09-01-2011 07:40 AM
460 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Can I follow the new procedure if I'm on a stock phone (2.1, no DK28 modem, unrooted, etc) in order to flash an ext4 rom? Or will I have to get my phone up to DK28 first since those roms use the DK28 modem any way?
    01-04-2011 11:34 PM
    how do i restore my phone? because now whenever i try to reboot its stuck in the samsung screen....
    01-04-2011 11:39 PM
    Can I follow the new procedure if I'm on a stock phone (2.1, no DK28 modem, unrooted, etc) in order to flash an ext4 rom? Or will I have to get my phone up to DK28 first since those roms use the DK28 modem any way?
    First you should install Froyo. Go to the bottom of post #1 in this thread for a how-to on installing Froyo. After you're done with that, you're ready to follow the [Procedure] in this thread.

how do i restore my phone? because now whenever i try to reboot its stuck in the samsung screen....
    See the link I posted above.
    01-04-2011 11:41 PM
    ok i got it now sorry i read it wrong
    01-04-2011 11:45 PM
    so if i want to update to quantum 2.7 do i just replace the 2.5 zip with it?
    01-04-2011 11:53 PM
    That may fix your problem, yes. Make sure to factory reset and clear cache in Clockwork before installing Quantum v2.7.
    01-04-2011 11:58 PM
    roger that ill let you know how it goes
    01-04-2011 11:59 PM
    Can not install quantom rom2.5 on clockwork 3.0.0.5 and phone wont recover now need help
    You'll have to give us more info than that. Pull out the battery for a moment, then, if you power up the phone holding down the camera, power, and volume-down button, what do you get?
    ragnarokx likes this.
    01-05-2011 12:02 AM
    thanks for the help sushi but rag already fixed me errors lol
    01-05-2011 12:03 AM
    running 2.7 and it is quick and very smooth thanks alot
    01-05-2011 12:18 AM
    thanks for the help sushi but rag already fixed me errors lol
    Great news! What was the fix?
    01-05-2011 12:46 AM
    Any instructions for mac users...I really want this, but I don't have access to a windows computer...thanks
    01-05-2011 01:51 AM
    Any instructions for mac users...I really want this, but I don't have access to a windows computer...thanks
    Ragnarokx our moderator may have another answer for you but have you tried posting your question over at one of the EXT4 supported ROM threads at XDA Developers forums for the Samsung Epic?

Just making the suggestion since those are the devs who would most likely have a answer.
    01-05-2011 09:05 AM
    I feel the need to preemptively apologize for my "newbieness".

Anyways... Last nite I flashed DK28 with Odin and booted up. My intentions were to get a GPS lock (which was unsuccessful) and continue on with rooting and so on. When I noticed how nice this DK28 was I decided to mess with it a bit.

So my question is: How stable is this DK28 build? I know Sprint did not leak a stable build so is this a tweaked build? Everything seems to work great (other than GPS). I plan to root and use a different rom eventually, but in the mean time I am content with this Froyo as long as I do not run into problems.
    01-05-2011 09:47 AM
    I feel the need to preemptively apologize for my "newbieness".

Anyways... Last nite I flashed DK28 with Odin and booted up. My intentions were to get a GPS lock (which was unsuccessful) and continue on with rooting and so on. When I noticed how nice this DK28 was I decided to mess with it a bit.

So my question is: How stable is this DK28 build? I know Sprint did not leak a stable build so is this a tweaked build? Everything seems to work great (other than GPS). I plan to root and use a different rom eventually, but in the mean time I am content with this Froyo as long as I do not run into problems.
    If you are talking about stock DK28 Froyo which is the leaked version then its stable for the most part and real close to the final build application and layout speaking. GPS is still an issue for some people even on the newest of ROMs. Otherwise there are some occasional FC's (force closings) here and there. Only other complaint people have made was battery life to some people was not so good.

All of the custom DK28 Froyo roms now have tweaks in place that have improved GPS, battery life and minimized most FC's.
    sylvio13 likes this.
    01-05-2011 10:01 AM
    If you are talking about stock DK28 Froyo which is the leaked version then its stable for the most part and real close to the final build application and layout speaking. GPS is still an issue for some people even on the newest of ROMs. Otherwise there are some occasional FC's (force closings) here and there. Only other complaint people have made was battery life to some people was not so good.

All of the custom DK28 Froyo roms now have tweaks in place that have improved GPS, battery life and minimized most FC's.
    Thanks! So if I root and install Titanium Backup or some other backup app, when I change to a different rom, can I restore my apps easily? (App brain was nice but not as seamless as I would have liked.)

Thanks again.
    01-05-2011 10:05 AM
    Thanks! So if I root and install Titanium Backup or some other backup app, when I change to a different rom, can I restore my apps easily? (App brain was nice but not as seamless as I would have liked.)

Thanks again.
    Yes Titanium Backup/MyBackUp etc will work. Also new to Froyo is has the new Setup Wizard which on your first bootup will ask you if you want to have Google backup your apps. It will then track and backup your apps and from that point on any ROM you switch to that has this feature enabled will automatically restore your downloaded apps automatically.
    sylvio13 likes this.
    01-05-2011 10:15 AM
    Hello all, first this worked on my epic and my wife's epic. Neither worked after upgrading to Froyo but worked perfectly under eclaire. What worked for me: I went back to 2.1, checked to make sure both phones had GPS signal, which they did. I then did a factory reset, went back on both phones and confirmed GPS had signal, which they did. Before turning phone off, I made sure GPS receiver was ON. I turned phone off then upgraded to 2.2 using Odin3 V1.61. I used "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL" and "victory_8G_100528.pit".

Both phones upgraded without issue and both have GPS signals as they did under 2.1.

I don't know why this worked but remember seeing this somewhere sometime back but had forgotten it. I had tried other methods of repairing GPS to no avail.

I don't know what difference leaving GPS radio on when turning off phone has but something is different?

Good luck, Ken.
    01-05-2011 11:00 AM
    Hello all, first this worked on my epic and my wife's epic. Neither worked after upgrading to Froyo but worked perfectly under eclaire. What worked for me: I tried nothing else. I went back to 2.1, checked to make sure both phones had GPS signal, which they did. I then did a factory reset, went back on both phones and confirmed GPS had signal, which they did. Before turning phone off, I made sure GPS receiver was ON. I turned phone off then upgraded to 2.2 using Odin3 V1.61. I used "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL" and "victory_8G_100528.pit".

Both phones upgraded without issue and both have GPS signals as they did under 2.1.

I don't know why this but remember seeing this somewhere sometime back but had forgotten it. I had tried other methods of repairing GPS to no avail.

I don't know what difference leaving GPS radio on when turning off phone has but something is different?

Good luck, Ken.
    That is basically the same method I use whenever I switch ROMs or come from Eclair up to Froyo.

1) GPS lock on Eclair, then backout and reboot in recovery and update.zip to Froyo
    2) GPS lock immediately on Froyo

Then whenever I switch ROM's I use the same practice, I GPS lock before I go into ClockWork and then flash and I always have a working GPS.

Seems to work so until something else pops that is what I'm sticking with.
    01-05-2011 11:07 AM
    Just to make things clear before anyone goes to the new Clockwork v3.0.0.5, if you were a fan of using many of the custom themes & addons listed here on the Compendium of Froyo Themes & Add-Ons | Last Update 12/31 page they are NO LONGER USABLE WITH CLOCKWORK V3.0.0.5. I know this was mentioned in the first post of this thread explaining things but just in case you over looked it.

You will have to wait until themes & add ons supporting (Edify scripts) is created. I'm sure Ragnarokx will post them as any become available and mark them appropriately.

If anything concerning what I have posted here is incorrect I apologize and please feel free to speak up.
    01-05-2011 12:37 PM
    I hate to ask this again, but based off Quadrant benchmark, I don't see any performance increases post changing to EXT4! I was getting around 1000 or so with eclaire and about the same after installing EXT4 running Quantum Rom. I haven't tried Midnight yet but would a different ROM make that big a difference?

I have tried to duplicate same parameters when running Quadrant (closed all programs, after a fresh restart, etc).

Thanks, Ken.
    01-05-2011 01:59 PM
    Well, everything went well until the phone was turned off and back on. it wont get passed SAMSUNG black screen white letters. i can boot into the menu using down/camera/power, but i really dont feel like wiping my phone completely. is there anything im missing/ should be doing???

(this is the first time I've tried doing this)
    01-05-2011 02:17 PM
    Paul, are you saying that the link on page 1 is 3.0.0.5? If that is the case, which clockwork version do I need?
    Thanks...Ken.
    01-05-2011 02:48 PM
    Okay, so I am going to do this. Complete noob here, so bare with me. I have downloaded the samsung drivers and installed them. I downloaded Odin3+v1.61 and the Samsung dk28.

I extracted Odin and launched Odin. In the PIT field I choose the victory file, in the PDA field I choose the DK28 file.

Boot into recovery, plugged into computer, rectangle box on the left went yellow.

If i hit start then I will have stock FroYo on my Epic, right?

From there I go to http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...-v1-5-0-a.html and do procedure 2.

Then I??

Basically after I hit start in Odin and I get the success light I have FroYo. I then want to get EXT4 and a ROM. What procedure do I do after that? I am sure it was answered but like I said I am nervous to ef something up.

Thanks for the help!
    01-05-2011 03:32 PM
    Paul, are you saying that the link on page 1 is 3.0.0.5? If that is the case, which clockwork version do I need?
    Thanks...Ken.
    Yes the very first procedure, step #2 is the link to the new OneClickRootCWM3.zip. That will root/install ClockWorkMod v3.0.0.5 and EXT 4 file system all in one package.

Just remember once on this newest ClockWorkMod v3.0.0.5 you can only flash the newest ROMs supporting the "Edify script".

All other DK-28 Froyo ROMs you will have to will have to use the older ClockWorkMod v2.5.1.0 also found further down on the 1st post page under "Archives for outdated procedures"

I know this is getting confusing but it will eventually work itself out with all the new updates. Best thing is to decide what ROM you want and then narrow down your options from there.
    01-05-2011 03:34 PM
460 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD