Froyo DK28 Related Problems

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Every time I load a Froyo ROM on my phone, it just locks up and the screen won't respond to my swipes....then it will respond for a few swipes and touches....then it will just lock and freeze, then respond again.

The first method I used to load Froyo was just simply loading DK28 from the SD card, and the problems started there. When I flash back to DI18 my phone runs normally again, but when I flash DK28 from Odin or the SD card, the phone will just lock up and not respond to my finger for a while. This is AFTER I let the phone sit for 15-20 mins to load and it still does it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Did you wipe the data and cache?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Yup, I keep doing hard resets wiping cache partition and hard resetting to no avail. But when I return to DI18 the phone is fine and responsive again. Could it have to do with z4root? I kind of had bad problems with that and installing it. Is there any sure way to make sure all z4root and busybox elements are removed from my phone?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
one thing i noticed on DK28.....when i hit *2, the screen just goes back to the homescreen.

also, my epic has been different than my other epics. the sticker on this epic is white and smaller, while my other epics where different on the back. could this be the reason I am having problems loading froyo? i got this as a replacement because my other epic wouldn't update my profile and prl, and the tech told me they took it right from a new box so.....idk?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I keep doing hard resets wiping cache partition and hard resetting to no avail. But when I return to DI18 the phone is fine and responsive again. Could it have to do with z4root? I kind of had bad problems with that and installing it. Is there any sure way to make sure all z4root and busybox elements are removed from my phone?

Concerning removing z4root and busybox elements, when you Odin back to Eclair DI18 everything is completely "formatted basically" and reset to factory new. Odin is basically a "leaked" program that Samsung used to reset the phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Concerning removing z4root and busybox elements, when you Odin back to Eclair DI18 everything is completely "formatted basically" and reset to factory new. Odin is basically a "leaked" program that Samsung used to reset the phone.

thats what i thought. any other ideas as to why im experiencing this? i'm guessing something hardware related since DI18 works fine, but nothing else does. one way i tested to see if it was my sd card was to take it out while using Froyo to see if things improved, and the phone still locked up around every 4 or 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
thats what i thought. any other ideas as to why im experiencing this? i'm guessing something hardware related since DI18 works fine, but nothing else does. one way i tested to see if it was my sd card was to take it out while using Froyo to see if things improved, and the phone still locked up around every 4 or 5 seconds.

I've read about your problems with Froyo for some time now. Maybe Ragnarokx will have a better answer for your problems.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There's a piece of the puzzle missing here. Using Odin to flash stock Froyo gives you a clean slate - unless something is subsequently done to the system, your phone will perform normally.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
There's a piece of the puzzle missing here. Using Odin to flash stock Froyo gives you a clean slate - unless something is subsequently done to the system, your phone will perform normally.

something like....? also, sometimes Odin will freeze and I'll have to disconnect my phone and retry loading WHATEVER ROM i'm loading at the time. i just don't understand what could be wrong when it works just fine on DI18 but fubars on DK28

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of SD cards becoming semi-corrupted and slowing down systems. Try removing your SD card and then flashing Froyo via Odin.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK your situation is unprecedented, and that's my only idea left.

thanks.....tried it with no avail....guess I'm just stuck on DI18. i just flashed back and it works fine again. guess it's just my hardware....anyone know a way to semi-brick the phone so i can get a replacement lol?

i do think it's hardware related though because like I said....this Epic came with a much different sticker on the back i think the first two i had were silver, but this one is a white sticker.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
can anyone help with this?! this really sucks....i'm forced to wait on samsung unless i can get another device somehow...

is there anyone else out there who has an epic with a WHITE sticker on the back of it instead of silver?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
so apparently it IS my sd card in some form or another; when i pulled it on TrulyEpic the phone now runs fine. i'm going to back up all my files on it, format it, and then see if that fixes the problem. one question though....I know Gameloft saves data to the SD card to know if you've purchased a game or not. how will i know if those files aren't what is corrupted my system?

edit: scrath that....still does it after a reboot. for a while thought, the phone worked perfectly so idk what's going on. i'm thinking it is radio related somehow...

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
If you think it's radio related, does putting it in Airplane Mode have any effect?

yup.....had no effect :(

it's weird...before going back to DI18, TrulyEpic would work perfectly every now and then. then i would soft reset to see if it was permanent and the touchscreen just wouldn't respond after that. it happened no matter what order or how I flashed.

is it possible that there are phones out there not able to run DK28?

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
You should probably just go back to bone stock and go from there.

I doubt they made any froyo proof phones. They make the mold and computers to make the phones. Changing it would cost millions of dollars. Thats why motorola hasn't changed their droid bootloaders now that its now hackable (i think-.i haven't read up on that in a while)

I didn't read all your posts but I hope you remembered to odin everything, pit modem etc for the froyo build

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

danderson9

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Way over my head upgrading to Froyo

With the news that Android 2.2 is delayed yet again for the Epic 4G, I decided that I wanted to update.

I've spent a few hours going through threads as I did not want to ask a question that has been asked a million times, but I fear that I have totally confused myself.

I have a totally stock Epic. No root, ROMs, etc.

Here is what I *think* that I know:

1) I think that I need to backup my phone. I have no clue how. I think that I may need to get ClockworkMod, but I'm not positive nor am I sure how to install it without needing to backup. :/

2) I need to then follow the instructions under "New: Restore to Froyo DK28" at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/35212-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

3) I should follow the procedure for the Epic Lag Fix (EXT4) which roots with ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5 (which I need for step 1, so that I can backup so that I can do this... my head just exploded) at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-fix-rfs-ext4-now-w-clockwork-v3-0-0-5-a.html

4) I need to restore my settings with the backup.

If you would be so kind, please help alleviate my confusion. Thanks.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech