You want to run custom ROMs? ** Updated **

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I did this thread simply to point out a few things before we jump in and get our feet wet in the world of rooting phones and custom roms.

:: Update ::

There seems to be a bit of confusion of what is needed to run what. Here's a quick rundown.

If new to rooting, then you need to first decide what ROM you want to run and that will dictate which approach you should take.

If you want to run any of the newest ROMs that say ClockWorkMod v3.0.0.5 (EXT 4/Edify Script) then you need to be on CWM3 to flash/run these ROMs. Go here to setup for this Epic Lag Fix: RFS to EXT4 (Now w/Clockwork v3.0.0.5) Also note, any themes/add ons will also have to be listed as CWM3/Edify Script ready to flash/use on these ROMs.

All other ROMs that simply say *** ClockWorkMod v2.x.x.x (EXT4 Filesystem or EXT4/RFS Dual Filesystem) then you can go here Epic Lag Fix: RFS to EXT4 (Now w/Clockwork v3.0.0.5) and goto the Archives for outdated procedures (for reference only, do not use) section and follow the New Procedure to get properly setup to run/flash those ROMs.

*** Note these versions of ROMs are still nice ROMs but the version of CWM and Scripting (Amend Script) are quickly becoming outdated and not being used by the newest developments. Not to say there is anything wrong with them, they work perfectly fine.

:: /End Update ::

You want to run custom ROMs? Read below and hopefully you will have a better experience.

1.) No question is dumb/stupid. ALWAYS ask before doing something your not sure about even if it means waiting a bit longer.

2.) The guides that Ragnarokx has posted here are very detailed and he is constantly updating them and looking for ways to make as many options possible for everyone to enjoy rooting and custom roms/themes.

3.) Along with following the guides here, its a good idea to follow the links provided to the devs (developers) thread and skim threw and read what some of the known problems are and fixes, suggestions as this may help you before and during your experience.

4.) Follow things EXACTLY as posted. Don't try any shortcuts or switching of steps because things can turn bad real quick.

5.) I will usually print out a copy of the ROMs main post. The devs and/or Ragnarokx's installation instructions which are usually found in the first couple posts of all the threads. Having a hard copy is nice when your learning or something is really complicated so your have it right there in front of you to reference from.

6.) Follow rule #1...

7.) Don't be afraid to use that Search function in the threads, it can be very helpful at times.

Find what you like, read about it as much as you can before attempting so your well educated then if you have any questions post in the thread matching the ROM or problem and wait a few before moving on. Also the General Section area of the forums has some good basic guides to answer questions on what something means or does.

Have a good day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biggnaa20

edub#WN

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
whenever i flash to a rom my phone would work with the new rom but i would have no service(i cant make or receive a call) i use clockwork 3.0.0.5 and ive tried different roms and get the same thing and the only way to get it back to working (w/ sprint service) i have to flash it back to stock. please help...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
whenever i flash to a rom my phone would work with the new rom but i would have no service(i cant make or receive a call) i use clockwork 3.0.0.5 and ive tried different roms and get the same thing and the only way to get it back to working (w/ sprint service) i have to flash it back to stock. please help...

Sounds like your missing the DK28 modem.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Go down to the New: Flash Froyo DK28 Modem Only

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
how should i go about getting things working. should i flash to dk28 1st and then flash to the rom that i want?

If you are still on CWM3/EXT4 with a custom ROM then use Odin to flash the modem. Then give it a shot.

If you already used Odin to return to stock Eclair 2.1 then go here to get a prerooted/deodex version of Froyo DK28 and then you can convert up to the CWM3/EXT4 system.

Last edited:

edub#WN

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are still on CWM3/EXT4 with a custom ROM then use Odin to flash the modem. Then give it a shot.

If you already used Odin to return to stock Eclair 2.1 then go here to get a prerooted/deodex version of Froyo DK28 and then you can convert up to the CWM3/EXT4 system.

thx! i will try that

edub#WN

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i did it but im not able to upgrade the clockwork to 3.x.x. from the 2.5.x.x is has now and when i do the OneClickRootCWM3 it wont change it

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i did it but im not able to upgrade the clockwork to 3.x.x. from the 2.5.x.x is has now and when i do the OneClickRootCWM3 it wont change it

Sounds like you might need to factory restore it. But no need to fret! It only takes a couple of minutes to gain root again by the one click root method!