[ROM] midNIGHT ROM v4.2 (BYOR Edition) CW3 Redirector/EXT4 and CIQ Removed 3/9/2011

ptfdmedic

Aug 7, 2010
www.lostandtired.com
Welcome to the midNIGHT ROM Thread (For Official Froyo)​

======================================================================================

Announcements

UPDATE: Going forward I need to move to making all announcements for midNIGHT ROM via Twitter. This will allow me to streamline everything and make it much less complicated for me. Follow my on Twitter.

If you guys like the midNIGHT ROM you can vote for it here.

I want to THANK everyone for their support and patience while I put this together...

===========================================================================================================================================
I NEED YOUR HELP:
While you are waiting for the ROM to download please read and share the following two posts:

You ask why we need Autism Awareness?

My Broken Heart: The "bare handed man": This is EXACTLY why we NEED Autism Awareness.

The Future, Fear and Autism: This is why I fear the future and how YOU can HELP.
===========================================================================================================================================

Current Release:
----------------------------
midNIGHT ROM v4.2 (BYOR Edition) NCIQ CW3/EXT4: Uploading
Video Preview of midNIGHT ROM v4.2 (BYOR Edition)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Change Log:

1) New OC Bonsai Kernel and scripts (Thanks to Mammon88 and Randy_T)
2) Camera Lag has been fixed and security hole patch (Thanks to mkasick and Rodderik for the fix and Bonsai for the kernel integration)
3) Carrier IQ COMPLETELY REMOVED. (VERY,VERY big Thanks to k0nane)
4) Themes updated for compatibility and "Reboot Mod" (Thanks to MysteryEmotionz for the "Reboot Mod" and amosher13 for help with compiling the framework)
5)Voice Dialer updated with fix (Thanks Dameon)
6) No Battery Pop Up MOD (Thanks to amosher13)
7) Call Log Mod (Thanks to Mammon88 and Randy_T)
8 ) New default wallpaper (Autism Awareness)
9 ) Updated build prop to reflect the upgrade.
10) Updated midNIGHT ROM Extras

Instructions:

1) Make sure you are Rooted with NEW CW3.0.0.6 OneClick by Dameon
2) Make sure your on DI18 or EB13 already.
3) Copy the midNIGHT ROM v4.0 (BYOR Edition) to your SD card.
4) Delete the current "midNIGHT ROM Extras" folder from your SD Card
5) Boot into CW3 and let it convert (This will only happen the first time). DO NOT REBOOT.
6) Flash midNIGHT V4.2 and reboot (THIS WILL NOT WIPE DATA and DOES BACK UP AND RESTORE)
7) The Process WILL TAKE ABOUT 5 MINUTES TO FLASH SO DON'T PANIC. Also you will sit on the Samsung screen for at least a minute.
8) Using Quickboot, boot back into CW3
9) Navigate to the midNIGHT ROM Extras folder and flash individual zips to build you custom ROM.
and/or
10) Navigate to the midNIGHT ROM Extras folder and flash the midNIGHT ROM v4.2 Standard Edition UPGRADE.zip and you will enjoy the "Typical" or "Standard" midNIGHT ROM release..

ALL SUPPORT WILL BE GIVEN AT THE XDA and PPCGeeks

What do you get when you flash midNIGHT ROM (BYOR Edition)?
==============
I cleaned out the ROM (removing ALL unnecessary apks and files. When you flash the ROM you will have the following Apps pre-installed.
-----------------
Calendar
Contacts
Task Manager/Hotspot (As they can't safely be removed)
Quickboot (to keep things simple) REMOVABLE
Launcher Pro (Replaces the default launcher which I removed. This prevents some processes from running) REMOVABLE
Camera
-----------------------
The ROM is right around 100mb, so I shrunk it considerably..
You will notice however, the .zip is about 309MB. Don't panic. Here is what I did. I took all the optional .zips and made them automatically copy to your SDCard in the midNIGHT ROM Extras folder. This will make it so much easier. Next what I did is created a single .zip called midNIGHT ROM v4.2 Standard Edition UPGRADE. This .zip contains EVERYTHING you need to UPGRADE to the "standard" Edition of the midNIGHT ROM and is located sdcard/midNIGHT ROM Extras/Standard Edition UPGRADE. All you have to do is flash this one .zip and the following will be installed:
------------------------------------------------
Default Browser
YouTube
Google Talk
Google Search
Gmail
App Widget Picker
Memo (support the phone app)
Google Voice (Removable)
Clock Package (Google)
Samsung video editor (Removable)
Voice Mail
Voice Search
Voice Dialer
Market
Stock MMS/Email
Maps
Google Apps
Divx
Video Player
Music Player (Fixed so disc view works)
Gallery
GingerBread Keyboard
Working Swype (Newest Beta)
Live Wallpaper Framework
TW Live Wallpapers
Calculator
My Files

This is pretty much what I include in my "typical" releases... This should make things quiet simple for EVERYONE. If your an advanced user or just want to take the time to flash one at a time or completely customize your phone then go for it. If you want to just have a "Standard Edition" you can just flash the midNIGHT ROM v4.2 Standard Edition UPGRADE.zip" and you will be good to go. I have tested both versions. Both seem very stable and quick. Hopefully battery life is better since I removed a ton of background apps.

Credits:
Mammon88 and Randy_T: Bonsai everything. Thanks for including me in the testing phase and sharing your knowledge.
mkasick: Camera Lag Fix.
k0nane: Carrier IQ removal. Thanks for early access to the IQ removal. Thanks for answering my questions and being a good example.
MysteryEmotionz: Thanks for the help with my original theme and answering my questions over Talk and porting the reboot mod.
amosher13: Thanks for helping me figure out the error of my ways. I was finally able to rebuild my theme and include the reboot mod.
Dameon87: Thanks for bring us EXT4 and ClockWork 3. Huge Thanks for getting us started with EB13 and answering my questions.
Rodderik: Thanks for the malware patch
A very special THANK YOU goes out to my testers:
chadit
megabiteg
Science Guy
dnathan13
Darren.Wisn1
iamdasht19
Johnny Bravo
shane6374
wudstock54
capitaltpt
flyers2114
jmkasperek1

Also if you have any "Thanks" burning a hole in your pocket please visit k0nane's and bonsaithreads over spend your "Thanks" on them. They truly deserve it.
================================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI: There is a HOW TO video for installing this ROM along with CW3 on my blog as well. Look on the Android Development page. Please keep in mind that the ROM being flashed in this video is not the v2.7 but the process is the exact same. Also I skipped the wipes prior to flashing to save time.

Last edited:

ptfdmedic

Aug 7, 2010
www.lostandtired.com
This will be home to the midNIGHT Themes (edify compatible)

[Please note the "a" in each version reflects the stock lock screen]

midNIGHT Theme v3 Stock Battery Icon 1% mod (AOSP LOCK) (Edify friendly)
midNIGHT Theme v3a Stock Battery Icon 1% mod (Stock LOCK) (Edify friendly)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To view the theme in action please visit my blog and click on the Android Development page.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

midNIGHT Theme v3.1 Blue Circle Icon 1% Battery Mod (AOSP LOCK) (Edify friendly)
midNIGHT Theme v3.1a Blue Circle Icon 1% Battery Mod (Stock LOCK) (Edify friendly)

midNIGHT Theme v3.2 (CW3) Dash Gauge 1% Battery Mod (AOSP LOCK)
midNIGHT Theme v3.2a (CW3) Dash Gauge 1% Battery Mod (Stock LOCK)

midNIGHT Theme v3.3 (CW3) Dash Gauge 1% Battery Mod (AOSP LOCK)
midNIGHT Theme v3.3a (CW3) Dash Gauge 1% Battery Mod (Stock LOCK)

Death Roe

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the Swype restore zip file saved on my memory card. Can I use that after one of the first boots with this ROM? Thanks in advance. I love the ROMs, man.

Death Roe

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, go ahead and flash Swype in Clockwork. Should work no problem.

Thanks.

So I had to kinda "redo" my phone, I have 2.5.1.0 CWM. Can I flash the EXT4 no journal mod zip and then do the Midnight 2.9 and have no problems? I'm having trouble with the run.bat file recognizing my USB cable for the phone, or else I'd have CWM3 on there.

nigma2u

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Love this ROM

I love this rom, Thank you for making it.
The only problem I have with it is that the battery dies very fast.
This morning, I was on it , surfing, for about an hour and it went down to 33%. I had wifi on. I have crappy service in my building so i know that is part of the problem.
Do you have any ideas??
Again YOU ROCK!!!!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wifi will drain your battery fairly quick. Otherwise from what I'm reading this version of midNIGHT has really been stripped down to bare bones so I don't see any reason for any big power drains. Is this your first time on Froyo? If so welcome to Froyo, unfortunately with Froyo-goodness comes less quality battery life over stock Eclair.

Reactions: nigma2u

nigma2u

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am new to android, but I am catching on quickly.
I had eclair, finally got fed up and followed ragnarokx directions for froyo and ext4... bricked it a few times and kept going. I tried epic, I did not like that i could not get voicemail, after a few attempt on the sprint VM i came across MidNIGHT 2.9 and LOVVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!i have seen a decrease in Battery Life since I installed this rom, gradually it is getting worse. I have 2 calendars and 2 emails running . I set the sync on one email for every 10 minutes the other is google so i dont know how to change it.
anywho,,,, I love this forum and thanks to alll who help it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The more you have syncing will have a effect on your battery. GMail seems like it is checked once an hour from my sync history. I don't think there is any option to change how often your Google account is polled.

Reactions: nigma2u

nigma2u

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've checked everything I know. I charged it again, said it was 100% been slightly using it for about half hour, says 87% . I can literally watch it go down.
Any ideas?

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried epic, I did not like that i could not get voicemail

??? You did flash the sprint voicemail app in clockwork after installing the ROM correct? Sprint VM works fine for me...

Polling for email every 10 could be what's doing it- are you sure you can't set it up for push? What type of email account is it? I have all but my push accounts on manual or 1per day and I manually sync when I need my mail- 90% of the time, my email download in less than a minute anyway- I'd rather have the battery benefit.

Death Roe

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
What am I doing wrong?!

Okay guys,

I tried flashing Midnight 2.9 EXT4, without using the no journal mod.

Didn't work, kept being stuck on the black Samsung screen.

So I just decided to Odin it and go back to stock 2.2 Froyo.

Now, whenever I try and turn on Wi-Fi in my house for the phone, the phone goes black and "reboots" like I started it back up. It constantly does that until I turn Wi-Fi off.

AND... Bluetooth doesn't work. I push the button and it'll say "Turning on..." then it'll just go back to "Push to turn on."

What gives? Any fixes? Can I just run the EXT4 formatter again, flash Midnight 2.4 (which worked great) and just be stuck with it? I don't like stock 2.2 Froyo.

Or, what am I doing wrong to flash 2.9 on here?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
1.) Did you already have CWM 3.0.0.5 installed before you flashed midNIGHT 2.9.2?

2.) If you didn't, then you needed to follow the steps he provided to flash midNIGHT 2.9.2 using CWM 2.x.x.x

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2