 11:50 AM
    I did this ext4with midnight rom and the gingerbread theme. It fast as looks good. I also installed the ext4 on the dk28 extended rom and it works just fine.
    ragnarokx likes this.
    01-02-2011 01:24 PM
    Good to know it works on the extended DK28. The developer of this EXT4 conversion was advising against that version of Froyo.
    01-02-2011 05:19 PM
    so i just tried this today. it went fine, or so i thought. now it seems that i cant boot into the new version of clockwork, no matter what i try. And if i dont boot the phone up through the old clock work, it gets stuck on the samsung screen. I dont know what i did wrong but its aggravating the crap out of me....
    01-03-2011 01:53 PM
    There are two methods in the 1st post - if one didn't work for you, you could try the other.
    01-03-2011 02:44 PM
    alright, ill try it again when i get home and have more time. i could use quantum 2.7 yea?
    01-03-2011 05:48 PM
    Important notes
    ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.2 must be used for anything you flash from now on, as long as you have the EXT4 filesystem in place. Unfortunately when you boot into Clockwork manually or using ROM Manager, you are taken to Clockwork v2.5.1.0 instead of Clockwork v2.5.1.2.

There are a few ways to get to Clockwork v2.5.1.2:
    Use a program like Quickboot or Reboot Manager
    Boot into Clockwork v2.5.1.0, go to Advanced>Reboot recovery
    Use the command from Step 4c while your phone is connected to Windows and in debugging mode
    Can someone explain this to me? Clockwork is something that is installed. How do two versions get installed? Why can't the v2.5.1.0 be removed/replaced? I just don't grasp why it isn't replaced by default.
    01-03-2011 07:02 PM
    I'm not sure myself but it really isn't too big of a deal at this point. As Ragnarokx posted getting to the 2.5.1.2 has a few different routes that can be done easily.

If you been following any of this now they have ClockWorkMod 3.0.0.5 out on the newest Quantum ROM and that is REALLY causing some headaches over at XDA from what I've been reading..

People booting into 2.5.1.2, then booting into 3.0.0.2 then into 3.0.0.5 ! Talk about crazy... I'll sit back and let things get ironed out before I update again with the new ClockWork
    01-03-2011 07:18 PM
    alright, ill try it again when i get home and have more time. i could use quantum 2.7 yea?
    Quantum v2.7 should work fine.

Can someone explain this to me? Clockwork is something that is installed. How do two versions get installed? Why can't the v2.5.1.0 be removed/replaced? I just don't grasp why it isn't replaced by default.
    Clockwork v2.5.1.0 is independent of the ROM you're using. Clockwork v2.5.1.2 is actually baked into the ROM - it's not permanently installed on your phone. The creator of the Clockwork redirect (noobnl) has not made the redirector compatible with v2.5.1.2, which is why we have to use this strange work around.
    01-03-2011 07:20 PM
    thanks for the guide. i've hold off rooting and flashing to give samsung and sprint a chance to improve the device with stock updates. but the fiasco with froyo is really ticking me off. i've bookmarked the guide and will be downloading files soon. thanks again.
    01-03-2011 07:59 PM
    After doing this will I notice a speed difference immediately or will I first need to install a custom ROM with EXT4 support?
    01-03-2011 08:44 PM
    If this question has already been answered, I apologize, but I couldn't tell just by an initial reading of the posts thus far.

Is there a kernel that will work with the vanilla Samsung software to support ext4 in DK28? Do I HAVE to use a custom ROM?
    01-03-2011 08:50 PM
    After doing this will I notice a speed difference immediately or will I first need to install a custom ROM with EXT4 support?
    You will need to install a custom ROM supporting EXT4. Once installed you will notice a great difference.
    01-03-2011 09:12 PM
460 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD