AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Source: CyanogenMod 6.2 for Epic BETA 1 [Support IRC]

Developers/Credit: noobnl, CMSGSTeam, skeeterslint, forcystos

Features:

3D is working (credit: noobnl)
2D is working (credit: noobnl)
Radio is working (credit: forcystos, noobnl)
WiFi is working (credit: forcystos, noobnl)
3g data is working (credit: forcystos)
Sensors & GPS is working (credit: noobnl, CMSGSTeam)
Audio / Sound is fixed (credit: forcystos, skeeterslint,Meat|m(#samsung-epic), CMSGSTeam)
Bluetooth is fixed (credit: noobnl, CMSGSTeam)
Camera is working (credit: skeeterslint, CMSGSTeam)
fixed: 3g data is still a bit hacky and need to be cleaned up (credit: forcystos)
FIXED: Bluetooth AD2P Media Stereo Audio (credit: noobnl)
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT using ARCH_ARM_HAVE_TLS_REGISTER: 14.25 MFLOP in Linpack (credit: noobnl)
FIXED: Nexus S audio is working and fixes a bunch of audio issues (credit: Samdroid Samsung Galaxy Spica Team)
Misc fixes: enabled debug in audio, and Fixes multitouch issue with Google map 5.0 (credit: noobnl, CMSGSTeam)
Fixes: moved to CyanogenMod 6.2.0 & fixes some bt calling routing issues & Fixes Wifi DCHP (credit: noobnl, CMSGSTeam, Samdroid Samsung Galaxy Spica Team)
Prebeta 11.1: Video playback is fixed (credit: noobnl)
Prebeta 12.1: audio fixes dealing with routing (credit: noobnl, Samdroid Samsung Galaxy Spica Team)
Prebeta 13.1: audio fixes, MultiFS, WiFi Fixes, Phone Blackscreen fix (credit: Dameon, noobnl, CMSGSTeam)
Prebeta 14: Audio recording bugs fixed and add init.d support (credit: noobnl, Samdroid Samsung Galaxy Spica Team)
Prebeta 15.2: Audio volume curve fixed and wifi is fixed and no longer showing visual glitches, adds 210 symbolic links to busybox & toolbox, wifi tether app is fixed (credit: noobnl)
Prebeta 15.3.4: remove kernel and fixes using edify script ( fixes CWM3) (credit: noobnl)
BETA 0: 3g visual fixes, 3g bug fixes, hardware 2d & video acceleration via copybit.s5pc110.so , merge from gingerbread commits, and added swype (broken) (credit: noobnl, Forcycos)
BETA 1: update to EB13, http streaming have been fixed!!

TOP Priority:
MMS is broken
Audio routing issue in bluetooth calls & outgoing calls

LOW priority:
black and white preview but color picture, video recording is crashing

NEVER going to be fixed anytime soon:
Built in WiFi tether (workaround: use wifi tether app)

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Beta 1 is pretty usable, depending on your needs. Some things I noticed: MMS broken, signal strength meter has glitches, video playback broken, video recording broken, LED broken, no 4G, included ADW launcher laggy (easily fixable), multiple buttons can wake phone, max speaker volume is low.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I understand the idea here is stock Android- but I've never actually used a phone with this rom- are they trying to remove EVERYTHING so it truly is vanilla android (including calendar, contacts etc?)

Are the advantages that great in comparison to TER?

I thought what was done with that and using AM launcher as a replacement got most folks just what they needed - my only wish would be for a non samsung email client- as the Epic's definitely has some drawbacks.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
They haven't removed anything. CyanogenMod is not based on Samsung's Froyo built - it's pure Android, based on the Nexus version. Which also means it has zero TouchWiz/Samsung elements.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into cyanogenmod and have some questions?

The stock loaded apps that can't be uninstalled from the official android install, will they not be installed if I use cyanogenmod? I ask because with one or two exceptions these stock loaded apps I don't want because I will likely never use them.

Once I have cyanogenmod will I be able to install sprint navigation? It's the only stock app I for sure use. Possibly sprint tv and sprint mobile hotspot if I ever have a reason though I never used them before for the last 3 or 4 years or however long those services have been available whichever is shortest. Also what about swype? I didn't think I would like it but I have used it a few times and would like to continue to be able to use it for those times I don't use the HW KB. I assume cyanogenmod has the same browser, calculator, calendar, camera, clock (alarm clock), contacts, email, messaging, google maps, latitude, phone, settings, voice dialer, and voice search that come preloaded on the epic 4G? Places (by google??) and navigation (by google) I'm not sure if I'll use since I'm accustom to using sprint navigation and ATT yellowpages.

Is ADWlauncher the stock launcher for cyanogenmod? I like this launcher as it appears to be everything I want. But one thing that bothers me is that it is always shown in the task list. Also I'm assuming it is running on top of the epic's stock launcher instead of in place of. Kind of like running a virtual machine on an OS. Also what about widgets? I assume all of the default android ones and those for apps I install will be available but what about the samsung widgets? One thing I was surprised about was that they aren't available to be added to ADWlauncher pages. Is that a limitation? Or is it because the samsung widgets are built into their launcher and not like other widgets that are standalone so to speak?

Last but not least. I'm new to android, this being the end of my second week with the epic as my first android device but not first smartphone (had BBcurve and palm pre), is there anything else about cyanogenmod I should, need, or helpful to know before deciding to use it?

eck74

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but there is no working cyanogenmod on the Epic yet. There is one person working on 6.2 for the Epic and a couple working on CM7 also. 7 will use Gingerbread and they are trying to make it so it is an official cyanogenmod rom.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The stock loaded apps that can't be uninstalled from the official android install, will they not be installed if I use cyanogenmod? I ask because with one or two exceptions these stock loaded apps I don't want because I will likely never use them.

No, they will be optional installs.

Once I have cyanogenmod will I be able to install sprint navigation? It's the only stock app I for sure use. Possibly sprint tv and sprint mobile hotspot if I ever have a reason though I never used them before for the last 3 or 4 years or however long those services have been available whichever is shortest.

Yes.

Also what about swype? I didn't think I would like it but I have used it a few times and would like to continue to be able to use it for those times I don't use the HW KB.

Swype is currently broken when using CyanogenMod.

I assume cyanogenmod has the same browser, calculator, calendar, camera, clock (alarm clock), contacts, email, messaging, google maps, latitude, phone, settings, voice dialer, and voice search that come preloaded on the epic 4G?

No, different versions - the ones created directly by Google.

Places (by google??) and navigation (by google) I'm not sure if I'll use since I'm accustom to using sprint navigation and ATT yellowpages.

See anwer #1.

Is ADWlauncher the stock launcher for cyanogenmod? I like this launcher as it appears to be everything I want.

Yes.

But one thing that bothers me is that it is always shown in the task list. Also I'm assuming it is running on top of the epic's stock launcher instead of in place of. Kind of like running a virtual machine on an OS.

There is no TouchWiz launcher in Cyanogen, and ADW is uninstallable.

Also what about widgets? I assume all of the default android ones and those for apps I install will be available but what about the samsung widgets? One thing I was surprised about was that they aren't available to be added to ADWlauncher pages. Is that a limitation? Or is it because the samsung widgets are built into their launcher and not like other widgets that are standalone so to speak?

Bold quote is correct. Must use Samsung's launcher to use Samsung's widgets, which is not included in CyanogenMod.

Last but not least. I'm new to android, this being the end of my second week with the epic as my first android device but not first smartphone (had BBcurve and palm pre), is there anything else about cyanogenmod I should, need, or helpful to know before deciding to use it?

See prior posts in this thread.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Things should be moving along a lot better now that they have an official source code for Froyo on the Epic to use pieces from if need be. It will happen just like anything else it takes time to make thing work correctly especially when you know so many people are interested in using it.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Things should be moving along a lot better now that they have an official source code for Froyo on the Epic to use pieces from if need be. It will happen just like anything else it takes time to make thing work correctly especially when you know so many people are interested in using it.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: CyanogenMod6.2 is no longer being developed for the Epic.

Good news: CyanogenMod7 is :D

Last edited:

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought noobnl passed the torch on 6.2 to other devs and 7 was being made from scratch by TeamEpicCM7. So there were 2 teams working on different stuffs.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought noobnl passed the torch on 6.2 to other devs and 7 was being made from scratch by TeamEpicCM7. So there were 2 teams working on different stuffs.
Nope the 6.2 devs stopped, particularly noobln. He did turn over his work to assist in the development in CM7.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I think that's better for us anyway. Get as many devices on the same update schedule.

I'd be very curious to try this, as I'd like to see the stock email/calendar over the touchwiz one (assuming it's better, less bugs- better exchange support but perhaps I'm wrong)?

Will wait till this is more solid- right now I'll stick with TER or ACE.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Are we able to use CM7 now or is it a wait for CM7 to pass RC to full release for us? I haven't looked at other ROMs since it seems based on popularity to be the best. I just want more control over my device I don't like stuff running that doesn't need to be and stuff installed I will never use. I even do that on my pc. Speaking of the calendar the one that is installed on the epic seems junky. I have many appointments that recur on schedules like every 3 days or 5 days and because the calendar ports over all of my appointments without the reminder settings I can't recreated them or edit them to include the reminder because the calendar doesn't have the special case types for the recurrence interval. I hope this is not an issue with the one in CM. Heck I assume because it is android that all the PIM apps on the epic were designed by google. But based on the previous reply to my question it appears I was incorrect in my assumption. Not sure why samsung would want to make their own versions of the PIM type apps.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there an ETC on CM7 for us Epic users? I have it on my gtab... and dont get me wrong, i LOVE ACE v1.7... but i'm always interested in trying new things now that i know what i'm doing. I wish i knew how to do whatever you devs/programmers do so i could take my favorite features from ACE, cyan, midNIGHT, bonzai, and syndicate and mix them all into one uber-custom rom.