Ok so I rooted my phone recently with the TrulyEpic ROM and loved it, but my battery was dying pretty quick still due to DK28. I purchased the SetCPU app on the market but I have NO idea how to use it and what the settings are since the help website is no longer a valid URL. Anyone have any tips or hints they can share so I can get the most out of my phone?

Thanks.
    01-26-2011 12:21 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a custom kernel to overclock? If that is the case, there aren't custom kernels out for DK28, so SetCPU wouldn't help.

Take this with a grain of salt though until someone else confirms.
    01-26-2011 02:58 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a custom kernel to overclock? If that is the case, there aren't custom kernels out for DK28, so SetCPU wouldn't help.

Correct. Currently using SetCPU you can't overclock using Froyo DK28.

I personally have not used this program so I am going off of posts from others. I do know as I stated you can't use it to over clock on Froyo. You probably can use it if your running Eclair/rooted with custom ROMs/kernels capable of overclocking.

A thing I do know is if you dramatically alter the processor speeds you can cause your phone to freeze, resulting in a battery pull/soft reset to recover from.

See this post, this person claims to have used this program. Maybe try sending a PM and see what they know about it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    01-26-2011 03:06 PM
    Ok so I rooted my phone recently with the TrulyEpic ROM and loved it, but my battery was dying pretty quick still due to DK28. I purchased the SetCPU app on the market but I have NO idea how to use it and what the settings are since the help website is no longer a valid URL. Anyone have any tips or hints they can share so I can get the most out of my phone?

Thanks.
    I just went through what you did in the past week (same ROM), and I've managed to actually get a lot of life from my battery.

For SetCPU, I'm using the following settings:
    Main: Max=1000, min=100; Scaling=conservative; Set on boot is checked.
    Profiles enabled. One profile for Screen Off set at 800max, 400min. I found if I went any lower than this, the phone wouldn't wake up, overheated a bit, and killed the battery.

Also, you may want to look into Screen Filter. It lets you dim the screen more than the default minimum. If you're indoors a lot of the day, it helps a lot if you don't need the screen too bright for general use.

With normal use yesterday, I ended the day around 40% battery after an 18 hour day. Today I was bored and have been playing games for at least a few hours and I'm down to 30% after about 12 hours.
    Kikoshi likes this.
    01-26-2011 07:23 PM
    Good info from everyone, thanks I appreciate the feedback!
    01-27-2011 02:24 PM
    I just went through what you did in the past week (same ROM), and I've managed to actually get a lot of life from my battery.

Profiles enabled. One profile for Screen Off set at 800max, 400min. I found if I went any lower than this, the phone wouldn't wake up, overheated a bit, and killed the battery.

Also, you may want to look into Screen Filter. It lets you dim the screen more than the default minimum. If you're indoors a lot of the day, it helps a lot if you don't need the screen too bright for general use.

With normal use yesterday, I ended the day around 40% battery after an 18 hour day. Today I was bored and have been playing games for at least a few hours and I'm down to 30% after about 12 hours.
    Glad I could help you out in the other post. Like jd says, run 100 to 1000 mhz . Conservative only or will start crashing phone. You can not overclock but you can underclock. Screen off profile 800 max, any lower and sometimes phone won't turn screen back on and you have to do a battery pull. I ran this on stock eclair 2.1 and on froyo 2.2 running truly epic rom.
    In advanced settings I set up threshhold to 90 and frequency step to 5% so it will stay at lower frequencies a little more and not jump to 1 ghz all the time when I'm not realy doing anything. Another even bigger help on the battery is to run juice defender wich turns off data cnnection when screen is off.
    Kikoshi likes this.
    01-30-2011 12:11 PM
    You can do 100 mhz min frequency in main and all other profiles as well. Just don't set max any lower than 800 mhz. It will run great at those settings. If you look at info in set cpu and scroll down to time in state you can see how long it runs at each frequency. It will be mosty 100 mhz unless you've bean using your phone a lot.
    01-30-2011 12:15 PM

Since he is trying to save battery life overclocking would make battery life worse. But underclocking does help and works on all kernals, even stock ones.
    01-30-2011 12:32 PM

There really is no point to making a profile if you have your scaling set to conservative.
    What conservative means is that the phone's processor will only run as fast as it needs to, to complete any activities you are currently doing. Try jumping around using the buttons in set cpu and then return to the main homescreen in the app. Youll notice that it will only go up to around 600mhz or something like that.

If you put the scaling to ondemand, the processor will stay at 100mhz until you start jumping around and then itll immediately jump to the max setting.

so really there is not much of a point in setting up a profile when using conservative. in fact i think setting a profile will help decrease your battery faster. Because two reasons, first your phone actually has to remember to switch to that profile using up miniscule amount of memory and power - althoguh more than what would be necessary without it.
    And two, because your minimum setting is higher than the original main setting. so with your screen off, this posters cpu is running at 400 mhz instead of the 100 it would be at without the profile.

just leave it at 100 min and 1000 max with conservative scaling. make sure its set to start at boot up and youll get the max battery life you can while using this app. you can still improve battery using the non root stuff and juice defender - low screen brightness, etc
    Kikoshi likes this.
    02-04-2011 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD