[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Need help with something.

I was trying to update my Epic from 2.1 to 2.2 using Odin of course in download mode and idk what happened. It failed and then i looked at my phone and it was unresponsive. So i pulled the battery and restarted it and came up with the picture in this video: YouTube - Flashing Firmware with Odin on Samsung Vibrant

I followed that videos instructions on how to get into download mode again but it is instead taking me to clockwork.

Need help guys

Thanks in Advance!

i cant listen to the video because im at work ,,, from an off state are you holding down the "1" key while powering up?

jmaciel90

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
actually just got it to work when i took the SD card out and pressed 1 and the power button. Thanks!

Im flashing it back to DI18 for now until i can figure out why DK28 wouldnt load up

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Try downloading the DK28 files again, you could of ended up with a bad file for whatever reason. Also you can try using the same procedure and leave out the .pit file.

Ostrich69

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Rom manager from market

Will rom manage from market work on my rooted epic with wither version of cwmand will it find available roms for my phone

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are currently no ROMs available for download on ROM Manager.

If you want ClockworkMod, I suggest this method. There are too many ways for problems to occur if you try and use ROM Manager to install Clockwork.

I'd recommend staying away from ROM Manager altogether, and getting used to using Clockwork directly.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Contemplating Root - Need help

I know there are tons of threads out there relative to the subject. Thing is, when there's tons, there's that much more stuff to filter through and read until finally coming across something that's almost what you want but still not exactly.

For the record though, I have read stuff here and on the web in general. I didn't find what would be ideal for me. I'll list the wish list, if you will, here and you guys let me know if it's feasible first of all. If it is, then you can then guide me in the right direction.

1) Soft root of sorts. Basically...I like TW. It's not the best but IMO, it's not crappy either. I'd like to have the perks of having a rooted phone and thus it will be but still be able to have the TW UI. Don't know if this is possible. Could be either/or...having to choose between the two. I know there are custom
roms and UIs out there and I'll ponder on those if this first thing isn't possible.

2)The main feature I look forward to is tethering. I would like to have the ability to play my Xbox 360 almost anywhere a strong network signal will allow. Most places I visit have strong 4G presence. Where I live, I get on average a good 5 mb Down and 1.3 mb up. Ping tends to hover around 180-190. Not the greatest pin and definitely not ideal. However, for those of you who do use your devices to tether and have tried playing on Xbox Live through your phones...how has your experienced fared?

3) Want to be able do the least cumbersome form of root. If possible, just download something press here, press there and voala! Done.

4) Ability to unroot just as easily....with a press here and a press there. Or...a root that isn't so thurough that even a hard reset could undo. Perhaps all roots are this way but that displays my ingnorance on the subject.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know there are tons of threads out there relative to the subject. Thing is, when there's tons, there's that much more stuff to filter through and read until finally coming across something that's almost what you want but still not exactly.

For the record though, I have read stuff here and on the web in general. I didn't find what would be ideal for me. I'll list the wish list, if you will, here and you guys let me know if it's feasible first of all. If it is, then you can then guide me in the right direction.

1) Soft root of sorts. Basically...I like TW. It's not the best but IMO, it's not crappy either. I'd like to have the perks of having a rooted phone and thus it will be but still be able to have the TW UI. Don't know if this is possible. Could be either/or...having to choose between the two. I know there are custom
roms and UIs out there and I'll ponder on those if this first thing isn't possible.
You can root and install the dedexed stock version of Froyo EB13 which will have your stock TouchWiz UI.
2)The main feature I look forward to is tethering. I would like to have the ability to play my Xbox 360 almost anywhere a strong network signal will allow. Most places I visit have strong 4G presence. Where I live, I get on average a good 5 mb Down and 1.3 mb up. Ping tends to hover around 180-190. Not the greatest pin and definitely not ideal. However, for those of you who do use your devices to tether and have tried playing on Xbox Live through your phones...how has your experienced fared?
Again if you root you can use Wireless Tethering available from [How To] Wireless Tethering for Root Users by the way, you must be the one I'm playing against on Gears of War II that has the laggy connection (LOL!!) Wireless Tethering to your phone on your XBOX.. People never believe me when I say this during gameplay that this does exist and people do it.
3) Want to be able do the least cumbersome form of root. If possible, just download something press here, press there and voala! Done.
The methods we provide are basically a one click method, hense the name.. OneClickRoot
4) Ability to unroot just as easily....with a press here and a press there. Or...a root that isn't so thurough that even a hard reset could undo. Perhaps all roots are this way but that displays my ingnorance on the subject.
Only way to undo a root on the Epic is to Odin back to stock.

Reactions: Raf

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
by the way, you must be the one I'm playing against on Gears of War II that has the laggy connection (LOL!!) The methods we provide are basically a one click method, hense the name.. OneClickRoot

:p Nah man...haven't done this yet. I let go of GOW2 long time ago...I think they messed up the MP on it. GOW 1 the original multi-player is where it's at! They should have never messed with it. There are lots of things on GOW2 MP that are cool...don't get me wrong. But making new sessions after every game really ruined it for me.

BTW, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Man...reading those threads linked earlier is a lot to take in. Lots of terms that have my head spinning. That's why I posted up my reasons for wanting root. Mainly it's for tethering with the most minimal in root as possible.

Those threads are extensive and some areas sound really dangerous. :-!

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
cool...okay. Guess I got overwhelmed with the EXT4, kernals and roms and what not.

All that stuff is to have a better file management system and really deck out your phone in terms of customizations and such, correct?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
cool...okay. Guess I got overwhelmed with the EXT4, kernals and roms and what not.

All that stuff is to have a better file management system and really deck out your phone in terms of customizations and such, correct?
Yes correct. You can still customize with the regular RFS system but the EXT4 is a more efficient file system. For what your looking to do with rooting, I would just stick with what I recommended. You can always convert at any point down the road should you change your mind.

harlowlax

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If I have one ROM flashed and I want to try another, do I remove the old one and add the new one or can I just flash the new one on top in CWM?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2