[How To] Wireless Tethering for Root Users

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Tethering, what is this? This allows your device using its WiFi connection to connect to a desktop/laptop and provide internet access in either 3g/4g speed. To use this you must be rooted. Its very simple to setup and use and the best part IT'S FREE.

Lets get started:

*** New Experimental Version ***
wifi_tether_v3_0-pre12.apk

Older versions

Older versions can be downloaded from the link below.

Download List for Wireless Tethering

- Once downloaded/installed start the application, it will prompt you about having root access so answer yes to giving root access.

- Setup your security settings by pressing Menu key then select Settings.

1. Change Device Profile to Samsung Epic 4g
2. Leave setup method untouched
3. Enable WiFi Encryption
4. Change Passphrase (this is the password or key needed for the device example laptop to connect to your device/phone)
5. Change your SSID name (optional), default setting is "AndroidTether" this is what your phone/device will be displayed as.

All other options I left untouched.

Exit setup and start the tethering.

Connect your example, laptop to your phone by searching for "AndroidTether" and connect. If you enabled WiFI Encryption you will be prompted for the Passphrase key you setup. Enter this key and continue, your laptop should now connect!

Your phone will vibrate and show that a connection has been established.

Optional security measures:

- Go back to your phone and on the app press your Menu key and select Access Control and AUTHORIZE your computer that is listed. Exit Access Control.

That's it, your done!

Now your wireless signal is still seen by others but it is protected in two ways. First by use of a pass phrase key and second by means of allowing only authorized clients by MAC-address.

Please keep in mind this is an above normal draw on your phone's battery. If you have the option of plugging your phone to charge while using this application then do so or you will find your battery getting drained quickly.

Misc. Options:

- A log file to track what changes and connections were made.

- You can connect using Bluetooth instead of WiFi, although I have never used this option so don't ask.

- Change your notifications when you connect or a client connects to your tethering.

- Monitor battery temperature.

Last edited:

stormglove

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul thanks for all the help in the forums, I had one question about this in the beginning you say

"This allows your mobile phone using WiFi to connect to a desktop/laptop..."

my question is the way this is worded is that you have to already be on WiFi to get this to work. I'm not trying to be a **** or anything just making sure that's what you meant to say becauseI'm trying to see if I can get wireless tether without being on WiFi before I go and canx my hotspot service. Thanks again for the help.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I will clarify that better. I meant that it will use your phones "WiFi connection" to connect to your laptop/desktop.

When using Wireless Tether your phone will only operate in 3g/4g mode.

Sound better? :cool:

stormglove

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
haha, yes thanks again I just wanted to make sure. I'm still a noob to all this fooling around with phones and still scared a bit I guess and want to make sure i undertand things before i try them, thanks for helping out.

If this works it will be great to save the 30 $ a month or whatver it is. I use the hotspot now on the road for my ipod and laptop so this will be great. Thank you much.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Try both versions, one of the two versions will work.. Remember you must be rooted to use this.

berniemac74

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
wireless tether epic 4g

I'm new to this whole rooting process. I rooted my epic 4g with midnight 3.2 rom, Clock Work 3.0.0.5, and Froyo 2.2 I like the results so far. I have one problem though, I can't get my wireless tether to work on computer or phones. I tried on Iphone and that works but my pc or laptop won't. I am currently using barnacle from market. Is there something I'm doing wrong, maybe a setting not sure. Can you help me out. Thanks

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
On changing tactics;

Hey Paul, I figure this would be a better place to drop issues instead of continuing to clog up the TER thread. :)

As you remember I've been having issues with the wifi tether app. I thought it somehow resolved itself by adding wireless tether to the mix, but this morning I was running Wifi tether just fine with my Nook when the phone shut down. I found that I had to reboot, un/reinstall wifi tether for my nook to be able to reconnect to the internet.

So then again, I was jamming along just fine when I noticed the download speed of my nook was a little low. I looked at the phone and realized my 4G was off and turned it on. The setup ran fine for roughly 5-10 minutes when everything shut down again.

This cycle continued for several repetitions until I realized that, for whatever reason, when I turn the 4G on it crashes shortly thereafter. The last time it did so, the battery was fairly hot. Significantly hotter to the touch then I remember feeling it. Once I got everything back up and running the temp read 104, and that was after sitting for 5 minutes.

The conclusions that I'm slowly coming to are this: it could be a fluke with the app causing arguments with the 4G system/radio/code, the increase in bandwidth and strain on the system is causing high heat in the battery and is shutting down as a safety precaution, I'm a ruhtard and imagining things... :D

If you have further thoughts on this I'd appreciate it. Like I said, it seems to jam along just fine on 3G, albeit with slower speeds then I'd like, but it hasn't crashed. I have been plugged into the computer to keep from killing the battery while running this, which could account for slightly higher batt temps, but not enough to cause a shutdown by itself. Also, the traffic I'm running is a torrent download to the nook through TTorrent, and I'm sadly not seeing any transfer rates near impressive, as expected.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was looking around earlier and some on other sites are reporting slower rates with this new WT. I haven't looked too much into the WT issue yet.

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was looking around earlier and some on other sites are reporting slower rates with this new WT. I haven't looked too much into the WT issue yet.

Yes, well, while slower speeds are a bummer, I'm more concerned about the constant shut down. ;)

Just did it again, but only after I left the wifi tether app to go into sms. I believe the final destination is irrelevant, it's the leaving or accessing other apps or radios maybe? I wonder this because the 4G was up for sometime, usb unplugged, and still getting slow down speeds. Could just be the torrent app, I'll run an official speedtest and get a better idea though.

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Just in case what happened to me happens to anyone else.... I had rooted my phone and had wireless tether with android 2.1 but lost it when doing a manual upgrade to 2.2. turned out i lost root privileges. i re-rooted and it works fine again. although i did notice it put the "super user" icon in bottom right corner of my first app screen. (In between "Earth", and "Email"-- which is the first icon on the 2nd app screen). On the 2nd app screen there is no icon in the bottom right corner, but screen 3 is full. Screen 4 is also missing an icon in the bottom right corner and i don't have enough apps to fill up screen 5.

joshandroid

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Any updates on this and Froyo? I see the link here is for pre3 but the project page has a pre10 version now. Must we use the pre3 still? Any difference once the phone updates to Froyo OTA? Better to have this installed before or after the update (I'm still on Eclair stock but haven't rooted yet, but considering playing before the update). My biggest reason to root would be for wifi tether.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so nothing is seeing this, like it's not sending a signal. Is it the kernel? It says it needs a specific kind to work, and I don't know how to tell if I have said kind.

Genocide_0.3a_EB13_OC-UV_Kernel

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so nothing is seeing this, like it's not sending a signal. Is it the kernel? It says it needs a specific kind to work, and I don't know how to tell if I have said kind.

Genocide_0.3a_EB13_OC-UV_Kernel
I have not tried Wireless Tethering yet on EB13. The kernel could have something to do with it.. I will do a bit of testing here and see what I can find.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@Effenhimer, I just downloaded from the Market "Wireless Tether for Root Users" v2.0.6 and it worked perfectly fine running the Genocide v .03a kernel. It connects to 2 different computers in my house, 1 laptop and one desktop.

Give it a shot.

sandman512

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Currently rooted, running FROYO. Installed Wireless Tethering from the market and was able to tether from my laptop nicely. My question, can all devices tether off my EPIC, ie: ipod touch, Nintendo DS, etc...? THANKS!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Currently rooted, running FROYO. Installed Wireless Tethering from the market and was able to tether from my laptop nicely. My question, can all devices tether off my EPIC, ie: ipod touch, Nintendo DS, etc...? THANKS!

I don't think v2.0.6 in the Market supports infrastructure which is needed for IPOD, XBOX etc... You would have to try the newer version 3.0 pre xx which now support infrastructure mode for those devices, the newer versions are experimental so expect them to be buggy.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I was trying the wifi connection on my Droid. Didn't work. We had been having trouble with her laptop connecting to our POS Belkin router, so its been hooked up through LAN, and I didn't feel like switching over to wireless setup earlier.
Just did. Tether works just fine! 4g speeds are pretty awesome too!! Can't wait to see how much of a difference LTE is gonna make...

Thanks Paul, you're the man!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki