[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Odin to stock with broken screen

nmoreman, yes I would Odin to stock EC05 and wait on the official update.

Your sdcard's will remain untouched and your correct Titanium Backup will no longer work one you go back to stock.

Reactions: nmoreman

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, I have not updated the many leaks out there. One (they are on two different ones),
has worse battery issues at times than stock. Reboot fixes, but will be glad to get GB on
them with no maintenance. Without the rooted roms we run, probably wouldn't have kept
them!! Great developers keep these phones running.
That is what is beautiful with the Nexus, you don't have to do anything - smooth, fast, and great
battery and reception for me. Yes, I finally rooted and running CM7, but such a pleasure not
to "have to"
Miss you guys

themow

May 31, 2011
Visit site

Well my new phone came in and it was a lemon. Tons of issues. Radio turning off screen going black error messages popping up. Odined to see if it would help but did change anything...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Well my new phone came in and it was a lemon. Tons of issues. Radio turning off screen going black error messages popping up. Odined to see if it would help but did change anything...
Go figure.. I fully understand friend, I'm on my 3rd refurbish Epic in a week & half time... I have been trying to work something out with Sprint and haven't had much success to this point.

I have a thread about it here.

My disappointing call to Sprint....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help I Bricked My Phone!

Keep trying different USB ports, different cable if possible...

Also as mentioned in the workarounds...

Remove and leave out your battery then try to connect via USB cable and boot into download mode. See if Odin recognizes the device...

Remove your sdcard.

Shut down all anti virus apps on computer.

If you have a powered USB hub try that, the more power/stronger the juice is going threw the USB line the better the chance it all works...

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I just want to bring it back to good old EC05.
My Phone is currently running on midNIGHT ROM v5.2 with ext 4.
Do you think i should run the Heimdall with the SPH-D700-EC05-8gb-REL.tar?

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I've read a little about that, but Odin has always been my friend. I would use that, 05 files and roll,
that is what I plan to do with my 2 phones. Midnight was wonderful, I don't know if you are having problems, look at his 6.0 GB leak.

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Once its reset to that latest Froyo.
Will i be able to get the regular sprint/samsung update(Gingerbread) when...and if.. it comes out, no problem?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Reset to any of the official builds, Eclair 2.1 DI18/Froyo 2.2 EB13 or the newest Froyo 2.2 EC05 and you will receive the official OTA (over the air) update.

Brewdoc

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have searched through the forum and have not found anyone with this situation. So I am hoping you can help! I was using to Odin to load deodexed EH17 and it stopped my phone turned off and it will not turn back on or go into download mode. Am I just hosed?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I have searched through the forum and have not found anyone with this situation. So I am hoping you can help! I was using to Odin to load deodexed EH17 and it stopped my phone turned off and it will not turn back on or go into download mode. Am I just hosed?
First things first, stay calm and walk away for 5 minutes.
Now that you have relaxed for a bit you can try a few things such as:
1. Different usb cable
2. Different usb port
3. Try running odin without the battery in; ie take the batt out then plug the phone into the comp, then hit 1 plus power and see if it enters download mode.

If these don't work, plug the phone into a wall charger and let it get some charge. In the mean time try restarting your comp.

Once your comp is back up try to odin again.

If this doesn't work search xda epic forums for the heimendall(spelling probably isn't right) restore brick and give that method a try.

If that doesn't work, take it to sprint and tell them that you installed the latest ota and can't figure out what is wrong.

Brewdoc

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
First things first, stay calm and walk away for 5 minutes.
Now that you have relaxed for a bit you can try a few things such as:
1. Different usb cable
2. Different usb port
3. Try running odin without the battery in; ie take the batt out then plug the phone into the comp, then hit 1 plus power and see if it enters download mode.

If these don't work, plug the phone into a wall charger and let it get some charge. In the mean time try restarting your comp.

Once your comp is back up try to odin again.

If this doesn't work search xda epic forums for the heimendall(spelling probably isn't right) restore brick and give that method a try.

If that doesn't work, take it to sprint and tell them that you installed the latest ota and can't figure out what is wrong.
Thanks for the help dtm! I was reading through that xda post a few minutes ago so I took the battery out and will leave alone for a bit while I restart my pc and give it another shot with a different cable.

Thanks again!

Brewdoc

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, followed the steps on first page of this thread and this is all odin showed. Any ideas?

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SPH-D700-EH06-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, followed the steps on first page of this thread and this is all odin showed. Any ideas?

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SPH-D700-EH06-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Ok so I would try again. Make sure every thing is unchecked except auto reboot. Then make sure you are using the pda button and inputing the file there not anywhere else. If it doesn't work the second time I would re-download the file again and try that.

You can also try this .tar file found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...imized-ec05-tar-4-7-2011-fixed-both-tars.html this is stock prerooted and deodexed.

or one of these: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...o-ec05-prerooted-cwm-v2-5-1-0-rfs-odexed.html

Once we can get these to stick I recommend installing CWM via the odin method here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1115999

Once that has worked reboot into CWM and make a backup so you always have a starting point to return to.

Then move to EH17 by flashing it from CWM, the zip can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1242486 this method has less risk than using odin because in the even something gets messed up you can always reboot into CWM and restore your back up.

Last edited:

Brewdoc

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I would try again. Make sure every thing is unchecked except auto reboot. Then make sure you are using the pda button and inputing the file there not anywhere else. If it doesn't work the second time I would re-download the file again and try that.

You can also try this .tar file found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...imized-ec05-tar-4-7-2011-fixed-both-tars.html this is stock prerooted and deodexed.

or one of these: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...o-ec05-prerooted-cwm-v2-5-1-0-rfs-odexed.html

Once we can get these to stick I recommend installing CWM via the odin method here: [RECOVERY][GPL] ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE RFS/EXT4/USB CUSTOM FOR EPIC4G - xda-developers

Once that has worked reboot into CWM and make a backup so you always have a starting point to return to.

Then move to EH17 by flashing it from CWM, the zip can be found here [ROM] Stock/Deodexed update.zip for EH17 (CWM Flashable w/ root) - xda-developers this method has less risk than using odin because in the even something gets messed up you can always reboot into CWM and restore your back up.
Ok, I have tried it twice with that Froyo EC05 you posted the link to and it fails at the "KERNEL" stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol