sprint 2.1 wants to upgrade

Sirus213

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I was being patient with sprint and sammy to release the update and than I saw the HTC EVO have all these cool new features:eek: and I want them too!

So I have an epic 4g running 2.1(eclairDI18)
And I want this 2.2 dk28 i read in forums Im a little lost with the terminology.
So here are my questions.

1) In order to have 2.2 "leaked" aka dk28, I will need to "root" my phone?
2) What does "root" mean? whats a stocked phone? what are roms?
3) can someone give me a guide on how to not brick my phone lol and run 2.2 and with i suppose help keeping my contacts etc.. no bloatware would be great too.

Sirus213

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks robbieDoo your not the same robbiedoo that's on the sprint forums? if you are reading some of your post motivated me to attempt to root my phone but after reading a lot of these guides steps and rom versions im so overwhelmed.

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You do not need to root your phone to get DK28 installed.

I downloaded the update.zip (DK28 Leaked) onto the SD card, and the used Odin to install the modem.tar & victory_8G_100528.pit into the phone. Once It rebooted I walked out side, and got a GPS lock. While still out side with the GPS lock I turned off the phone, and restart it with the power/volume Down/Camera buttons, and ran the Update.zip. Once completely installed I tried to get a GPS lock, and it did. Done, Froyo, and a working GPS. Then I walked inside quickly because it was very, very cold outside.

I did root my phone later to get the Tether working. If you are going to ROM the device, then you will need root.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Robcy, thank you for the info. Every little bit helps. :)
However, our mission is to try all the roms available to see which one is closer to our taste :)

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree that we should try all of the ROMS, but I thought it would be unfair for sirus to walk away thinking that to get DK28 he will need to root his phone.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
finally sick of waiting. froyo update help?

im sick of the lies and the waiting. can someone please either tell me how, or send me to the proper pages to download froyo and a step by step how to install it. i want to put trulyepic on my phone, and i need 2.2 before i can install it (as per instructions). please help me.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
im lookin at them right now. theres nothing there about where to update to 2.2. theres stuff about going back to 2.1. i've spent the last hour on the forums. i cant find anything about how to get 2.2. just custom stuff.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
and the redirects are confusing the hec out of me. i really need a step by step.

download ____ (with link)
use ___ to install above.
etc etc etc. im new to these custom mods. that sticky is written above my head.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
ive tried. and im more confused than before. can someone PLEASE just post a step by step, including downloads, for those of us who have NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING. and the pages i've read on this forum are incomplete or expect a much higher lvl of rooting knowledge than i have.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i cant get the download mode to work. how long do you have to hold 1 + power for? minute? 10? because ive held them for over a minute and i get nothing. slide out keyboard right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma